Help with ideas for building trails.

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Help with ideas for building trails.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 26, 2017 at 7:59 Quote
Hey Everyone, I'm new to Pink Bike forums.

I've recently gotten back into mountain biking and dusted the old hardtail off and been getting out and hitting some of the local trails. I've been pushing myself to ride in things that I'm not super comfortable with, but trying to build up some skill and confidence. I come across different things like drops and jumps or even downed trees and usually end up getting off and letting everyone with more experience go ahead cause I don't want to be that guy that holds everyone up on their weekend ride. Which brings me to my point.
My family owns a really beautiful chunk of property (160ish Acres) and over 95% of the property is completely unused. It's a really nice quiet place to go and work on skills, ie - Manuals, Bunny hops, etc.. but it occured to me that it would be a good place to maybe put in a trail that runs around the property to help build some confidence.
I was hoping to maybe get some advice as to what kind of obstacles to put in and maybe good starting points for drops and what not. I know its a broad question, but any input and advice helps.
I have some equipment (mini-excavator) at my disposal.

Thanks in advance.

Wook.

Posted: May 27, 2017 at 14:56 Quote
Build a jumps line and make it moderatly big. Hitting jumps you have made is way easier than hitting other jumps since you've designed it and after a while you'll know how a jump will feel before you even jump it. It'I'll build your jumping confidence so much and you'll be a better rider. I'd also build a trail depending on the gradient of the land. Chuck some berms, drops and a couple kickers into the mix and once you're used to them hitting stuff at the bike park will seem so much easier.

Posted: May 28, 2017 at 7:01 Quote
jaha222 wrote:
Build a jumps line and make it moderatly big. Hitting jumps you have made is way easier than hitting other jumps since you've designed it and after a while you'll know how a jump will feel before you even jump it..

Right on thanks for the advice, is there any specific design of jump you think would be good for beginners, or just any old jump?

Posted: May 28, 2017 at 7:22 Quote
MrWookie wrote:
jaha222 wrote:
Build a jumps line and make it moderatly big. Hitting jumps you have made is way easier than hitting other jumps since you've designed it and after a while you'll know how a jump will feel before you even jump it..

Right on thanks for the advice, is there any specific design of jump you think would be good for beginners, or just any old jump?

tabletops are great since if you mess up your speed you can roll it or if you case you won't hurt yourself.

Posted: May 28, 2017 at 7:23 Quote
MrWookie wrote:
jaha222 wrote:

Table Tops 100% if u are a beginner but once u start getting more confident build gap jumps.

Posted: May 29, 2017 at 10:09 Quote
Right on. Thanks for the advice guys.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018691
Mobile Version of Website