2018 RM Altitude

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
2018 RM Altitude
Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 16:21 Quote
thunder-nuggets wrote:
sooo uhhh wtf?

this is my upper shock bolt. did a full rebuild on everything to find out why my POS squeaks so much. anyone want to buy a Large 2018 Aluminum Altitude frame with new hardware?

This happened to me four times before I sold mine. stupid design.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 20:37 Quote
feathers54 wrote:
stubs179 wrote:
It’s so hard to find good info on Ride 9. I want to do more measurements with it. You loose a ton of travel in position 1. I think it’s about an 1”? I am running position 9 @ 33% sag at the moment. I think position 9 is around 157mm of travel. Position 1 is around 135mm I think?

I am wondering what the BB height is in position 9 @ 30% sag compared to BB height of position 1 @ 25% sag? The suspension feels a lot smoother in position 9.

i was under the impression that the travel always remained at 150mm and the ride nine only changed the progression?

Nope. There is at least a 20mm travel difference from position 1 to 9. 1 is a little less than 140mm and 9 is around 160mm.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 1:23 Quote
stubs179 wrote:
feathers54 wrote:
stubs179 wrote:
It’s so hard to find good info on Ride 9. I want to do more measurements with it. You loose a ton of travel in position 1. I think it’s about an 1”? I am running position 9 @ 33% sag at the moment. I think position 9 is around 157mm of travel. Position 1 is around 135mm I think?

I am wondering what the BB height is in position 9 @ 30% sag compared to BB height of position 1 @ 25% sag? The suspension feels a lot smoother in position 9.

i was under the impression that the travel always remained at 150mm and the ride nine only changed the progression?

Nope. There is at least a 20mm travel difference from position 1 to 9. 1 is a little less than 140mm and 9 is around 160mm.

but the rear travel is only 150mm at max.... not 160mm. As mentioned, I was under the impression that at slackest, you only got 139mm of travel, then 150mm in the steepest.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 11:30 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
stubs179 wrote:
feathers54 wrote:

but the rear travel is only 150mm at max.... not 160mm. As mentioned, I was under the impression that at slackest, you only got 139mm of travel, then 150mm in the steepest.

I’m pretty sure mine cycled about 157mm in position 9. Maybe 153? I’ll have to measure again.

If you get a chance look at the other thread I started. It’s at the top. I feel like my measurements are pretty accurate?

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 14:33 Quote
stubs179 wrote:
v7fmp wrote:
stubs179 wrote:

I’m pretty sure mine cycled about 157mm in position 9. Maybe 153? I’ll have to measure again.

If you get a chance look at the other thread I started. It’s at the top. I feel like my measurements are pretty accurate?
[Quote="trifecta"]

The travel does change as you change the Ride 9 positions, the 150mm of travel is measured in the neutral setting 5. Position 1 has the least travel but the suspension progression increases, while in position 9 you have more travel but the suspension is a less progressive.

I don't know if Rocky has every published the changes in travel for the different Ride 9 positions, but they do list the changes in the suspension progression in their Ride 9 manual found on their website.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 1:02 Quote
So as mentioned in the other thread, I was under the impression the travel reduced the slacker the bike got.

I have found the document that makes me believe this.

you can see it here:

https://www.bikes.com/sites/default/files/resources/2018_Ride9_Altitude_EN_0.pdf

On page 4 it shows the suspension curve, and the amount of travel received for slack, middle and steep. It definitely changes.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 7:53 Quote
I’ve looked at that chart a couple times and never paid attention to where the lines stopped in relation to the travel. Good call.

I went up to Dear Valley in Park City yesterday. They have a pretty good park. I started with my Ride9 in position 1 and the ramp up on the shock is crazy. I went back to position 5 and it was way better. Probably the most fun bike I have owned to date. You’d really have to play with the shock to get position 1 to feel good. I’d guess remove all volume spacers to start?

I really don’t understand RM’s geo tables either? I was comparing the large Altitude geo to the new Bronson last night. BB height is within 2mm but the Bronson has a BB drop of 14mm and the Altitude (position 5) is listed as 7mm. I didn’t see how that’s possible so I measured my bike. Unless I’m totally off in how I’m measuring the Altitude is much closer to 12mm than 7mm? WTF?

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 11:58 Quote
stubs179 wrote:
You’d really have to play with the shock to get position 1 to feel good. I’d guess remove all volume spacers to start?

I have a Large 2018 A50 with the Float DPS Performance shock (150 lb rider). I just spent a couple weeks in position 1 and totally agree, I actually removed the only volume spacer the other day to see how it would feel and actually think it got worse. I'm sure someone more well versed in suspension tuning could do better though. Today I put the volume spacer back in and reset the chip to position 5, I think it will probably stay there.

The recent pinkbike review of the 2019 A30 sorta suggested the same feeling about postion 1. Great write up on the bike.

Also interesting catch on the BB height, lowering the BB height was one of the main reasons I wanted to try position 1.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 0:20 Quote
So uhhhh,
Just finished last run of the day in les gets and looked down and my top shock bolt wasn’t there! Only had the black alloy female side holding it in! Think this might have something to do with me casing a river gap a few hours earlier, oh well. Anyone know where i can get a new one?

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 10:02 Quote
Having a 170mm fork, I want to run a longer travel bike with a 8,5x2,5 shock length. Probably a DVO or a Suntour Triair.

I went through this thread and I have found precious info. As stated, no need for offset bushings when installing a 8,5 shock and staying in position 1 (ride9).

But I would like to be able to run position 1 to 5 (or at least 3rd mode).

What are the exact specifications for the offset bushing to achieve this? Do I need 2 pair of bushings? I am new here and not familiar with RM bolt and bushings.

Thanks so much

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 8:39 Quote
I just purchased a mint condition Altitude Alloy 30. The price was very good. I'm wanting to take my time and slowly upgrade this bike so im wanting to ask what are some of the first upgrades I should look at?

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 9:13 Quote
Wheels-brakes-suspension

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 9:40 Quote
Wait until something breaks or wears out, then upgrade that component. I’ll bet it rides very nice now, just slightly heavier than with upgrades. Hopefully you go years without needing to upgrade. I switched from a 32t chainring to 36t because I needed more top end speed and wasn’t using the lowest climb gear on my Altitude. My 1999 Element got a new rear shock (with lockout) when the original Fox Float-R (no lockout) seals starting leaking air, but that was 4-5 years ago.

If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it.

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 17:36 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
Wait until something breaks or wears out, then upgrade that component. I’ll bet it rides very nice now, just slightly heavier than with upgrades. Hopefully you go years without needing to upgrade. I switched from a 32t chainring to 36t because I needed more top end speed and wasn’t using the lowest climb gear on my Altitude. My 1999 Element got a new rear shock (with lockout) when the original Fox Float-R (no lockout) seals starting leaking air, but that was 4-5 years ago.

If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it.

this is great advice and makes the most sense! cheers

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011322
Mobile Version of Website