Need some help deciding on which bike to get.

PB Forum :: Beginners
Need some help deciding on which bike to get.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 10, 2017 at 18:58 Quote
Hello,

I want to get a bike to commute to work during the summer days, my commute is about 10k each way and consists of uphill/downhill road and about 20% of the way is on gravel / dirt road.

I started biking last summer and picked myself up a Trek X-Caliber 7 and I really liked it, except the size I got was too big for me and I started feeling pain in my right leg and back.

I sold this bike start of this year and haven't had a chance to pick out a new bike until now so I am here to get some advice on what kind of bike to get.

I have always ridden a mountain bike and just can't get into an all out road bike with thin tires (I often don't pay attention to the little rocks on the road). So I am looking for some sort of cross/hybrid bike similar to the X-Caliber.

Ideally a bike that has drop handles so I have more than one position to hold and front shocks that can lock for uphill. I am not totally sold on a must for front shocks I just figured if part of my ride is dirt and bumpy roads it may help. Disc brakes are a must.

Do cross bikes exist that have drop handles, front shocks and dick brakes geared towards casual commuters?

Anyone out there able to help me choose what to get? I am 5'10 and weight 210lbs. My budget is $1000.

As an example, I really do like the spec on this one minus the fact that it does not have front shocks but the group set is pretty good: https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/bik/6119358832.html

While it is out of my budget, for the right bike I am willing to fork up a little more.

Thanks and any feedback is appreciated.

Posted: May 12, 2017 at 5:33 Quote
You should look for cyclocross bikes and also change forum, you wont gert much cyclocross info on pinkbike Smile

Posted: May 13, 2017 at 8:06 Quote
onyxss wrote:
You should look for cyclocross bikes and also change forum, you wont gert much cyclocross info on pinkbike Smile

I think there are other options outside of the "cyclocross" models.. Here is what I narrowed it down to..

Rocky Mountain Fusion 29
Giant Roam 0
Trek DS 4
Trex X-Caliber 8
Cannondale Trail 3

Anyone able to help me narrow it down from these bikes? They are all in my price range and have disc breaks + front shocks. I am now leaning towards the Rocky Mountain Fusion?

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 6:44 Quote
Those models don't have drop handles, so proper cyclocross bike will suit you need perfectly, they are made for road/gravel combination (also tires are wider than normal road tyres). Go demo some and see for yourself.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009667
Mobile Version of Website