Shimano XT BL M-8000 Brake Lever Repair

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Shimano XT BL M-8000 Brake Lever Repair
Previous Page |
Posted: Apr 17, 2017 at 15:00 Quote
I recently had a brake failure on a ride and discovered that the master piston guide was broken in the brake lever. Rather then replace the entire assembly, I was hoping I could disassemble and use the 3D printer I have at work to replace the broken part. However, I am not sure how to disassemble the lever assembly. Primarily the post that the lever pivots on. Does anyone know if this is threaded or press fit? Is it maybe a rivot. Is there anyway to remove it?

Posted: May 10, 2017 at 10:10 Quote
cobba wrote:
Remove the cap on the grub screw.

Item No.5: http://si.shimano.com/#/en/EV/BL-M8000-3853A

That's from: http://si.shimano.com/

You are the man. Thank you.

Posted: Jul 21, 2017 at 9:48 Quote
I too want to thank you cobba!! I was stuck until I found your post! You rule!

Posted: Jul 22, 2017 at 1:14 Quote
I've had exactry the same issue. Just returned the master cylinder no problems. Maybe a designew fault?

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 11:26 Quote
SamerK wrote:
I recently had a brake failure on a ride and discovered that the master piston guide was broken in the brake lever. Rather then replace the entire assembly, I was hoping I could disassemble and use the 3D printer I have at work to replace the broken part. However, I am not sure how to disassemble the lever assembly. Primarily the post that the lever pivots on. Does anyone know if this is threaded or press fit? Is it maybe a rivot. Is there anyway to remove it?

The same thing happened to mine! Did you have any luck with that 3d printer?

Posted: May 11, 2018 at 18:22 Quote
+1, same problem. Broke both levers in the same way, i assume after minor crashes. Didn't realize until later when the brakes started getting weak.

Backcountry/competitive refused to submit the warranty ("Shimano does not replace/warranty any product that was damaged via impact. Shimano has informed us not to submit any impact related claims.").

Upgraded to XTR levers which are full metal and will not have this problem. Looks like Saint/XTR is the way to go with this new brake series.

Posted: Mar 9, 2020 at 12:03 Quote
SamerK wrote:

Ressurecting an old(ish) post!

@SamerK I've had the piston guides fail on my M8000's and the exact same on my friend's bike too! Its clearly a design fault, or an intentional failing part. Do you have an .STL file? I could run out some replacements on our Formlabs resin printer in work...

Posted: May 1, 2020 at 7:22 Quote
Same problem with a m8100 brake lever Cry
How did you manage this situation ? Buy a new lever ?

Posted: May 6, 2020 at 12:28 Quote
I've had this happen to me twice..... Where do I buy the little plastic piece that fails so easily??? I'll have to buy like 7 of them at the rate they fail

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 15:14 Quote
SamerK wrote:
@SamerK I've had the piston guides fail on my M8000's and the exact same on my friend's bike too! Its clearly a design fault, or an intentional failing part. Do you have an .STL file? I could run out some replacements on our Formlabs resin printer in work...

i've had the same issue, but i make the stl they isn't perfect but is funcional. May you edit them and correct him

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 16:53 Quote
KoalaJedi wrote:
SamerK wrote:

i've had the same issue, but i make the stl they isn't perfect but is funcional. May you edit them and correct him

Please make some. I will buy them! Give me at least 7 lol!

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 19:21 Quote
I had the same problem as well. Such a piss off. Threw them in the garbage and bought brakes from another manufacturer

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 20:27 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
I had the same problem as well. Such a piss off. Threw them in the garbage and bought brakes from another manufacturer

I was tempted to do this, but I already have the shimano bleed kit/mineral oil so didn't want to start over.

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 15:38 Quote
Bailed out of a tech climb on sunday, bending the lever of my 3rd shimano xt brakes.... Luckily the inner plastic somehow survived, and now I have multiple back-up lever hardware in the parts bin to use for replacing LOL.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009306
Mobile Version of Website