This is driving me insane

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
This is driving me insane
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 16:49 Quote
Hello right it's finally new bike time and I keep changing my mind and it's driving me mad. I have finally settled on one of two bike (maybe). First one is the new Mondraker Dune R the only thing that's putting me off is the fork it's a fox 36 Grip. I've no experience with Fox and not sure if the fork is any good. The other option is the Nukeproof Mega PRO 27.5. The only thing putting me off on that is the XT brakes. I have heard they can have a changing bite point and I've heard it from a few people. Anyone have any experience with either of them?

The other bike that is in the mix is the Whyte G-160 rs. This is really driving me mad haha

Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 18:12 Quote
Haven't ridden either of the first two you like but I do have a 2016 Whyte G-160 RS.
The Whyte overall has the better spec, is boost, is lighter, has new 12 speed drivetrain and has the simplest linkage design with great bearings. It is spot on in terms of geometry to the Mondraker, the Nukeproof seems to be on the tighter side for the same wheelbase.
The G-160 is an extremely capable and stable bike at any speed but even more so the faster you go. It wants to go fast and the steeper and faster the better. Climbs extremely well, it is not fast, but it doesn't wear you out and is easy to maneuver around and or over obstacles.
If you want a heavy hitting Enduro bike that is downhill capable the Whyte is superb. A little too much of a bike for me, but if that's what you are looking for it is superb.

Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 5:52 Quote
He's running avid ultimate brake levers.

Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 5:54 Quote
He is sponsored by them

Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 9:17 Quote
Mondraker is the way bud! Switched from the 2016 nomad to a mondraker dune xr carbon and never looked back. My choices back then was: insurgent, sb6c and the wreckoning. Went with mondraker since its rare from where i'm from. Just plows thru anything you give it, super fast bike! The geometry is different since it's a long bike (forward geo). Main diff between it and other brands is it doesnt get that much advertising compared to US brands. Goodluck!

Posted: May 11, 2017 at 15:25 Quote
Don't let the brakes put you off an otherwise perfect bike. Just change them out for your favs and sell the XT's as new on ebay. Job done.

Posted: May 12, 2017 at 11:52 Quote
quickhips wrote:
The only thing putting me off on that is the XT brakes. I have heard they can have a changing bite point and I've heard it from a few people. a
Not buying a bike for a possible quible with one component is not really a valid reason though, right?

If the reach was off, or the seat angle, or something else with the frame, or even a major component like a fork...

Besides, even if you do get a problem set of brakes with the earliest serial numbers from years back somehow, Shimano swaps them out on warranty within a week.

And +1 vote for the Mondraker :p

Posted: May 13, 2017 at 10:56 Quote
Thanks for the replies, think the Mondraker is the winner, The brake thing was just it's taken a long time to convince my other half to let me get a new bike without her killing me. Plus it's a lot of money for me and I am sure a lot of people as well. I just wanted to make sure that the bike I finally end up with I'm going to be completely happy with. Don't want to be think I knew I should have gone for the other one hahah

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.004775
Mobile Version of Website