PC's and Overclocking

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
PC's and Overclocking
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 at 10:38 Quote
Well it falls into the offtopic and I've seen a few PB users with good pictures of PC's but im wondering if you are actually overclocking them.

I'm currently in the phase of building a new pc and the one which i have now which i also built to replace my AMD x2 system which had the fatal memory error beep. I've decided to overclock my P4 system until i get the new one.

Made sure the airflow in my case is suitable and also got a seperate fan and attatched it to my GPU heatsink, I will be ordered a huge heatsink soon for the card its only a Inno3d 7600GS card (512mb). It works well for games like Bf2, Bf2142 however not so well with a 3Ghz P4.

Anyway, So far I've only been able to overclock my gfx card and the results are as followed.

From Default 400Mhz Core, 333Mhz Memory. I Managed to bump it up to 520Mhz Core and 460Mhz Memory. It's running stable and I've put it through hours of testing and then run a bit of UT2004 for a while as thats pretty sensitive to overclocking. ~

If I up the card to 530Mhz it still works but anything above that it becomes fairly unstable and reaching like 540Mhz the card dies and the system restarts.

With the memory I can run it at 470Mhz using ATItool and having no problems, the second i up above 470Mhz I start getting errors, So i thought what the hell and upped it to 480Mhz, the second i clicked "Set Clock" My screen faded and I could vaguely work out the background of my pc which flashed every 5 seconds or so haha. Anyway back to 520Mhz and 460Mhz Its running pretty smoothly and gaming is going ok with it. Theres like a 20fps increase on Bf2. Also about a 28fps increase on the 3d cube on ATItool.

Anyway I dont understand how to Overclock a P4. I know you need to make sure theres sufficient cooling etc and I can imagine there is in this case... 5 case fans, the PSU fans CPU fan and the GPU fan(which is incredibly small). I'm running a Asrock P4VM890, Apparently the only board with a 478 Socket and a PCI-express slot. With 1024mb of DDR 333Mhz ram, Yes its slow ram but It seeming to work well.
This board seems to suffer a SATA problem and I just can't get it to detect the drive whenever I plug it in. I don't know if this is because when i went to install XP i didnt install the extra sata drivers because I thought that was just if i was installing XP ON the sata drive.

Anyway, Any advice would be brilliant etc, also some of your past acheivements maybe could be interesting to discuss.

My new rig should be pretty beastly when its built, starting it with a e6850 (£90) and 2 x 2048mb ram, 800w sli power supply. An Asus board (can't remember hte name with 3 pci-e slots, and simply overclocking abilities) Also a raptor drive just for games however in the future i may invest in a few to do raid and spread XP or Vista if i can in the future and games over them for a better loading time. Then i plan to dual sli when i decide to buy the higher end games. At the moment I'm still into my battlefields and counter strike.

So yeh feel free to post.

Posted: Feb 11, 2008 at 11:54 Quote
I have been overclocking for a year or so now. I've never tried a P4, but I heard once that it was more difficult than usual. I currently am using an Asus p5k-vm, pretty good overclocker for a mATX board with an e6750. I have my e6750 up to 3.4 Ghz completely stable (prime 95 for like 20 hours). I have a Zalman and it keeps things around 50 celcius at load, which is pretty acceptable for the new Intels. Overclocking is a good way to get some extra life out of a PC for sure.

Your gonna want to read some (a lot of) guides on overclocking, but basically you need a good program for temperatures (a lot of people use coretemp). You also need a good stress-testing program (prime 95, orthos, etc.) and then you need to run it every time you make changes to your clock. You should run it for at least 8 hours, but some programs boast they need less time and some programs say they need more time. During this "test" you will want to monitor your temps, making sure they stay below a certain level (not sure for the p4's). You probably have adequate cooling, but there's more to it than that. It takes a lot of reading.

Posted: Feb 11, 2008 at 12:00 Quote
There's also a technology forum, you might want to check that out for some more info on computers.

