Do you find it absurd that I am a Christian? Why?

PB Forum :: Social / Political Issues
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 16, 2017 at 11:26 Quote
No matter how you say i,t everybody has faith in something; even agnostics. I am a very nice person, but when some people find out that I am a Christian they try to convert me. They say I need to smarten up. I am not a dumb person; I am 18 years old, have my high school diploma, have a college associates degree, and am involved in different honors societies (I also love to MTB!). They also say, "well I believe in science". What is that suppose to mean? I do too, but I also believe in God. I appreciate any post relevant to this subjectSmile

Posted: Jul 31, 2017 at 11:28 Quote
Christian faith, or any faith is not a matter of the intellect. Don't let anybody claim the intellectual high ground simply because they are an atheist or agnostic. There are minds both brilliant, simple and everything in between in both belief and un- belief. If you are looking for validation, read anything my C.S. Lewis, Watchman Nee or for a scientific point of view Francis Collins "The Language of God".
Keep in mind that science is not an ideology as many have made it out to be but a method of free inquiry that seeks to understand through observation and evidence. Many conclusions arrived at by this method have later been discarded as errors. Science has its place, but it will never be able to answer most of the big questions of life. Keep the faith brother, and ride on!

Posted: Aug 18, 2017 at 18:32 Quote
You do you man! I'm an atheist but I'm not going to hold any grudge against you unless you use your faith to belittle and/or harm others.

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 13:50 Quote
The Golden Rule; as old as the city 'Ur': "Do unto others as you wish them to do unto you."

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 23:44 Quote
Never quite got that one , what if your a right c*nt and don’t give a hoot about anything/anyone ! Just gives you carte blanche to do what the heck you like !
Love thy neighbour is tops !

Posted: Dec 15, 2017 at 11:58 Quote
Matt115lamb wrote:
Never quite got that one , what if your a right c*nt and don’t give a hoot about anything/anyone ! Just gives you carte blanche to do what the heck you like !
Wow, that was incredibly unintelligible!

Considering the age old definition to the text. Only a f*cking half-wit would think the above. Which in all honesty is fine. We need half-wits to expose themselves.

Posted: Dec 15, 2017 at 16:54 Quote
XCMark wrote:
Matt115lamb wrote:
Wow, that was incredibly unintelligible!

Considering the age old definition to the text. Only a f*cking half-wit would think the above. Which in all honesty is fine. We need half-wits to expose themselves.
If you thought it was unintelligible then why respond ? What I meant was “ if someone is a nasty bastard and doesn’t care for anything then he probably won’t care how people treat him/her ! So “ love thy neighbour “ is better all round !
Is that easier for you xcmark ! It was supposed to be funny but obviously not for you !

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 6:21 Quote
Oldmanron wrote:
Christian faith, or any faith is not a matter of the intellect. Don't let anybody claim the intellectual high ground simply because they are an atheist or agnostic. There are minds both brilliant, simple and everything in between in both belief and un- belief. If you are looking for validation, read anything my C.S. Lewis, Watchman Nee or for a scientific point of view Francis Collins "The Language of God".
Keep in mind that science is not an ideology as many have made it out to be but a method of free inquiry that seeks to understand through observation and evidence. Many conclusions arrived at by this method have later been discarded as errors. Science has its place, but it will never be able to answer most of the big questions of life. Keep the faith brother, and ride on!
This is really good, thanks man

Posted: Sep 8, 2018 at 6:51 Quote

yes, the idea that anyone in this day and age thinks that a sky fairy created the universe, died for our sins, was born to a virgin etc etc couldn't be any more moronic.

To believe in a god (any one of the 3000+ possible deities) is either insane, stupid or ignorant.

Posted: Sep 15, 2018 at 14:44 Quote
piman wrote:
You do you man! I'm an atheist but I'm not going to hold any grudge against you unless you use your faith to belittle and/or harm others.

Couldn't agree more. I am a Christian and take great comfort in my Faith. I also have very close friends who are Atheists and we love one another and respect our separate views and beliefs

Posted: Nov 20, 2018 at 9:02 Quote
Oh, my dear friends, we just hope that everything about any religion will disappear as soon as possible.

Posted: Jul 2, 2019 at 6:04 Quote
ka81 wrote:
Oh, my dear friends, we just hope that everything about any religion will disappear as soon as possible.

Only the simple-minded truly think this way. The intellectual realize that religion is a necessity for the survival of western civilization.

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 11:24 Quote
Enduro9 wrote:
No matter how you say i,t everybody has faith in something; even agnostics. I am a very nice person, but when some people find out that I am a Christian they try to convert me. They say I need to smarten up. I am not a dumb person; I am 18 years old, have my high school diploma, have a college associates degree, and am involved in different honors societies (I also love to MTB!). They also say, "well I believe in science". What is that suppose to mean? I do too, but I also believe in God. I appreciate any post relevant to this subjectSmile
Hey dude, I find the concept of anyone affiliating themselves to any religion a hard concept to even contemplate. I honestly don't understand people's choices but that's where it ends. I don't think any less or any more of said individuals. What is important though is that whilst out riding our bikes we should all make time to stop and chat a bit. Not about ourselves but about each other. People can be real douches whilst proclaiming to be part of a 'mountain bike community' so being part of a religion or not is no guarantee of anything. Play nice kids (Woody, Toy Story 1).

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 0:58 Quote
If there is an afterlife or we get reincarnated it won’t have anything to do with god of any religious fakery , it will be more to do with ...................................................................................................ill get back later thank you !
The history of life in the expected lifespan of this universe is a gran of sand in a planet of beach !

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2019 at 15:34 Quote
Enduro9 wrote:

To address your original question, my question would be how you came to have faith specifically in Christianity, instead of say Islam, Mormon, or even Scientology? In every religion, you have to have faith that what is said is true without proof. Why do you believe that Jesus died and came back to life as opposed to Islam where Jesus didn't die on the cross, or the multiple gods of Mormonism....or in having past lives in Scientology?

What made you decide to have faith in one thing over another? How many different religions did you learn about in your quest for truth? Did you question yours, look at the various religions out there, and then come back to realize that this was the one that made the most sense to you?

Data supports that religions are grouped throughout the world (for example, Mormonism in Utah). Did all of these people think about their religion as adults (with established reasoning skills) and decide to move to the same area to find like minded people....or did they grow up as a Mormon and just decided to stay without even contemplating other options. This isn't isolated to that religion/region either. It's the same mentality for the reason that people are "Ford" or "Chevy" people.....or "Cowboys" or "Giants" fans. They grew up and were indoctrinated.

That's the issue that I have with it, so few people have actually thought critically about why they believe what they believe. And even if you did, I'm not sure how you'd have picked between a virgin giving birth over Xenu ruler of the Galactic Confederacy (Scientology)....or even Zeus the god of Thunder. Zeus is completely dismissed in current times, but it's not any more far fetched than anything else.

Finally, anecdotally, almost everyone I know who practices a religion is that way because that's how they were raised. Not because it's what they actually may believe in. They were told what to believe when they were growing up, and they never stopped to think whether or not it made sense to them.

If one does actually ponder it and then land back on a particular religion, more power to them. If you don't think critically about it, then personally, I would have doubts as to whether that person was actually religious, or just found comfort in it and went along for the ride without any more contemplation.

Respectfully,

Chris

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013761
Mobile Version of Website