Good, fun bike for Army deployment

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Good, fun bike for Army deployment
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 11, 2017 at 11:15 Quote
Hi,

I am looking for an awesome complete bike that would be suitable for wherever I go. While no longer in the military, I still have similar adventures.

I would like this bike to be good for doing tricks on any terrain in the world, from wheelies and bmx park and roads to aerial tricks in the dessert or trail. If it meets the specs for bmx racing, that would be a huge plus.

I am short, so a smaller frame is necessary. The bike needs to support over 200 lbs while jumping - the higher, the better. I need to be able to let others enjoy it.

The lighter, the better since many flights do not allow much weight (Sometimes less than 40 lbs for all my luggage). If I could take it apart easily to carry it where it is inappropriate to ride, that would be great.

I do not want or need the most expensive bike (it may be given away when I need to get on an airplane without it). I do need something small, solid and durable. Preferably lightweight.

I am a beginner so I do not understand a lot of bike terms. I did recently get into bmx racing with my kids and really enjoyed it and want to learn awesome tricks wherever I can.

I was thinking a Haro Steel Reserve (not sure which version). I was hoping for something a little lighter. I really do not know exactly what I am looking for.

I will be sharing this bike with someone who does bmx but needs to upgrade.

Thanks!

Posted: May 11, 2017 at 13:25 Quote
For what you're talking about, I think a DJ MTB would work. Taller riders might have trouble doing longer rides without the leg extension of a high seatpost, but you'd be able to get it high enough with a quick release clamp, to raise or lower depending on what you're riding.

You're not ever going to get it under 40 pounds including your luggage. Most DJ bikes will be between 26 and 34 pounds; you can check the "weight weenies" thread for how to get it under 26. Once you add some tools and a few spare parts, you'll be at 40 pounds, not even counting your luggage.

You can take a DJ 26" apart and put it in some kind of bike bag . . . but if you need it to be extra portable with strict luggage size requirements, you might want to go with 20" BMX. I have fit my 20" and 22" BMX into pretty normal sized hockey bags. But my 26"s wouldn't fit in there. Obviously, it's just a matter of how much space your bag is allowed to take up.

How To Fly Cheaper With Your Bike
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/fly-cheap-with-your-bike-mitch-chubey-2010.html

I used one of these on a couple of bike trips with 26" MTB. The advantage of a hard case is there is less risk of your wheels getting bent. The disadvantage of a hard case is storing the case somewhere after you get to your destination. I have heard of inflatable bike cases, but never used one. I've also known people who have a custom wheel box which they carry separately from the rest of the bike.
photo

Posted: May 11, 2017 at 13:41 Quote
123go wrote:
Hi,

. . . .

I am short, so a smaller frame is necessary. The bike needs to support over 200 lbs while jumping - the higher, the better. I need to be able to let others enjoy it.

. . .

I do not want or need the most expensive bike (it may be given away when I need to get on an airplane without it). I do need something small, solid and durable. Preferably lightweight.

. . .

I will be sharing this bike with someone who does bmx but needs to upgrade.

Actually, re-reading your post, I think 20" BMX is the way to go. The only thing it won't be good/okay for is MTB trails. Even for road rides, I've known plenty of bmx'ers who ride 10-20 miles on a 20" BMX.

Oh, and re: BMX in the military . . . check this out:

Bikes Over Baghdad
https://www.facebook.com/BikesOverBaghdad/

Posted: May 11, 2017 at 16:36 Quote
Thank you very much for the replies! I love the Bikes Over Baghdad link.

I think you are right about 20 inch bring my best bet. I would really like the bike to handle any terrain, jumping, and tricks. I am 5'4 with short arms and legs, over 200 lbs. Female, but want a unisex bike so that others do not feel embarrassed to ride.

When you say that a bmx bike is not appropriate for trails, do you mean it is not comfortable or that it would break off-road. I do want to at least camp and use my bike on a pump track.

Do you have any recommendations? I am hoping to take it on military flights around the world.

Posted: May 11, 2017 at 17:16 Quote
123go wrote:
Thank you very much for the replies! I love the Bikes Over Baghdad link.

I think you are right about 20 inch bring my best bet. I would really like the bike to handle any terrain, jumping, and tricks. I am 5'4 with short arms and legs, over 200 lbs. Female, but want a unisex bike so that others do not feel embarrassed to ride.

When you say that a bmx bike is not appropriate for trails, do you mean it is not comfortable or that it would break off-road. I do want to at least camp and use my bike on a pump track.

Do you have any recommendations? I am hoping to take it on military flights around the world.

No, it won't break. It's just that 20" wheels are not good for riding mountain bike trails that are extremely bumpy (rocks roots etc). https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-trails/8-of-the-most-technical-mountain-bike-trails-in-the-usa-according-to-the-singletracks-community/ You also can't "climb" in the way that guys on cross-country mountain bikes with gears do. Most BMX'ers would just hike up anyway.

The idea of a bike that is good for "anything" is really a myth. Every bike style is suited for something. So, there are going to be compromises.

Posted: May 12, 2017 at 21:03 Quote
Best, lightest, most versatile bike that doesn't break the bank? I'd say a 26" cromo hardtail with a cromo rigid fork and singlespeed drivetrain, rear brake only. Least likely to break on the road as there are barely any moving parts and ss drivetrains allow you to run as burly a chain as you want, there are dozens of a chain options.

I'm recommending this as someone with way too many bikes(9, actually). Some 26" 10sp, some 26" ss and a few BMX bikes, which are obviously ss as well. A basic, used, cromo 26" bike with a rigid fork in many cases weighs less than a BMX, as a few of the 'core part's' (bars, cranks) weigh a bit less on a mtb than a BMX.

Here's an example. I'll list weights of a few of my bikes to give you an idea.

Volume vessel V2 20" bmx-23.3 lbs
Wtp Crysis 20" bmx-25.1 lbs
NS Suburban 26" park mtb 23.1 lbs
Dartmoor ghetto 24" street mtb 22.1 lbs (at online point)
NS Majesty 26" Dirt jumper 22.6 lbs.

See what I'm saying? None of those 26" bikes are even rigid and are generally lighter than bmxs. BMX frame weights and mtb cromo frames weigh almost exactly the same in most cases, so do t let the idea of 'big heavy wheels' dissuade you.

Posted: May 14, 2017 at 4:09 Quote
thank you for all your help. I ended up with a 24 inch cruiser for bmx racing with the kids, and will keep my eyes out for an affordable high quality 20 inch park/ street freestyle bike. I think one of the Haro brands advertised as being good for park, street, or trail.

Thank you!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009324
Mobile Version of Website