New Rider Here Looking for Advice.

PB Forum :: Beginners
New Rider Here Looking for Advice.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 18:12 Quote
Good Evening all.

I am new to riding, singletrack/trail and am in teh market for a bike.

I have decided to go the used route vs jumping in and buying a new bike in hopes of gaining some features a new on in my rice range would not have.

Searching my local CL I have come across a 08 Cannondale Prophet Lefty with 1X10 conversion. The fork was rebuilt last year by Mendon Cyclesmith (2016) and has some upgrades like Fox Float rear shock, Raceface narrow wide chainring and Shimano Deore derailleur with clutch, Thompson seat post, Reface grips.

The other bike I am looking at is 2008 GT Sanction 3.0. as fars as I can tell it is all original. I have read bad things about the forks, which are Suntour, as far as I can see.

The Cannondale is priced at $750 and the GT is priced at $1000, but this seems ot be negotionable after I showed the seller the bluebook value.

The Cannondale seems to be ready to go, but i have read about the maintainance that comes witht he lefty forks.

I know I would probably buy new forks if I went with the GT.

On the new side, I was offered a Specialized Pitch Comp by my LBS in my price range.

Any advice, things to look for when buying, and what I should be paying fr either bike would be awesome from some of the expirienced riders.

Thanks!

Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 22:03 Quote
I would take the GT over the canondale.

Mostly because I like the geo of the GT better.

Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 23:04 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
I would take the GT over the canondale.

Mostly because I like the geo of the GT better.
Exactly, go for the GT! Smile Would any day prefer GT over a Cannondale.

Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 23:16 Quote
but, 1000 seems a bit steep. work him down!

Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 2:39 Quote
Awesome, thanks for the replies!

I have been doing a bunch of research and am having reservation about the lefty fork, seems it may require more maintenance than a beginner should take on.

I agree with the price tag, I told the seller that I would give them above BikeBluebook, if it proved to be in good shape. I know going in that I will have to take it in for a tune as it has not been performed since 2015. The BB value is $355 on the high end. I know that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay, but also want to be fair. What would be too much to pay for this model bike, all original?

Also, the Specialized Pitch Comp is still on the table. I know this is more of a entry level bike, and is not dual shock. I am just weighing the option of going new vs used.

Thanks again.

Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 6:14 Quote
10 years ago, that bike retailed for 1,700. I think the blue book price is sound. consider, on a used bike you are almost always going to have to replace tires ( 80x2), grips (20) and brake pads (20x2). The bike will also require a tune an suspension service ... and all that could coast upwards of 200 (mostly labor). Be sure that there is no play in rear linkage or wheels. and look at the drive train for signs of excess wear... these can signal bigger problems or more $$$ to repair.

Also, you mentioned that you may change the fork .... and that would likely coast you around 500-800 used, and its possible they may require service (150$)

Just consider these numbers ... weight then out against the new Hard Tail option. New is always nice because you know what you get. but, often you get more bike for your money used. I would also check the buy and sell .. I think you will find more bike for better prices. .. as an example, I found a 2015 Giant Stance 2 for 1100$ . a significantly better and more current option than your 2008 models.

Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 6:50 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
10 years ago, that bike retailed for 1,700. I think the blue book price is sound. consider, on a used bike you are almost always going to have to replace tires ( 80x2), grips (20) and brake pads (20x2). The bike will also require a tune an suspension service ... and all that could coast upwards of 200 (mostly labor). Be sure that there is no play in rear linkage or wheels. and look at the drive train for signs of excess wear... these can signal bigger problems or more $$$ to repair.

Also, you mentioned that you may change the fork .... and that would likely coast you around 500-800 used, and its possible they may require service (150$)

Just consider these numbers ... weight then out against the new Hard Tail option. New is always nice because you know what you get. but, often you get more bike for your money used. I would also check the buy and sell .. I think you will find more bike for better prices. .. as an example, I found a 2015 Giant Stance 2 for 1100$ . a significantly better and more current option than your 2008 models.

I am moving from one hobby to another, homebrewing beer. I could spend that much on a bike, but I have sold my equipment and have bugeted ~$800 for a decent starter bike. The rest I am booking the family a cruise that they do not know about.

I think I will offer them $400 for the bike, seeing as how I will have close to $600 or so minimum in it once the tune up/ services begin. Would it be worth putting this much into a ~10 year old bike?

I like the look of the GT, and the reviews seem good.

This is turning into a tough decision.

Thanks again for the advice.

*****EDIT******
I found a new set of fork/front end RockShox 30 Silver TK Coil 26" MTB Bike Fork 100mm 9QR 1-1/8" Turnkey Rim / Disc I am not sure if this is compatiable with eith the GT, I am just going off of the 26" and 1-1/8" measurments, for $160.

Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 15:38 Quote
I think your budget numbers make sense. Seems like a solid plan to get into MTB.

Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 18:03 Quote
Alright, spoke with the guys at the bike shop, they said if I could snag it for under $500 the GT would be a good deal.

The guy said he would take $600 and I countered with $525, have not heard back from him.

If I do not hear from him by Monday, I am going to go ahead and pick up one of these from the local bike shop, I get a 20% faculty discount for working with the University to boot.

Specialized Rockhopper Comp

I found another Rockhopper, 2015 sport model on CL this morning, turns out a student was graduating and needed to sale it this week. I took it to the bike shop and had it checked out and was given the green light if that is what I wanted to purchase.

I saw the Trek they had told me about earlier, ends up it is a 2014 Stache with not a scratch on it. I took it for a ride and was sold.

Long story, they made me a great deal, a bit under bluebook value. They are tuning it and she will be ready to go tomorrow.

I want to thank you guys for your advice and putting up with all my questions.

There will be more as I get out and ride more.

-J

I was able to score a 07 Haro V1 for my son. The guy runs a bike repair shop that is owned by a Universty, he gave it to my son for $40 because he promotes riding.

Has some rust here and there, but runs smooth and quiet and shfts relativley well. I am taking to the bike shop tomorrow for a lube and chain replacement.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009753
Mobile Version of Website