Mallet E release problems--ideas?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Mallet E release problems--ideas?
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: May 16, 2017 at 10:19 Quote
Over the last couple months I've started having some release problems with my Mallet E's. I'm running them with Northwave Enduro Mid shoes. I've noticed that I need to kick my heel out further and further to get a release, and even then it's more of a grinding and not very positive.

Thinking that it had to be a worn set of cleats, I replaced them. Still having release problems. At a recent race I washed out in a corner and was stuck under my bike because I was having trouble releasing from the inside pedal.

So i've got a fresh set of cleats with the protector plates installed, and while the cages of the pedals are all beat to hell, but I don't see any damage to the actual engagement/release mechanism.

Has anyone else run into this? I don't see any weird marks on the shoes so I'm less inclined to believe it's an issue with that. The protector plates are quite worn, so I guess I could try replacing those. I'm open to suggestions.

Posted: May 16, 2017 at 17:41 Quote
DrPete wrote:
Over the last couple months I've started having some release problems with my Mallet E's. I'm running them with Northwave Enduro Mid shoes. I've noticed that I need to kick my heel out further and further to get a release, and even then it's more of a grinding and not very positive.

Thinking that it had to be a worn set of cleats, I replaced them. Still having release problems. At a recent race I washed out in a corner and was stuck under my bike because I was having trouble releasing from the inside pedal.

So i've got a fresh set of cleats with the protector plates installed, and while the cages of the pedals are all beat to hell, but I don't see any damage to the actual engagement/release mechanism.

Has anyone else run into this? I don't see any weird marks on the shoes so I'm less inclined to believe it's an issue with that. The protector plates are quite worn, so I guess I could try replacing those. I'm open to suggestions.

I've had that happen before if the cleat mount bolts aren't tight enough; the cleat turns a little bit every time you try to unclip, and requires more foot rotation to get out. Or, if the bolts are tight, verify you have the narrower release angle setup, and also check to see if the cleats are angled "toe out", as that will also cause your issue.

Posted: May 16, 2017 at 22:22 Quote
Got in touch with Crank Brothers and they recommended lubing the wings and spring. That did the trick--pedals engage and disengage like new.

Posted: May 17, 2017 at 18:50 Quote
I was actually going to suggest lubing the spring. My DH mallets got hard to get out of after awhile and a bit of lube cleared it right up.



FWIW most times people replace CB cleats because they release on the up stroke or too easy because they are worn.

Posted: May 22, 2017 at 12:40 Quote
Yeah, it was kind of shocking what a difference a few drops of lube made. Thanks for the tip about the cleats--funny thing is that even with brand new cleats the release feels too easy now. Probably just the abrupt change from "WTF I can't get out" mode. Smile

Posted: May 23, 2017 at 17:48 Quote
dirtrider76 wrote:
I was actually going to suggest lubing the spring. My DH mallets got hard to get out of after awhile and a bit of lube cleared it right up.



FWIW most times people replace CB cleats because they release on the up stroke or too easy because they are worn.

How did you lube the spring? Did you have to take out the whole thing and reassemble it? Or just dropped some lube directly on the spring without taking the pedals out of the crank?

Posted: May 24, 2017 at 11:44 Quote
Aideeaids wrote:
dirtrider76 wrote:
I was actually going to suggest lubing the spring. My DH mallets got hard to get out of after awhile and a bit of lube cleared it right up.



FWIW most times people replace CB cleats because they release on the up stroke or too easy because they are worn.

How did you lube the spring? Did you have to take out the whole thing and reassemble it? Or just dropped some lube directly on the spring without taking the pedals out of the crank?

I just dropped some chain lube on them.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005126
Mobile Version of Website