Singlespeed DH/Freeride rig. What gear ratio?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Singlespeed DH/Freeride rig. What gear ratio?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 14, 2017 at 6:32 Quote
Hello.
I want to convert my DH bike to singlespeed because i never race and i mainly ride in parks.
I got Sram X0 cranks and im gonna buy a raceface narrow wide chainring to replace the spider on my setup.
Also im going to buy the DMR singlespeed kit and the rohloff DH tensioner.

What size chainring and sprocket should i go for to get perfect singlespeed setup? Its a 26" bike.

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 14:26 Quote
customcore wrote:
Hello.
I want to convert my DH bike to singlespeed because i never race and i mainly ride in parks.
I got Sram X0 cranks and im gonna buy a raceface narrow wide chainring to replace the spider on my setup.
Also im going to buy the DMR singlespeed kit and the rohloff DH tensioner.

What size chainring and sprocket should i go for to get perfect singlespeed setup? Its a 26" bike.

I'm running 36/15 for a 2.4 gear ratio. That's probably slightly too low a gear ratio for fast stuff but is pretty much perfect for a general purpose park gear ratio.

Depending what kind of chain growth your frame has, that Rohloff tensioner might not have enough travel. You can use an old derailleur with the limit screws tightened up to lock it in place for testing purposes.

Make sure you set the chain length at max growth so you don't bind.

Edit: I have 165mm cranks.

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 15:00 Quote
Gear ratios are going to be individual, based on your fitness and local trails.

Try riding your bike around without shifting it. Just leave it in a gear for a run or two, and think about how that ratio feels.... play around with the gears you have to determine the gear that you will need.

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 15:05 Quote
Consider the DMR tensioner (they sell a complete SS conversion kit)

or a Paul Melvin... similar price to the Rohloff.. both are very classy,

Posted: May 16, 2017 at 5:36 Quote
I'm running a 36/13 (=2.77) ratio on my downhill bike and this seems fine. And I use a Shimano alfine tensioner which is dirt cheap! But the rohloff looks ace! I might put the alfine on my girlfriend's city bike and get me one of those...

Posted: May 16, 2017 at 11:37 Quote
i went ahead and bought 34T narrow wide chainring for the front, and 13+15T for rear.
This would give me 2.62 for 13T and 2.27 for 15T

O+ FL
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 1:17 Quote
I'm running 32/13 on a 650b bike

Posted: May 29, 2018 at 9:07 Quote
I am getting the sbone single speed set, 34/13 gear ratio is what i am getting

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009054
Mobile Version of Website