Opinions on a few DH bikes

PB Forum :: Downhill
Opinions on a few DH bikes
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 22, 2017 at 10:16 Quote
Looking for recommendations/thoughts for a entry DH race bike. I have raced a few enduro events, but I wanna try my hand at pure DH stuff.

Im not so concerned with playfulness or agility, as I have an enduro and a older 26" freeride bike for the tighter stuff or air playfullness. I want this thing to be long and slack so I can bomb stuff at higher speeds and time myself even when Im not racing.

Trying to keep it new around $3000 with AL frame. Not really looking at used bikes, all the older ones that are cheaper have more steep head angles and shorter wheelbases, and the newer ones are not that much cheaper than what I can get brand new. Main goal is to get a good platform which I can build upon over time.

Current Contenders:

Giant Glory 2. My first choice. I honestly love everything about this bike, except is the most expensive. My LBS is a giant dealer so I can get free shipping and easier warranty should I need it. Its got a very long wheelbase of 1256 mm and a slack head angle. The downside is the suspension - kage R and domain rc. I will probably replace these at some point in the future but I heard that they are not that good off the bat. On the other hand, with better fork and shock, it would be the perfect bike.

YT Tues AL. Slightly shorter wheelbase, steeper head angle by half a degree. Fully shipped it will be about $100 less than the Glory, but on the other hand it has the boxer and the kage RC stock. Its been race proven as well, so this is my second choice despite the geo.

Commencal Supreme DH V4.2. Its about the same as the YT, the only thing is I keep hearing about the ability to replace dropouts and offset the steerer to change wheelbase, which actually would be very cool since I like tuning the bike, but I can't find any info online except for the dropouts for the DH V3. Anyone know what is up with this?

Commencal Furious. This is honestly the best bang/buck, considering its $500 cheaper than the others with good suspension, and it has a steep head angle, and wheelbase closer to the Glory. However its single pivot, which Im not super enthused about. My freeride bike is a single pivot, and while it works its definitely not as good as the Masetro on my Giant.

Thoughts or opinions? I would like to stick either with Giant or any of the brands I can order direct, as the only bike shop in my area that has good customer service is the Giant dealer.

Posted: May 22, 2017 at 13:45 Quote
Commencal furious mate - wait, ignore this. I didn't realise that this would be a race bike.

V4.2 as better spec than the giant.

Posted: May 22, 2017 at 19:40 Quote
I would avoid the Domain RC. Its a shit fork even compared to the boxxer RC, and its heavy as well. YT tues or V4.2 are definitely the best bets

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009301
Mobile Version of Website