Posted: Feb 11, 2008 at 12:05 Quote
For GFX cards, I find overclocking them safely unbelievabley simple. Theres no need for FSB mutlipliers etc etc. However I'm considering doing a voltage mod on my GFX card as I've read that they pushed the card up to 750Mhz Core from 400Mhz when they modified the voltage. They used a huge heatsink and multiple fans. However even with a voltage mod their memory clock is lower than mine is capable of acheiving safely.

It's quite enjoyable to load up a game and find that your frame rate has dramatically increased and that its smoother than you could of imagined. It's quite addictive trying to push it though as well.

CPU/RAM/PCI-e Buses and all that seems like a totally different league. I've been reading for the past few weeks on articles on how they did it etc. Still unsure how to start it with mine.

My Motherboard has 2 overclocking safety features. However i'm suppose to be able to overclock in the BIOS yet when Theres only one thing i can change to do with the CPU but i haven't fully studied that yet.

Posted: Feb 11, 2008 at 12:19 Quote
The overclocking itself depends wholly on the motherboard, unless you use a program, which doesn't usually yield as good results as possible. I learned from the site www.tech-forums.net and overclock.net. There is a wealth of info on those sites, and helpful people if you are looking for more prompt help for your exact board/chip. I'm not saying people here can't help, but the chances are smaller someone knows your exact situation. I think it's about time we had an overclocking thread though.

Posted: Feb 11, 2008 at 12:21 Quote
jakebrick wrote:
I think it's about time we had an overclocking thread though.

Yeh I thought that too, I've been fiddling with my PC's for a while now and building them myself just not pushing them. So I thought since i'm starting to overclock my PC rather than just my GFX card it could be interesting to see what other PB users have acheived.

Thanks for the sites, some of the overclocking ones I dont want to join because I just feel like joining onto the site not contributing since i'm a noob and then asking a straight question like How would i overclock "insert something highly specific" would be a little rude haha.

You play BF2 or BF2142 by any chance?

Posted: Feb 11, 2008 at 12:25 Quote
I mostly play cs:source, but there was a thread in the computer section about pinkbikers that played different online games.

Posted: Feb 11, 2008 at 12:33 Quote
jakebrick wrote:
I mostly play cs:source, but there was a thread in the computer section about pinkbikers that played different online games.

After sorting out the clockage on my GFX, Clockage... what a good word. I put everything maxed out on my HL2 video settings. Counter strike was so buttery smooth and like a 60 - 80fps I was impressed. Before the overclock the GFX could cope with maxed out settings quite well but not anywhere near as smoothly!

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 4:43 Quote
please take down that link -.-' im sure most of us wouldnt like to be hacked.

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 6:13 Quote
I've been overclocking for about 4 months now. I've successfully overclocked my CPU by 50.4%. I have an Intel i7 950 currently OC'd to 4.2Ghz and very stable. I've been running Intel Burn Test for all my stability tests. I can run it on maximum settings for 20 loops at max no problem. I've also completed an "Extreme" loop which I heard is damn nearly impossible. Although Iève never OC's my GPU, I might try and do that in the next week or so. Anyone have experience OC'ing a GTX 295?

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 6:14 Quote
EmteeHayze wrote:

and what are yo talking about?....I dont think the link is fake or a hack...

p.s. Could a mod move this to the "Technology" section...Probably belongs there.

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 6:19 Quote
chads wrote:
EmteeHayze wrote:

and what are yo talking about?....I dont think the link is fake or a hack...

p.s. Could a mod move this to the "Technology" section...Probably belongs there.
Oh I assumed wrong, after clicking "add" i realise it was legit but steam just playing with words. Sorry, just because i know 2 people on my friends list who have been hacked by similar sites.

Posted: Feb 10, 2010 at 12:36 Quote
I've been overclocking for years now including unlocking the extra cache on the old Celeron. I find overclocking a GPU is not generally worth it as they tend to die much faster then an overclocked CPU.

Last year I had my q6600 up to 4.4 on a liquid/peltier hybrid cooler but got tired of the noise. now I have undervolted the cpu and run my case fan-less except for the video card fan. If you really want to make your computer seem snappier I would suggest running a raid stripe.

The Ham

Posted: Feb 11, 2010 at 13:21 Quote
whats overclocking?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012056
Mobile Version of Website