2x10 --> 1x10 conversion

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
2x10 --> 1x10 conversion
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 10, 2017 at 3:27 Quote
Ehi fellas
so i decided to finally get rid of the front derailleur on my Specialized Enduro 2011, and go 1x10. since i'm a fat ass i already decided that i'll need to expand my rear cassette with a 40T cog (i have Sram X0 mid cage derailleur out back), but i honestly have no clue about the cranks and the ring.
first of all, i have xt cranks and i'd like to hear from you guys if i can go on and use'em or i need new ones. in that case, i'd like some suggestions. i'm no weight maniac, so i'm trying to keep this operation as cheap as possible, keep that in mind Smile

second, number of tooth: i'm a fat ass, right now i have a 24-36 up front, and a 11-36 in the back. i rarely use the uber granny combination 24-36, but rarely is different from 0 so i was thinking about a 28...opinions?

happy trails and viel spass to everyone

Posted: May 10, 2017 at 6:45 Quote
You can use your old cranks, but I don't believe those are direct mount style cranks so you'll have to get a use 104mm bolt on style chain ring. You may have trouble finding a 28 tooth chainring in that style so you might have to go with a 30 tooth which would give you a 1.33 gear ratio vs your 1.5 gear ratio on your old set up. Meaning your granny gear would be slightly harder to pedal.

Posted: May 10, 2017 at 8:46 Quote
Bruccio wrote:
Ehi fellas
so i decided to finally get rid of the front derailleur on my Specialized Enduro 2011, and go 1x10. since i'm a fat ass i already decided that i'll need to expand my rear cassette with a 40T cog (i have Sram X0 mid cage derailleur out back), but i honestly have no clue about the cranks and the ring.
first of all, i have xt cranks and i'd like to hear from you guys if i can go on and use'em or i need new ones. in that case, i'd like some suggestions. i'm no weight maniac, so i'm trying to keep this operation as cheap as possible, keep that in mind Smile

second, number of tooth: i'm a fat ass, right now i have a 24-36 up front, and a 11-36 in the back. i rarely use the uber granny combination 24-36, but rarely is different from 0 so i was thinking about a 28...opinions?

happy trails and viel spass to everyone

If you want a 28t Chainring the Race face Aeffect crank should fit right into your Shimano BB, and it's reasonably priced. I made some gear ratio charts a while back https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=196977 you could compare.

Posted: May 10, 2017 at 12:17 Quote
Fellow Fat ass here... Started at 238 lbs. a month ago but am down to 224lbs. Amazing how much you can lose when you eat right and exercise.

Anyway. I recently did the same thing with a 10spd set up. I stuck with a 32 ring up front and 11-36 in the back. Sometimes its a grind up some steeper hills but I view it as a workout so im ok with it. But Have recently decided to up grade to an 11 speed. Sticking with the 32 up front but going with a 11-42 in the back. I can get all XT components (Cassette, Shifter, Deraileur, Chain, Cables) for $210 new at Jenson so its a small price to pay for the upgrade.

Good luck with your changeover.

Posted: May 10, 2017 at 21:09 Quote
This is my 1x10 setup. The parts are reasonably priced. 32t ring up front 11t-42t cassette. I'm really happy with it

https://instagram.com/p/BSO4rPgA05f/

Posted: May 12, 2017 at 0:01 Quote
Thank you guys for your suggestions. i'll go with the expander cog from on up components, adding a 42 in the back and a 16, getting rid of 15 and 17, with a 30 and a 32 i can easily swap (the cranks i buy come with a 32 installed and i found a really cheap 30 from FUNN at...you guessed, 30 €). i'll start with the 30 and as my legs get stronger, i'll go with the 32.

Posted: May 12, 2017 at 5:35 Quote
You don't even need to buy a new set of cranks if you are ok sticking with the 30. A narrow wide 30T that will fit on your existing cranks are about 40$

Posted: May 12, 2017 at 6:59 Quote
fuzzhead45 wrote:
You don't even need to buy a new set of cranks if you are ok sticking with the 30. A narrow wide 30T that will fit on your existing cranks are about 40$

yeah but it's a birthday gift and i found a bargain for cranks + 32 T at 70 € with a 75% discount so... Wink

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005142
Mobile Version of Website