2018 RM Altitude

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
2018 RM Altitude
Posted: Jun 30, 2019 at 16:05 Quote
Anyone come up with a reasonable solution to getting the shock air can off? I've read you need a god damn bearing puller. It's frustrating how complicated they turned "regular maintenance" into.

I had the shock pulled off the bike and seal kit spread out before i realized the issue.

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 at 0:39 Quote
jbones84 wrote:
Anyone come up with a reasonable solution to getting the shock air can off? I've read you need a god damn bearing puller. It's frustrating how complicated they turned "regular maintenance" into.

I had the shock pulled off the bike and seal kit spread out before i realized the issue.

which shock? I have an X2 on mine and its easy to pull apart.

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 at 3:05 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
jbones84 wrote:

DPX2 and DPS. You can't pull off the aircan without pulling out the eyelet hardware that holds the eyelet bearings. And the hardware is press fit and you need an internal 8mm bearing puller to extract them. Mega annoying design... wonder if there's normal hardware with bushings available?

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 at 17:25 Quote
Nicksen wrote:
v7fmp wrote:
jbones84 wrote:

DPX2 and DPS. You can't pull off the aircan without pulling out the eyelet hardware that holds the eyelet bearings. And the hardware is press fit and you need an internal 8mm bearing puller to extract them. Mega annoying design... wonder if there's normal hardware with bushings available?

I made a tool by myself in a few mins. Take a road brake bolt that is long enough, cut through it on the filtered side so it can be used as a wedge. Then use a flat head screw that you buff to fit inside the 8mm bearing. Then you can use it as an extractor just like these:

https://www.thebikeshop.com/product/wheels-manufacturing-inc.-sealed-bearing-extractor-17mm-341356-1.htm?variations=3167068,3167069&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3uboBRDCARIsAO2XcYCmKCNf2T2BWK4JVVOgKyrdymPQBuil48FWEiy0O4BjWzoFHV0bfe8aAsU4EALw_wcB

Easy and it works!

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 at 18:58 Quote
rizz121 wrote:
Nicksen wrote:
v7fmp wrote:

I made a tool by myself in a few mins. Take a road brake bolt that is long enough, cut through it on the filtered side so it can be used as a wedge. Then use a flat head screw that you buff to fit inside the 8mm bearing. Then you can use it as an extractor just like these:

https://www.thebikeshop.com/product/wheels-manufacturing-inc.-sealed-bearing-extractor-17mm-341356-1.htm?variations=3167068,3167069&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3uboBRDCARIsAO2XcYCmKCNf2T2BWK4JVVOgKyrdymPQBuil48FWEiy0O4BjWzoFHV0bfe8aAsU4EALw_wcB

Easy and it works!

Interesting, thanks for the DIY idea. I'd love to see a picture of what you rigged up if you didnt mind posting one

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 at 19:51 Quote
jbones84 wrote:
rizz121 wrote:
Nicksen wrote:

Easy and it works!

Interesting, thanks for the DIY idea. I'd love to see a picture of what you rigged up if you didnt mind posting one

https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/17410799/

You jam it into the sleeve/bearing and hit it with an allen key / hammer combo!

Posted: Jul 2, 2019 at 7:39 Quote
I’ve been riding a Kona Hei Hei for a couple years now and really enjoyed it. My daughter is old enough to start coming with me and the Hei Hei was just too rough (120 front / 100 rear) so I started looking at a Kona Process. Well, the shop had a smoking deal on this Altitude A70 and I couldn’t pass it up. I needed the AL frame so I can clamp the seat mount to it. The ride is so much better for my monster and the bike is just so comfortable. I have to run the stock Kona stem to clear the seat bracket which makes for a longer reach.

[url
] https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb17412104/p5pb17412104.jpg [url]

Posted: Jul 2, 2019 at 7:58 Quote

THERE YA GO!

Very cool.

I take my daughter on mine, I have the Macride seat, she loves it!

Posted: Jul 2, 2019 at 8:08 Quote
wrote:
THERE YA GO!

Very cool.

I take my daughter on mine, I have the Macride seat, she loves it!

Thanks man!! I was having a really hard time figuring that out. Haha

It’s the best. She holds her hands up like it’s a roller coaster and says “weeeeee” whenever we go downhill. Then we sing ABC’s up the climbs. It’s good breathing exercises I guess? I just need to work on adjusting the rear shock.

The Macride will be nice but I think it’s about a year down the road? She doesn’t understand she has to hold on yet. This seats bulky and in the way.

Posted: Jul 4, 2019 at 4:27 Quote

My A50 2019 on its first ride.

Posted: Jul 5, 2019 at 19:16 Quote
sooo uhhh wtf?

this is my upper shock bolt. did a full rebuild on everything to find out why my POS squeaks so much. anyone want to buy a Large 2018 Aluminum Altitude frame with new hardware?

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 7:38 Quote
playing around with the ride-9 and the shock on my 2018 A50 - fox float DPS performance

position 1 is awesome but the suspension ramp up harshness is noticeable. Could removing the volume spacer help out with that? And make the suspension curve more linear? I'm going to try it out later today but since that that increased progressiveness is from the adjusted geo im not sure I fully understand the role of the volume spacer when it comes to this sort of tuning (or if it even plays a part). Or if this is where people start considering alternative shocks.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 6:54 Quote
It’s so hard to find good info on Ride 9. I want to do more measurements with it. You loose a ton of travel in position 1. I think it’s about an 1”? I am running position 9 @ 33% sag at the moment. I think position 9 is around 157mm of travel. Position 1 is around 135mm I think?

I am wondering what the BB height is in position 9 @ 30% sag compared to BB height of position 1 @ 25% sag? The suspension feels a lot smoother in position 9.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 8:00 Quote
stubs179 wrote:
It’s so hard to find good info on Ride 9. I want to do more measurements with it. You loose a ton of travel in position 1. I think it’s about an 1”? I am running position 9 @ 33% sag at the moment. I think position 9 is around 157mm of travel. Position 1 is around 135mm I think?

I am wondering what the BB height is in position 9 @ 30% sag compared to BB height of position 1 @ 25% sag? The suspension feels a lot smoother in position 9.

I was under the impression you got 139mm of rear wheel travel in the slackest setting, so only an 11mm loss. I seem to remember reading it in the ride-9 guide, but there seems to be a more generic one on the rocky mountain site now.

I will see if I can find it, as it gives all the travel figures.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 14:25 Quote
stubs179 wrote:

i was under the impression that the travel always remained at 150mm and the ride nine only changed the progression?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015310
Mobile Version of Website