Buying Used vs. New bikes

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Buying Used vs. New bikes
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 10, 2017 at 0:21 Quote
As many of us often are as mountain bikers, I am in the market for a new AM/enduro mountain bike. I outgrew my current frame size and looking for a complete bike. I've been talking to my local bike shops and I'm liking the Transition Patrol 4 at 3000$. However, I can find used bikes (on pinkbike and such) for much less, often with much better parts, carbon frames, and that don't look too beat up either. I'm wondering what kind of benefits you really get from buying a new bike (from a local shop or other) as opposed to getting a seemingly much nicer overall bike used?

Posted: Apr 10, 2017 at 4:08 Quote
Warranty, that's probably it.

Never bought a new bike, always bought used.

Posted: Apr 10, 2017 at 4:55 Quote
No hidden surprises and someone with a vested interest in looking after you on top of the warranty.

Posted: Apr 10, 2017 at 5:10 Quote
With used carbon frame its very hard to tell if its damaged internally, because for proper inspection you would need some ultrasound/xray inspection. You can see only obvious scratched and/or cracks. With aluminium you can see i.e. dents, with carbon you wont see anything on outside, but can be weakened on that spot. For me, used ALU bike yes (if price is at least 50% down from new one), carbon no.
With new bike you get warranty (lifetime on frames at some brands, depends) and someone to yell at when something is wrong. And most of the time no hidden surprises :-)

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014127
Mobile Version of Website