Creaking coming from pivots or shock. What should i do?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Creaking coming from pivots or shock. What should i do?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 9, 2017 at 8:35 Quote
i have a creak/squeak noise coming from bearings or shock, i have greased all the bearing and bolts on the frame and i have adjusted the pre load on the shock and its still giving off a bit of squeak but not as much. This is all started happening after my last run at revolution Bike park. Can any one help me?

Posted: Apr 9, 2017 at 8:44 Quote
When you say that you greased all the bolts/bearings .. did you actually remove the bolts and linkages and clean them first? then did you grease the actual bearings, buy removing the dust seals first?

Posted: Apr 9, 2017 at 8:50 Quote
What material is your frame made of? Carbon frames tend to enhance (make louder) any squeaks and creaks.

Check that all your pivots are tight and freshly greased including your headset as you thoroughly inspect for any cracks in the frame.

The shock itself could be making the squeak. When was it last serviced? Maybe it's due for some fresh oil and seals.

Good luck

Posted: Apr 9, 2017 at 8:54 Quote
Does it creak when feet or on pedals? Could be bottom bracket if so.

As said above its no good just greasing outside of bearings you need to remove the seals to get the grease inside

Posted: Apr 9, 2017 at 9:04 Quote
i took everything out and greased the rods and pivots and anywhere i could put grease. i have a al giant glory advanced 1, and it creaks when i apply preasure on the seat, ve also took seat off to see if creak is still there and it is.

Posted: Apr 9, 2017 at 9:08 Quote
the creak doesnt happen when im stood in riding position and bounce up and down, just when i sit or apply force to rear of front triangle

Posted: Apr 9, 2017 at 9:55 Quote
dm now i have fixed it the preload was too tight and was rubbing

Sounds like it's not the BB. It could still be in the headset ... so try isolate that, just to be sure.

If you didn't remove the dust seals from the bearings and put grease directly on the bearing, that is still a possibility. I would suggest doing that, not only because it may eliminate the squeak, but because it's just really good preventative maintenance.

as said earlier, Its could also be in the shock, and I am not sure if you have cleaned and lubed the shock yet... but a little lube on the seal may help you out.

...creaks and moans can be hard to figure. Sometime you just have to cast a really wide net, and really get into everything.. most of the time, you will never really know where the sound was coming from.

plumbMTB wrote:
dm now i have fixed it the preload was too tight and was rubbing

nice find!

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008654
Mobile Version of Website