Bird Aeris 120 - looking for feedback

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Bird Aeris 120 - looking for feedback
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 6, 2017 at 0:56 Quote
Hi
I'm looking for a new trail bike and am narrowing down to the YT Jeffsy 29er and the Bird Aeris 120 (though open to change). There's quite a lot of info and opinion on the Jeffsy but not so much on on the Aeris - unsurprising as it's a much smaller brand focused on the UK.

Anyway - does anyone have a 120 or have you tested one? If so could you share your experience and opinion please? cheers

O+
Posted: Apr 6, 2017 at 17:02 Quote
Here is a review for both the 120 and 145 Aeris from the same guy.
I think more importantly, which do you really want more, 29er or a 27.5 bike?

O+
Posted: Apr 6, 2017 at 17:10 Quote
There's also this review of the longer 145.
http://enduro-mtb.com/en/exclusive-first-ride-the-new-bird-aeris-145/.
Sounds like bit the 120 and 145 are amazing bikes.

Posted: Apr 7, 2017 at 1:30 Quote
thanks - did you miss the link from your first post? was it this one?
https://stealthriders.com/2017/01/20/bird-aeris-one20-review/

I'm not too bothered about the wheelsize, more about the capability and ride of the bike - it needs to climb well, be suitable for long xc rides as well as trail centre stuff and descend competently (with me on it, that's a challenge Smile ) + be home maintenance friendly ideally . I did start out looking only at 27.5" trail bikes but reviews of some of the short travel 29ers made me start looking a bit wider.

Anyway, the Aeris ticks my main boxes on paper and I had some quick a helpful responses from the guys at the company when asking about spec so I'm tending towards it. They ran a demo about an hour away from me but I couldn't get time off work to go unfortunately... that could have sealed the deal

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2017 at 1:40 Quote
Yeah that was the link I missed. Sorry about that. I think the Aeris 145 would probably be your best bet. There's probably not much of a difference in climbing efficiency between the the 120 and 145 version since you could get shocks and forks with lockouts. The big difference would be between 27.5 and 29er wheels. The 29er will maintain speed better but the 27.5 will pick up speed faster and be easier to maneuver around and pick up and place around the trail. On the Aeris 145 you will definitely descend much easier and more comfortably than the 120 so that's why I would go with the 145. I'm contemplating picking up the Aeris 120 but that's only because I already have a Whyte G160 Enduro beast. If I didn't have a big hitting Enduro bike I would pick the 145 over the 120 as well.

Posted: Apr 8, 2017 at 8:59 Quote
Hey, no problem. I have considered longer travel bikes but i think they'd be overkill for most of the riding i do. Incidentally, I've also been looking at the Whyte T130… it's more expensive but i can get a discount through a scheme with my employer. Looks a great bike and would be easier to demo - too much choice!

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2017 at 12:56 Quote
If it's too much bike then yeah go with 120-130mm bike. Try the Whyte T130 you'll probably love it and probably rides much like the Aeris 120. There's a reason the T130 gets so good reviews and wins bike tests. I wanted the T130 but when I was buying, in the US, they were all out of them in every model and only had the G160 in stock. The G160 is a phenomenal bike but like you've mentioned, too much bike for much of the riding I do as well. Even though it seems to pedal better, though not faster, than most other shorter travel bikes I've tried. Give the 130 a try since it's easiest to try and then you can see what a small travel bike like that is all about.

Posted: Apr 15, 2017 at 13:18 Quote
well I've taken the plunge and ordered an Aeris 120 with the GX spec - hoping to get it in a couple of weeks so I'll drop some notes down once I've had a chance for a proper test ride.

Posted: May 4, 2017 at 6:35 Quote
How is the Aeris Joemmo? Following this thread with interest as I am about to maybe order one in the same GX spec. What extras did you go for? I am torn between pike/yari, GX/SLX and blue/orange. How is the GX gearing? I really cant decide which to go for.

Posted: May 9, 2017 at 13:14 Quote
Hi there - I can't tell you yet because the flipping courier took it to the wrong address! Hopefully they'll redeliver properly tomorrow but sadly it'll probably be too late for for my trip to the lakes, leaving after work ... bit disappointed.

Anyway, I went for the GX spec ML size (5' 10" with 33" inside leg and short arms!) in the blue with the boost sized Yari and the DT Swiss M502 wheelset, Minion / High Roller combo and a 150mm Reverb - everything else was the stock spec - oh and an orange Hope seatclamp Smile
It came to £2545 in total, which is pretty much the same as a Whyte T-130S in the end but with better wheels and finishing kit.

I really enjoyed mulling over the component choice - this is a big investment for me and having some options to choose from was part of the fun. This is the first off-the-shelf bike I've bought for 15 years as I've always built up from the frame so it was good to still get some of that ability to pick and choose.

