UK bike tour

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
UK bike tour
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 7, 2017 at 21:40 Quote
I've been picking my brain for a year and thinking of the perfect place to tour on my bike for a month. After some digging and lots of consideration I've decided that the UK from top to bottom is where it's at.
I am looking for people willing to show me the wonders that the islands mountain ranges have to offer! I'm considering October 2017 that's a tentative date if weather permits.

What is the weather like there in October? Are there people out there willing to take a Canadian ripper out on adventures? Beer would be involved, probably camping and a bunch of biking and good times for everyone. Half looking for places to crash and half people to make this trip a memorable one!!
Cheers!

Any information would be awesome. I'm in Nanaimo BC on Vancouver Island and would be willing to accommodate anyone if they were ever coming over this way. Nanaimo is 2.5 hours away from the legendary north shore and 4 from whistler.

FL
Posted: Apr 10, 2017 at 23:07 Quote
Interesting you are coming to the UK for the "perfect place to tour on my bike"! I'd of thought BC would be better, but full respect for getting out to see new places!

The UK doesn't really have huge mountains, in general riding is focused on lots of smaller spots dotted around.

If I was doing a trip, I'd probably not bother too much in England, Wales and Scotland have the best riding.

I'd start in south Wales, maybe Bike Park Wales , then to one of the nearby trail centres (Afan or Cwmcarn, try and get a local to show you some off piste) then head up to north Wales, check out Revolution, Coed Y Brenin etc, then maybe dip into England for Lakes/Peak district jaunt. Finally I'd head up to Scotland. I haven't ridden there personally, but everyone I've spoken to that has loves it. Lots of opportunity for big epic days staying over in bothies.

The weather in October will be similar to Vancouver in temperature and precipitation.

As this is the only response you've had, I'd suggest asking on the SingletrackWorld forum, it's more active and mainly UK focused.

Posted: Apr 11, 2017 at 0:11 Quote
It's cool that you're thinking about visiting the UK for a tour but in all honesty, if I was going to the trouble of flying over from Canada then I'd head a bit further east to the Alps, Pyrenees, Scandinavia or generally somewhere more mountainous and spectacular. Consider how you are going to get around as well, public transport in the UK is pretty dire and expensive and it's even harder if you're planning to bring a bike with you.

There is some great riding here but like the poster above says I don't think you're going to be wowed by it if you are used to terrain of BC.

Posted: Apr 11, 2017 at 19:59 Quote
Thanks for the feedback! I've been fortunate enough to tour all over BC for riding. Ridden from vancouver island to all over the Kootenay region Squamish vancouver fernie and a lot more. I was thinking UK for Scotland and Wales I've read that they offer some great all day Enduro style epics.

I would love to check out the alps and the bigger mountain regions as I'm used to the big chunky terrain. I was thinking UK for tourism and riding. Kind of a fan of castles and what not and my dad went there a few years back he said it was a trip worth taking. Had an idea of riding from Scotland to Wales and stopping here and there to scale a mountain or rolling hill whichever shows up first.

I didn't even consider Scandinavia, that may be a great option! I considered mexico because I'd like to see the monarch butterfly migration with my daughter.

Honestly I don't care too much about the gnar factor I'm super happy riding my bike anywhere anytime, I'll lap a hill in Alberta 1000 times over if it means I get to spin my wheels in the dirt.

FL
Posted: Apr 11, 2017 at 23:03 Quote
Ah ok, that makes sense then. Yes I reckon you'd find what you're looking for in Scotland and Wales for sure.

In October I don't think many of the lifts will be open in the alps.

Riding from Scotland you Wales would be a proper experience! I'd suggest that in October, it might be a bit miserable weather wise.

I think a good idea would be to find 3/4 "bases" you could stay in for a few nights and then plan some rides out from them.

If you're looking for some inspiration, check out the video in this post: http://tomsbiketrip.com/two-mountain-bike-bothy-adventures-across-the-scottish-highlands/

Posted: Apr 12, 2017 at 5:52 Quote
There's something about the UK mountains and all the scenery that just blows my mind. It's beautiful! Thank you for that video it was fantastic and your completely right about inspiration.

Naturally while watching the video I was planning lines down the steeper sections of mountain to the left and right hah. I think the UK trip will be all about the freedom that making offers and the ability to make choices on a whim

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009368
Mobile Version of Website