Big man muscles

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 9, 2017 at 10:38 Quote
Hi,
I'm quite new to mountain biking. Currently I'm way overweight at 130 kg (I have 188 cm) and I want to get rid of the fat, but also I want to gain some big muscles, so I think my weight will be around 110-115. I want to look like The Rock (Dwayne Johnson).
My question is, can somebody who weights 110 kg and have physique as The Rock ride freeride/dh? I want to jump big stuff (not necessary drops, more like dirt jumps as in FEST series) and ride freeride or DH...
Do you think it will work for me?

Posted: May 9, 2017 at 21:37 Quote
Weight train heavy and less frequently. Lots of climbing will build leg muscles but everything else will shrink your muscles not in strength but in mass. I had to switch to a 5x5 program 3 days a week of mid to heavy weights to keep my muscle mass up while burning fat. Hope that's helpful

Posted: May 26, 2017 at 4:56 Quote
Power Body Building is the solution,just remember your not gonna be as strong as a pure lifter who does not do high amounts of cardio.Martron12 has it right.All main lifts heavy,everything else lighter.

Posted: Jun 28, 2017 at 18:02 Quote
It is surely possible, but the strength isn't going to make you a better MTB rider (I know that's not what you're going for). If you want to get better at MTB, you'll want to improve your aerobic fitness...but that might not aid in building big muscles. At the same time, my flatmate looks like the rock (with smaller calves) and wins age-group DH races.

Posted: Jul 1, 2017 at 11:25 Quote
To be clear you wont get muscles as the rock from training, in fact you'll get nowhere close at the same body fat, its called AAS and works while recovering...Beyond that simple fact yes you can be "big" and muscular while still having great stamina for aerobic and anaerobic activities. What's it going to take? A boat load of effort in the gym and eating good.

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 4:27 Quote
you need to go to the gym, biking is gret for leg exercising but i doubt that you will get rid of fat in such way

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 11:39 Quote
Dev1lOne wrote:
you need to go to the gym, biking is gret for leg exercising but i doubt that you will get rid of fat in such way

You will lose fat faster and in greater amounts spending time biking than spending an equal time strength training.

Posted: Jul 9, 2017 at 14:36 Quote
If you ride and lift body fat will be lowered.My fat levels are lower when not riding because I have more muscle.I am not going to stop riding so I take what I can get.You need to find what works for you and not what works for others.

Posted: Jul 9, 2017 at 22:19 Quote
There are 2/3 main types of muscle fibers everyone has. One is slow twitch known as type 1. These are you long duration fibers. You trains these while you ride your bike or run, swim etc. they do not grow drastically in size. That why you see more lean type of people who do mainly endurance based exercises. The other main type of fiber is fast twitch type 2A and 2B. 2A and 2B are more explosive and raw strength. 2B leans a little more to the endurance side but still primarily explosive and raw strength. In order to get those big man muscles while riding regularly you need to lift heavy. Work on your main compound lifts ( bench press, dead lifts, squats, military press). But you can't sustain heavy lifting at a high frequency especially while riding often. So lift a max of 3 times a week and heavy. Compound movements primarily is key. Both riding and lifting will burn calories and burn fat so it's a win win

Posted: Dec 7, 2022 at 0:48 Quote
Any updates here?
How to get rid of the fat and build muscles instead?
What are the most effective exercises?

Posted: Dec 15, 2022 at 8:07 Quote
Proper healthy nutrition and physical activity aimed at increasing muscle mass are important here. It is also not right to consume more calories than you burn in order to build muscle. The article here claims that you can gain muscles weight while being in a calorie deficit. The most important thing here is properly calculate your calories for building muscle on a calorie deficit.

O+
Posted: Dec 15, 2022 at 16:19 Quote
Fill your diet with veggies and get exercise. Fat will burn.

I have been trying to do more base training, and the logic behind it seems to be making a come back. This suits me just fine because I feel like I can be a relaxed lazy F doing it! lol

Posted: Dec 15, 2022 at 17:30 Quote
Unless you are new to lifting weights it is pretty much impossible to gain muscle while burning fat. Imo since it is the off season for biking I would focus on building muscle. Yes you will gain a bit of fat while doing this, but then once spring hits you can focus on loosing weight and preserving as much of the new muscle as possible. Note when loosing weight you will loose some muscle mass.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010980
Mobile Version of Website