What gear to set, whenever the bike will not be used for a while. a Myth or a Fact.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
What gear to set, whenever the bike will not be used for a while. a Myth or a Fact.
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 2, 2017 at 23:31 Quote
Guys, just to check your opinion in regards to What gear to set if a bike will not be used for a while. i read from somewhere that to set the gear in front to Granny/small ring in the front and smallest cog in the back. the reason behind this is to eliminate any cable tension and spring tension in the RD and FD. is there any truth on this? thanks for your replies. Smile

Posted: May 3, 2017 at 6:12 Quote
If there is any truth to this, I've been doing wrong for years. I could see it maybe making a difference on the spring in the derailleur, but I doubt it makes any difference. I've also been wrong before. Length of storage would be a consideration as well. It certainly wouldn't hurt.

Posted: May 3, 2017 at 8:42 Quote
I think it's a bunch of crap..

An object in motion tends to stay in motion, am object at rest tends to stay at rest..

Posted: May 3, 2017 at 8:56 Quote
To expand, the springs in the drive train a a LOT weaker than the cables..
You can spring(move) a derailer spring by hand, let's see you stretch a derailer cable.. by hand..

Cables stretch yes, but not in a static state, its also much less of a problem with newer cables

Posted: May 4, 2017 at 9:35 Quote
rhayann25 wrote:
Guys, just to check your opinion in regards to What gear to set if a bike will not be used for a while. i read from somewhere that to set the gear in front to Granny/small ring in the front and smallest cog in the back. the reason behind this is to eliminate any cable tension and spring tension in the RD and FD. is there any truth on this? thanks for your replies. Smile

Makes sense to me and this is what I do, during winter storage I keep my RD at the 10T on the cassette so my cables stay relaxed. I know this because when I set my RD on the 10T (of my 10-42T cassette), I fiddle my cable and it's all nice and relaxed, when I placed it on the 42T, I was like holy cow, that's tight! Will your bike break if you accidentally store it at your biggest cog in front and in rear? Probably not...

On the physics side of things, when you are placing your rear derailleur in your biggest cog (e.g. 42T, or 46T), your derailleur stretches to accommodate the 42T (stretching the spring), which is caused by the shifter pulling the cable (stressing the cable), then locks it there for it to stay (the act, if we are talking about law of inertia). The law of inertia does apply to a degree but not sure if it has any relevance to the actual stress and strain of the spring and cable.

In other words, you are applying the max amount of force, which applies the max amount of stretch on the spring and cable when storing it at the biggest cog. (Max based on shifter & derailleur settings, not cable/spring strength)

Another thing to keep in mind is that not all springs and cables are made equally. So will it affect the cable/spring in the static state? Maybe...maybe not, depends on how it was built, and their tensile strength Big Grin

Posted: May 5, 2017 at 11:34 Quote
Springs don't wear out by staying pressed or stretched within the limits.
It's the number of cycles of compression/release that wears out spring.
But still, I like to store without tension on the cable/derailleur.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007658
Mobile Version of Website