If you have any questions I would recommend giving Bird a ring, they are super helpful. I wasn't sure whether to go SLX or GX but after a chat with (I think it was) Ben he recommended GX for reliability, helped me decide on tyres and was able to advise on the max size dropper I could fit for my leg length. The decision to go with SRAM was a tricky one for me as I've always been a shimano fan but I'm willing to give it a shot.

I also struggled with the colour choice, if they'd done the 120 in the tangerine orange like the 145 it would have been no contest but I'm less keen on metallics so went for blue and am adding a few bits of orange trinketry to personalise it.

Well I guess it'll be in a box for a few more days but I'll give it a run out ASAP and report back - cheers

Posted: May 14, 2017 at 8:33 Quote
I just tried to Aeris 120 (with Pikes and RT3 Shock) around Swinley red-blue as I'd heard such good things about Bird. I'd also been considering a Whyte T130 after riding a friends and liking it a lot more than my current 2015 Cannondale Trigger, which was just too much bike for the riding I do.

In short I just bought one in Orange, it was excellent. The slack geometry makes this a very stable bike, and it climbs well for a 130. Didn't notice any issues with pedal bob and it kept traction well in muddy or loose sections. Handling was very predictable and playful. Frame seems plenty stiff enough and I didn't notice any flex at all. But most of all this was really fun in fast downhill technical sections... it just made me feel like a much more competent rider. Jumps and drop offs were a breeze as the balance and suspension worked so well to keep everything in check.

Can't wait to get mine in a few days time Smile

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 4:57 Quote
Do report back on the first ride Joemmo, Ive heard nothing but good things on the Bird Aeris and everyone that's bought one has said the after sales is nothing short of fantastic.

I am also contemplating adding the Aeris 120 to my ever growing fleet but thinking of the XT spec'd model.

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 5:09 Quote
Nice! - I just got mine assembled last night and am waiting for the rain to stop for it's first proper ride out on my 'doorstep' trails.

@Reprobate? What spec did you go for?

First impressions from a visual POV:

The frame build quality looks really solid, it doesn't have the smoothed-over welding you get on some other brands but the welds are tidy and all the machined sections are purposeful, substantial and well finished. Some might not like the external cabling / hosing but for me its a big plus from a maintenance perspective as is the threaded external BB.
There is some tube forming on the main frame but again it looks like it's there for a reason and not just to look 'techy'. Plenty of clearance of the fork crown and downtube too. I pulled out the seatpost to check the finishing around the collar and seatpost and it's good, no burrs or sharp edges to scratch the reverb Smile

I went for the blue and it looks great IMO, paint finish looks very nice and the decals are under a lacquer coat as you'd expect. I've finished it off with some anodised orange bits for a little contrast and will be putting a bit of tape here and there to protect against the cables and rubbing points.

As far as the size is concerned, the ML feels spot on for me. The position is not that different to my old bike but there's a real feeling of the front wheel being further out ahead. It has a 150mm dropper and it might just have been OK with the 170 but I doubt that'll be an regret. My inseam is 33" / 85cm. The bars feel massive at 760 and I can see myself cutting them down a bit but will give them a decent a try first.

The other big impression is the tyre size (27.5x2.3) with the 30mm rims - the volume looks huge compared to a 26x2.2 but there is still clearance out back to go a little wider.

This is my first full SRAM spec bike and I'll hold back real opinions until I've had a decent test period but the shifting feels super positive and 'clicky' out of the box. I'm not totally sure of where GX sits in terms of the hierarchy of drivetrains compared to Shimano - the component finish seems OK but not as refined as SLX or XT but time will tell.

I'll try and get a pic tonight before it gets dirty Smile

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 6:43 Quote
@joemmo

I just bought the frame and some ex-display Pikes as I've already got some newish parts to swap from the last bike. Final build will be:

Aeris Frame (Orange Large)
Pike RCT3
DebonAir Deluxe Shock
Easton Vice XLT Wheelset
XT 1x11 Groupset
SLX Brakes
Rockshox Reverb Dropper
Easton Havoc 35 DH Bars

Also I'd try sticking with the 760 bars for a while before cutting them, you might be surprised how much you come to appreciate the extra width after a few weeks, especially with a 40mm stem.

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 7:28 Quote
Cheers - that'll be a nice build and thanks for the advice on the bars, I'll definitely give them a good test before deciding to wield the hacksaw.

I did consider building from frame as well but there's not enough parts from my old bike that would even fit the Aeris frame to make it worthwhile

Please post a pic here when you're done - here's mine:

Bird Aeris 120

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015435
Mobile Version of Website