Which bike to go for?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Which bike to go for?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 10, 2017 at 17:10 Quote
Looking to get a slopestyle/freeride bike that can also work as abit of an ''all rounder''.

I've been out of riding for a looooong time so not too familiar with whats out there at the moment, but doesn't seem like they come up for sale all that often. Anyway, some examples of frames I really like:

Transition bottlerocket
Orange blood
Santa Cruz VP Free
Banshee Wildcard

They all just look really clean and simple and that's what i'm after, but many are quite old now and not that available 2nd hand. What is todays equivalent of the bottlerocket? Is there any bikes I've completely overlooked? Finally, if anyone has something nice for sale in size large, hit me up Wink

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 13, 2017 at 10:05 Quote
well i i have the modern iteration of the bottle rocket (the triple) but the travel has been reduced over the years. my main ride is a canfield balance and it rocks as a freeride type bike (especially with a coil in the back). it pedals well, it is slack, short rear end, and i think it is a gorgeous bike

Posted: Apr 13, 2017 at 14:17 Quote
Yea not sure why they stopped making the bottlerockets, almost impossible to get hold of a 2nd hand one size large aswell :s. The commencal meta 4x look really nice too, but again same problem....

Posted: Apr 13, 2017 at 16:43 Quote
Morpheus skyla too, though it is only 4" travel

Posted: Apr 15, 2017 at 8:26 Quote
If you're going to buy a new bike, buy a NEW bike.. A LOT has changed in the last few years.. I'm in the same boat too with a 2011 DH bike, it does one thing..
A lot of the newer frames have flip chips to change geo, you could potentially grind up, flip the chips and blast down..
You mention Banshee, the Darside or Rune look to be tasty options.. Ive got my eyes on a Darkside myself, looks super fun..

Posted: Apr 15, 2017 at 12:04 Quote
If I could buy new I would, but unfortunately I don't have the budget for that at the moment. The skyla and darkside both look really nice btw.... Seems like the trend at the moment is enduro and that's what the majority of bikes available on the 2nd hand market are. I'm really after a mid travel 'freeride/general fun' bike that can hit some dirt jumps and isn't a total pig to pedal uphill for short distances... the bottlerocket seems like an ideal candidate and it blows my mind such a successful bike has just been discontinued but I guess that's the way bike trends go.....

Posted: Apr 15, 2017 at 13:43 Quote
26" is going away, besides the DJ market, its all but gone 27.5/29..

Probably what happened to the Bottlerocket

I definitely understand the budget, or lack there of, aspect

Posted: May 25, 2017 at 1:39 Quote
adrennan wrote:
well i i have the modern iteration of the bottle rocket (the triple) but the travel has been reduced over the years. my main ride is a canfield balance and it rocks as a freeride type bike (especially with a coil in the back). it pedals well, it is slack, short rear end, and i think it is a gorgeous bike

Posted: May 30, 2017 at 11:37 Quote
Aaronz25RS wrote:
26" is going away, besides the DJ market, its all but gone 27.5/29..

Probably what happened to the Bottlerocket

I definitely understand the budget, or lack there of, aspect

dartmoor still makes the wish park I belive, and that is a 26" freeride bike

Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 17:46 Quote
I don't care who makes it, don't buy it unless it has lifetime warrenty. I have broken 5 frames in 3 years. I have not had any major crashes, I don't abuse my expensive gear. Stuff happens especially when you play hard. Considering how competitive prices are, go with a long term solution.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011969
Mobile Version of Website