Recommend me a cheap XC fork and Rear mech?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Recommend me a cheap XC fork and Rear mech?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 20, 2017 at 1:52 Quote
Hi, I have 2 questions about the same bike so I thought I'd mash them into one thread.

I've just bought a Giant STP 26" in large for mainly road/light XC/getting places fast. May not be the ideal XC bike but I'm in love with the geometry. I'm unhappy with the Suntour XCM fork though, it's flexy and I'm a light rider so it's always clunking (topping out) when reaching full extension. And it's always bobbing about when I try to pedal, steer etc so I want something better. Still 100mm though.

I'm looking to spend about £120 maximum on the fork, with a bit of leeway. I'm used to riding a rigid fork so I want something that's quite stiff (flex-wise) and lockout would be a bonus. I want something that's quite light but can also handle the occasional dirt jump/skatepark session, but mainly XC. The main reason for wanting another sus fork is just to take the edge off bumpy tracks etc.

Now onto the Rear mech. I have a 1x8 setup with 32t on the front and a wide-ratio cassette on the back. I'm looking to get a new 8 speed 12-25 road cassette and a shortcage mech. I'm happy with the shifter but the clunky deraillier just puts me off half the time. The shifter is fine I just want something compact/tidy out back. What is a cheap, tough shortcage mech? Must be Shimano. I was thinking a 105 road mech for £30? Cant be too pricey because it'll end up jammed in the spokes anyway.

Thoughts?

Posted: Apr 20, 2017 at 2:36 Quote
Found the Rockshox 30 Silver TK online, a good choice for £100?

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008034
Mobile Version of Website