2018 RM Altitude

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
2018 RM Altitude
Author Message
Posted: Dec 16, 2018 at 3:24 Quote
Has anyone had any issues with rattling in the rear end on the Altitude?

Just built up my C90 frame. Can’t figure out what is rattling. The rattling feels like a shock bolt is loose, but i I’ve checked every single bolt, and they’re all tight (not over torqued either). Cables are sorted, snug, and have foam around them.

Possibly just a lot of chain slap?

Bike rides like a dream otherwise!

Posted: Dec 16, 2018 at 5:16 Quote
TheDeadSailor wrote:
Has anyone had any issues with rattling in the rear end on the Altitude?

Just built up my C90 frame. Can’t figure out what is rattling. The rattling feels like a shock bolt is loose, but i I’ve checked every single bolt, and they’re all tight (not over torqued either). Cables are sorted, snug, and have foam around them.

Possibly just a lot of chain slap?

Bike rides like a dream otherwise!

I get this from time to time, some random rattle. Like you say, everything is tight. Maybe it is just the chain? Or to me it almost sounds like a loose bottle cage or similar.

Either way, it's not fallen apart yet! And it still puts a massive smile on my face every time I ride it!

Posted: Dec 16, 2018 at 11:50 Quote
I get a lot of squeaking from the upper shock mount on my a30

Posted: Dec 16, 2018 at 12:00 Quote
Same issue with the upper mount. Be careful though I snapped that bolt in half twice before they gave me a steel one and still managed to wallow out the treads on that one. That’s probably your issue.

Posted: Dec 16, 2018 at 15:48 Quote
Pretty sure it’s chain slap. What size chainrings are you guys running? What chainguide? Do you get any rattling noises through high speed small hits/chunder?

I have a 32t front with the e thirteen 11speed in the rear(smallest cog is 9t) so my chain is really close to the chainstay.

Posted: Dec 16, 2018 at 20:15 Quote
TheDeadSailor wrote:
Pretty sure it’s chain slap. What size chainrings are you guys running? What chainguide? Do you get any rattling noises through high speed small hits/chunder?

I have a 32t front with the e thirteen 11speed in the rear(smallest cog is 9t) so my chain is really close to the chainstay.

do you still have the stock chain slap protector on the frame?

if so wrap a tube around it. the hard plastic is loud, tubes quite it down.

Posted: Dec 23, 2018 at 13:54 Quote
TheDeadSailor wrote:
Has anyone had any issues with rattling in the rear end on the Altitude?

Just built up my C90 frame. Can’t figure out what is rattling. The rattling feels like a shock bolt is loose, but i I’ve checked every single bolt, and they’re all tight (not over torqued either). Cables are sorted, snug, and have foam around them.

Possibly just a lot of chain slap?

Bike rides like a dream otherwise!


Yeah chain slap, it's a loud bike in the backend over Chatterty terrain at speed. Let's everyone know to gtfo of the way!

Posted: Jan 3, 2019 at 19:26 Quote
hey all, looking to long shock my altitude A30 what is the offset bushing size needed to make this happen?

Cheers!

Posted: Jan 3, 2019 at 23:53 Quote
stuart-little wrote:
hey all, looking to long shock my altitude A30 what is the offset bushing size needed to make this happen?

Cheers!

I don't think you need an offset bush, if you are happy to run it in its slackest setting.


Otherwise.... im sure one of the guys will have the info.


Are you increasing front travel at all?


I did consider going this route, but I don't really need the extra travel, so had a Fox X2 custom built to the correct 210x55 length.

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 at 2:19 Quote
thunder-nuggets wrote:
150mm

On the large size 2018 can you set the dropper post right down to the top of the seat tube? The RM promo shots show it clamped about 2 inches up. I'm just thinking about being able to use all the standover height (obviously at the expense of saddle height when extended).

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 at 14:13 Quote
Has anybody had an issue with the rear axle? I have an 18 a70. I see that it must be a left hand thread by the way it is marked. It serms extremely tight and started to mush the hex. What gives?

I just realized that maybe I should have been trying to loosen it from the non drive side. As it seems the drive side nut is threaded into the frame and then the axle threads into that... Now I feel dumb.

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 at 23:54 Quote
Trailuhpark wrote:
Has anybody had an issue with the rear axle? I have an 18 a70. I see that it must be a left hand thread by the way it is marked. It serms extremely tight and started to mush the hex. What gives?

I just realized that maybe I should have been trying to loosen it from the non drive side. As it seems the drive side nut is threaded into the frame and then the axle threads into that... Now I feel dumb.

yup, its misleading, as you say, despite the tightening directs, the axle comes out from the other side...… assuming my memory serves me correctly!

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 at 20:19 Quote
Trailuhpark wrote:
Has anybody had an issue with the rear axle? I have an 18 a70. I see that it must be a left hand thread by the way it is marked. It serms extremely tight and started to mush the hex. What gives?

I just realized that maybe I should have been trying to loosen it from the non drive side. As it seems the drive side nut is threaded into the frame and then the axle threads into that... Now I feel dumb.

Careful as axle tends to cease up. Broke my girlfriends axle trying to loosen it ad it was that ceased up that it simply snapped at the thread. RM has a different hanger on their web shop now with a different that replaces Axle Reverse Thread Axle Nut System... seemed to be a flawed design.
https://shop.bikes.com/collections/parts/products/2017-shimano-hanger-kit

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 at 21:26 Quote
I got it figured, its a standard right hand thread
on the non drive side.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018083
Mobile Version of Website