Rockshox Boxxer RC forks

PB Forum :: Downhill
Rockshox Boxxer RC forks
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 7, 2017 at 13:36 Quote
Hi all
I have just swapped the spring in my forks from a red to a blue, the instructions say that there needs to be 14 to 16mm gap from the top of the spring to the top of the stanchion.
I have measured mine and have 14mm of travel without any preload spacers, which means my spring is directly on the top nut.

My question is, is this ok or should there aways be a preload spacer between them.

Here is a link to the video I used, look at 3mins 42 secs
https://youtu.be/rcH2oGGWh8o

Thanks in advance

Posted: Jun 5, 2017 at 13:11 Quote
Probably a bit late but have you read the instructions on the rockshox website?
I'm not 100% but i think you need the spacer

Posted: Jun 5, 2017 at 19:09 Quote
if you have exactly 14mm then you do not NEED spacers. If you would like a little more preload, just like on your rear shock spring, you can run up to 5 preload spacers maximum without the spring bottoming out on itself.

Posted: Jun 24, 2017 at 8:43 Quote
Thanks that is what I have now done, I now have the red spring back in and 5 preload spacers and it seems to be working fine like that.

Posted: Jul 15, 2017 at 21:52 Quote
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I managed to scuff up my boxxer world cups and am having a trauma attack. It's smooth to the touch but I can feel it if I run my fingernail against it. It's very subtle but there is a definite indent. Is it still rideable? Thanks

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2017 at 22:09 Quote
TheKiller-K wrote:
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I managed to scuff up my boxxer world cups and am having a trauma attack. It's smooth to the touch but I can feel it if I run my fingernail against it. It's very subtle but there is a definite indent. Is it still rideable? Thanks

Yes your fork is still rideable.

If the scratch in the stantion is rough it can cause your seals to wear out faster.

Your can fix a deep scratch with JB Weld and some extremely fine grit sand paper or use nail polish and extremely fine grit sand paper for a less deep scratch.

Posted: Jul 15, 2017 at 23:12 Quote
TheKiller-K wrote:

on a WC, you might have a problem depending on the depth and location of the damage

if it's gone through to the inside (showing as a bump in the inner wall) you might run into problems with the air or rebound piston hitting it and causing damage (rebound piston would only be a problem on an R2C2 dampened WC fork

if it's just a minor scratch, should be fine just sand & varnish it. ride on

Posted: Jul 16, 2017 at 10:03 Quote
el-booto wrote:
TheKiller-K wrote:

on a WC, you might have a problem depending on the depth and location of the damage

if it's gone through to the inside (showing as a bump in the inner wall) you might run into problems with the air or rebound piston hitting it and causing damage (rebound piston would only be a problem on an R2C2 dampened WC fork

if it's just a minor scratch, should be fine just sand & varnish it. ride on

It is a fairly small scuff near the middle of the stanchion. I don't believe that it went through o the inner wall. I'll try the sanding and varnishing method.

Posted: Jul 16, 2017 at 10:05 Quote
DugS wrote:
TheKiller-K wrote:

Yes your fork is still rideable.

If the scratch in the stantion is rough it can cause your seals to wear out faster.

Your can fix a deep scratch with JB Weld and some extremely fine grit sand paper or use nail polish and extremely fine grit sand paper for a less deep scratch.

I'll give it a go. Is there anything I should consider before the sanding and filling? Any tips?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020281
Mobile Version of Website