Enduro brakes for a heavy guy

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Enduro brakes for a heavy guy
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 5:11 Quote
Hi,

I've just bought myself a 2016 Scott Genius LT710 Plus as I got a good deal on it and I love my Scott Scale XC bike so felt like being a one brand guy lol.

It comes with SLX brakes which I have on my XC bike and feel good but then I'm thinking I'm 90kg and I have my first enduro race coming up next month, the Boltby Bash. I was wondering does anyone have experience of SLX around my weight on steeper more tech ground? I'm going to give the new bike a run out to Sheffield and the peaks beginning of next month but if it's going to save time I could change them early.

I have Guide R on my On One Codeine and they're ok but I can;t help but feel I'd like a bit more stopping power. I'm thinking of Saints or Zee to save some cash? Any thoughts?

Cheers troops.

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 5:57 Quote
Go for Zee/Saints with metal Ice tech pads and Ice-Tech rotors. Almost impossible to overheat and they always work, also more modulation than SLX. Price is usually quite good (especially Zee) compared to some Hope etc.

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 23:40 Quote
onyxss wrote:
Go for Zee/Saints with metal Ice tech pads and Ice-Tech rotors. Almost impossible to overheat and they always work, also more modulation than SLX. Price is usually quite good (especially Zee) compared to some Hope etc.

From what I can gather there isn't much difference between saints and zee right?

Posted: Apr 27, 2017 at 2:10 Quote
Most powerfully brake you can get is magura mt7.

I did have some durability issues, and some problems bleeding them properly. But, it's very powerful

Oh yeah, always use ice tech rotors

Posted: Apr 27, 2017 at 7:38 Quote
toby9843 wrote:
onyxss wrote:

From what I can gather there isn't much difference between saints and zee right?

This is accurate on almost impossible to overheat, matter of fact, it kept it so "cool" that it took me a while to bed in the new Saint rotors w/ metal pads on regular trail riding, had to take a lap or two at the DH course.

I have both and there's no difference in terms of power... I run the Saints on my "bling" bike and the Zee's on my park bike, the one I normally crash on Big Grin

Posted: Apr 27, 2017 at 10:10 Quote
FabianJ wrote:

I did have some durability issues, and some problems bleeding them properly. But, it's very powerful

Wrong. Most powerfull brake you can get is Trickstuff Direttissima. Period!

Posted: Apr 27, 2017 at 12:47 Quote
Foxy87 wrote:
FabianJ wrote:

Wrong. Most powerfull brake you can get is Trickstuff Direttissima. Period!

Now they are nice.....

The Magura's are nice as well but I think in terms of bang for buck the Zee's look the way to go.

Posted: Apr 27, 2017 at 12:49 Quote
"And to the power. The power is huge. I think they generate more power than Shimano's mighty Saint, and are getting close to Magura's superb MT7. But, power is nothing without control, thankfully the modulation of the Direttissima is light, followed by superbly progressive. The angle of the piston in the lever changes throughout the stroke, giving a true progressive curve and increasing power with more finger power."

From pinkbikes review. Wink
https://m.pinkbike.com/news/trickstuff-direttissima-brakes-review-2017.html

Posted: Apr 27, 2017 at 13:42 Quote
I bet DRT has more power Razz

Posted: Apr 27, 2017 at 14:12 Quote
I'll second the MT7 for the ultimate brake for big guys, have them on my DH and Enduro bikes (100+ kg rider with gear) and they rock in both power and modulation... that being said if you're on a budget the zee's are phenomenal brakes for the money. I feel like they don't modulate nearly as well as the MT7 but they stop much much better than guide r's I had did... also there's only one set of pads per caliper so you save money on that end too over the MT7...

Posted: Apr 27, 2017 at 16:16 Quote
Stick some decent size discs on and you'll be fine. I'm just over 90kg without riding gear on and have never had a problem with stopping using my SLX. I ride in the Lake District so plenty of big downhills.

Posted: Apr 27, 2017 at 22:45 Quote
Toddy101 wrote:
Stick some decent size discs on and you'll be fine. I'm just over 90kg without riding gear on and have never had a problem with stopping using my SLX. I ride in the Lake District so plenty of big downhills.

That's reassuring. The Genius LT already comes with a 203 front and 180 rear. That should be fine hey or do you mean better rotors? Ice Tech for example?

Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 3:55 Quote
IceTech brings mostly better cooling features, if you are already on 203/180 then go for Zee + IceTech rotors and metal pads, bulletproof combination which works and doesn't cost too much.

Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 4:04 Quote
onyxss wrote:
IceTech brings mostly better cooling features, if you are already on 203/180 then go for Zee + IceTech rotors and metal pads, bulletproof combination which works and doesn't cost too much.

I think this is the most likely combo. Thanks guys.

Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 0:44 Quote
Yea I'm running 203 and 180 mm, not IceTech though but I've never had a problem (that's with soing a couple or races as well).

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010590
Mobile Version of Website