2018 RM Altitude

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
2018 RM Altitude
| Next Page
Posted: Mar 5, 2019 at 8:46 Quote
feathers54 wrote:
thunder-nuggets wrote:

2018 Altitude A30

Raw frame, MRP Ribbon, Marzocchi Bomber CR, Vee Tire Flow Snap/Crown gem, 170mm BX dropper NX drive, Duroc wheels, Magura MT5 brakes.

how did you raw it! and was it worth it?

I disassembled everything and got it sandblasted. I would seriously recommend getting the bearings pulled cause mine got shot and baked. so I had to order a new set.

gives it a unique look, lots of people dig it.

I always put a WD-40 polish/wax to keep oxidation from happening.

Posted: Mar 5, 2019 at 8:48 Quote
575TRD wrote:
thunder-nuggets wrote:

2018 Altitude A30

Raw frame, MRP Ribbon, Marzocchi Bomber CR, Vee Tire Flow Snap/Crown gem, 170mm BX dropper NX drive, Duroc wheels, Magura MT5 brakes.

How do you like the bomber coil? I’ve been really considering on getting one.

so far the build quality is outstanding and it seems top notch. but were surrounded by 4 ft of snow so I won't be riding for a while, unfortunately. I'll definitely give an update on it though when I can.

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 13:06 Quote
thunder-nuggets wrote:
feathers54 wrote:
thunder-nuggets wrote:

2018 Altitude A30

I disassembled everything and got it sandblasted. I would seriously recommend getting the bearings pulled cause mine got shot and baked. so I had to order a new set.

how much did the sandblasting cost, did u consider a clear coat or a brushed finish?
also what do you think of those vee tires, might get some tan walls on my altitude
cheers

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 14:15 Quote
feathers54 wrote:
thunder-nuggets wrote:
feathers54 wrote:

how much did the sandblasting cost, did u consider a clear coat or a brushed finish?
also what do you think of those vee tires, might get some tan walls on my altitude
cheers

Sand blast was 70$ USD. I considered a brush and finish but i just went with one coat of a clear matte primer and the monthly wax.

I love Vee tires. IMO they have tougher and ore damped casings, with way grippier rubber at half the price of a cheapo minion.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 7:15 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
Nice coil!

Custom built to the 210x55? Or have you 'long shocked' it?!

I have also just fitted a DHX2. I used a 8.5"x2.5" one, and with a couple of offset bushings and some custom hardware I have the length down to about 213mm. I am going to be fitting a spacer to reduce the travel to 55mm.

Out of interest, those with coil shocks, (if it's not too personal a question!) what are your weights/coil choices?

I have a 425 spring and I am around 82kg/180lbs. I'm thinking I might need a 450 or 475.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 8:43 Quote
ianthornton wrote:
v7fmp wrote:
Nice coil!

I have also just fitted a DHX2. I used a 8.5"x2.5" one, and with a couple of offset bushings and some custom hardware I have the length down to about 213mm. I am going to be fitting a spacer to reduce the travel to 55mm.

Out of interest, those with coil shocks, (if it's not too personal a question!) what are your weights/coil choices?

I have a 425 spring and I am around 82kg/180lbs. I'm thinking I might need a 450 or 475.

If you get the stroke down to 55, you’ll probably want at least 475. I’m ~150, and have 450lb spring. I feel like I could possibly use a 475. But I still haven’t really had any bottom outs.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 9:02 Quote
ianthornton wrote:
v7fmp wrote:
Nice coil!

what does the coil feel like to ride man?

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 9:32 Quote
feathers54 wrote:
ianthornton wrote:
v7fmp wrote:
Nice coil!

what does the coil feel like to ride man?

I would be interested to hear some feedback. I almost went coil, but went with the Fox X2 instead, which I am really pleased with, but a coil always looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 11:19 Quote
hey v7fmp, do you have any pics of your Altitude?

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 at 1:24 Quote
thunder-nuggets wrote:
hey v7fmp, do you have any pics of your Altitude?

unfortunately not at the moment!

there are a few on my Instagram, but not in the bikes current build.

https://www.instagram.com/v7fmp/

I will try and get some taken!

Posted: 21 hours ago Quote
Here is my 2018 Altitude carbon 50.

Had the bike a little over a year and it has served me well in the UK. Natural trails, bike park wales, trail centres, a week in Finale Ligure etc.

My intentions weren't to do much to it, but you know how it goes.... so I managed to almost destroy my rear wheel, so upgraded to a set of Industry9 hubs on Stans Flow Mk3 rims.

I changed out my bar to a spank Vibracore 35mm, which is really comfy (although not 100% sure how effective the vibracore is?!). Once the original grips wore out, I replaced them with DMR deathgrips, which I have been very impressed with. I think its my go to grip now. Wolftooth dropper leaver.... best thing ever!

I debated on changing to a coil, but I thought sticking with air, so went with a fox x2. The 210x55 sizing isn't available in the uk as yet, so I had Fox UK custom build one for me (they just got the nearest size and shimmed it to fit I think). Its a great bit of kit. Although the endless adjustment is a bit of a minefield for joe average!

I put on my faithful Specialized saddle, as its comfy for my wide sit bones, and thankfully doesn't bare any bright specialized logos!

Tyre wise, I am a Schwalbe fan, so run a Magic mary front all year, with a rock razor rear during the summer and new Hans Dampf during the winter, all in addix soft and in a Super Gravity casing. I am happy to sacrifice some weight for the protection of the thicker casing. Touch wood, apart from the odd burp, I have had no tyre issues.

One EDC tool in the fork and a Unite components bash guard and 30t chainring complete the changes.

Future plans.... I want a new stem, either spank or a industry 9. I am thinking of some Shimano XT 4 pots. Other than that, its to convince myself that I don't need a 29er and that this bike still rips!!

Rocky Mountain Altitude Carbon 2018

Posted: 20 hours ago Quote
looks sick dude, I'm guessing you're a d&d cycles user cos of the bash guard and pedals? looks like a sick bike, would you say the x2 is far superior to the dps or only a bit. would love to know how the xt four pot feels?
ben

Posted: 19 hours ago Quote
feathers54 wrote:
looks sick dude, I'm guessing you're a d&d cycles user cos of the bash guard and pedals? looks like a sick bike, would you say the x2 is far superior to the dps or only a bit. would love to know how the xt four pot feels?
ben

cheers buddy. Yup, d&d are my local bike shop. They sorted the x2 and unite bits for me.

I just got some setting from j-tech suspension for the shock, so hopefully it should give me a decent base to work from (i'm a bit shock setting illiterate!). But it does feel better than the original shock...… nearly £700 better.... the jury is still out!

But I am pleased with it thus far.

I have some stealth decals for the fork and shock, but i'm not sure if I should apply them... I like the less is more look.

Posted: 13 hours ago Quote
really looks good muddy tup

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.035285
Mobile Version of Website