Avid Elixir 5 lever wont push the pistons

PB Forum :: SRAM
Avid Elixir 5 lever wont push the pistons
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 22, 2017 at 6:54 Quote
Hi.
I recently purchased a used set of Elixir 5 brakes.
The front brake works fine, but i have a trouble with the rear one. The pistons were jammed, but after some pushing with the syringe and dot5.1 fluid they came loose. Lubed them up with avids brake grease and now i can push them back with a 8mm wrench without much issues.
Then i cut the hose and fitted a new olive and insert.
When i was bleeding, all the fluid traveled easely up and got out old brake fluid and bubbles. But the lever wont push the pistons at all!
Its not stuck, it has all its travel but doesnt feel like it has any function at all....
Edit : Have also now taken apart the caliper and cleaned the pistons and checked the sealings. All sealings are without damage. So after it has dried up (tomorrow) i am gonna try once more

Is a rebuild of the lever the next step or have i done something wrong?

Posted: Apr 27, 2017 at 2:08 Quote
Hi there.
you can test the rear caliper to the front brake and the front caliper to the rear. If the pistons are still jammed, replace the piston kit.

Posted: May 11, 2017 at 12:11 Quote
lepak1corner wrote:
Hi there.
you can test the rear caliper to the front brake and the front caliper to the rear. If the pistons are still jammed, replace the piston kit.

After doing some work to it i decided to run the bike with the old juicy3 rear brake that works ok.
And are just gonna put the elixir 5 that doesnt work on the shelf...because it cost me about the same for a new sealkit as i paid for the brake.

Note to self : Next time BUY SHIMANO!!!

Posted: Jun 8, 2017 at 21:43 Quote
hcbang wrote:
lepak1corner wrote:
Hi there.

After doing some work to it i decided to run the bike with the old juicy3 rear brake that works ok.
And are just gonna put the elixir 5 that doesnt work on the shelf...because it cost me about the same for a new sealkit as i paid for the brake.

Note to self : Next time BUY SHIMANO!!!

got that right......

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010307
Mobile Version of Website