Evil insurgent vs New Firebird! anyone ridden both ?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Evil insurgent vs New Firebird! anyone ridden both ?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 17, 2017 at 15:17 Quote
Hi guys,
Im selling my Bronson 2 cc which I enjoyed and loved for 18 months. Ive improved my riding skills considerably during this time and now looking for something fmore targeted for enduro and downhill.
With the recent discounts in evil I now have two options with my current budget:

- Evil with push + my current Lyrik 160mm
- new Firebird with X2 and Float 36 kashima - all new.

Has anyone ridden both? Any comments or suggestions? I know insurgent is a more fun bike and firebird more kind of a pure DH bike. Is that correct? I love the poppy attitude on the Bronson and wouldn't like to loose that. Is there a big difference in geometry betwwen the firebird and the evil?

I do quite a lot of climbing but strong descents aswell. I will also be going to Whistler in July so what do you guys recommend? I know the Insurgent has been out for longer and the firebird comes with boost, longer travel.. So is it a more advanced bike? Will the insurgent evolve aswell in 2018?

I will be using my Nobl TR33 wheelsset.

Also, im 6'3" and evil recommends Large and Pivot XL. But I tend to like downsizing a little bit ...

Thank you for the help.

Posted: May 18, 2017 at 15:23 Quote
Based off Insurgent (L) Vs. Firebird (XL)

Fairly similar geometry overall:
The seat tube angle is pretty much the same for both
17" vs. 16.93" chain stay length
65.6 vs. 65-degree head tube angles; almost a degree in difference
25.20" vs. 26.2" toptube
5" vs. 5.12" head tube length
47.30" vs. 49.32" wheelbase

I have only taken the insurgent out for a ride twice... when I did, that thing absolutely ripped! I would say that the insurgent CLIMBS better than the firebird. On the downhill it handled just about everything I threw at it, but with that being said, I have never taken it to a bike park.

The firebird's DW link is nice, and with your suspension set up, you can climb surprisingly well with 7" of travel. This bike would absolutely rip in whistler, and definitely would have more capability on the downhills for overall trail riding as well.

If I was in your position and wanted an overall-type of bike, I would grab the insurgent... If you are gonna hit the bike parks a lot, or you like to shuttle more than ride uphills I would lean towards the firebird.

Posted: May 19, 2017 at 7:28 Quote
Thank you for the reply . Riding is going to be Mostly trails and a enduro races . I guess insurgent is more capable for that

O+
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 16:29 Quote
If mostly trails and Enduro I'd say the Evil Calling or the new Pivot 5.5 would be better choices. They will ride much faster on the ups and down most trails other than maybe full downhill or park runs. They'll also be much more poppy and responsive. Also the YT Jeffsy 27 would fit the bill for a great price.
Check out Skills With Phil on YouTube to see how capable and fast he can ride the Calling on some steep gnarly trails.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011022
Mobile Version of Website