27.5+ tire recommendations?

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
27.5+ tire recommendations?
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 27, 2017 at 22:46 Quote
Hey everyone so i have the Maxxis Minion DHF 2.80 x 27.5 tires on my 2017 Scott Genius LT 720. I do a lot of road miles commuting and also riding to trails on this bike. On the trail the DHF's are extremely grippy and i love it, but there is heaps of rolling resistance on the road.

What tires should I look at that'll give me both decent on-road performance and good off-road performance.

Posted: May 28, 2017 at 14:21 Quote
I have a 3.0 nobby Nick if front and a 2.8 rocket ron on back. I've only ride on them 2 times, but from my limited riding I like them so far.

Posted: May 28, 2017 at 14:27 Quote
Just out of curiosity what pressures do you run

Posted: May 29, 2017 at 3:11 Quote
TannerZ wrote:
Just out of curiosity what pressures do you run

My tires say 35psi, i have 50psi in them.

Posted: May 29, 2017 at 10:27 Quote
What? Those have to be rock hard. I run around 15.

Posted: May 30, 2017 at 2:56 Quote
TannerZ wrote:
What? Those have to be rock hard. I run around 15.

I feel like my pressure gauge is misreading, i can still easily press in on them.

Posted: Sep 7, 2017 at 1:48 Quote
I just got a digital pressure gauge, looks like it'll be a well worthy gadget

Posted: Sep 7, 2017 at 1:50 Quote
Plus I'll be running 2.8 Nobby Nics f&r which are a good compromise I reckon on 34mm inner width rims and will probably run just over 20 psi bearing in mind I heavyweight and will be riding on road to get to trails too.

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 19:02 Quote
2.8 dhf 16_20 psi all day long not looking bak

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 18, 2017 at 11:30 Quote
So far I have ran a DHF/DHF, DHF/Rekon, and DHF/HR2 - front/rear respectively. All the tires have been the 3C/EXO. Tire pressure has been key with the plus tires so i've been using a digital gauge to make sure things are dialed. For trail riding, i've been 15/17 psi front/rear, and for more agressive and lift serviced riding i go anywhere from 17-19 psi in the front and 19-21 psi in the rear.

While I do enjoy the grip of the DHF, running it both front and rear was a little too slow and too much rolling resistance for my taste for anything outside of lift serviced riding. Once i swapped a Rekon onto the rear, the bike immediately felt faster on normal 'trail riding' type terrain.

I thought DHF/HR2 combo has been great for everything from general trail riding to lift serviced downhill. I really like this combo a lot. I intended to try the DHR up front but haven't felt the necessity to swap it out just yet so it's just been lying around waiting until i tear a sidewall. I will probably ride this DHF/HR2 combo through the fall and try the DHR2/HR2 combo this spring.

I was pleased with how fast and well the Rekon rolled, but it didn't provide me enough braking traction on really steep and loose tails - think Big Sky, MT. Additionally, after puncturing it, swapping it, and really examining the tire off the wheel, I was surprised to see how quickly it wore down. I will also felt that the DHF and HR2 have stiffer sidewalls than the Rekon. Any surf and wallow that I had felt railing turns and berms with the Rekon have disappeared with the DHFs and HR2s.

Posted: Oct 18, 2017 at 12:18 Quote
How much you weighing in at to be using 21 psi in rear 2.8”?

Posted: Oct 18, 2017 at 12:51 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:

I run about 21 psi in my 2.8 Rekon in the back and weigh roughly 185 lbs (83.9 kg) with gear on.

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 18, 2017 at 12:52 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:

plus or minus 175 lbs

all mountain/enduro/lift accessed riding in the Rocky Mountains on a 160/160 bike with 35i rims

Posted: Oct 18, 2017 at 12:57 Quote
I only ask as there are other factors I’m looking at in this whole psi debate like volume.

I find I’m running 18 f and 20 r fine for rough stuff in NNs 2.8” and let’s just say I’m substantially heavier.

I wasn’t getting any squirming on mine set at my pressures and yes other factors such as where its getting ridden sure...

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 18, 2017 at 13:03 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
I only ask as there are other factors I’m looking at in this whole psi debate like volume.

I find I’m running 18 f and 20 r fine for rough stuff in NNs 2.8” and let’s just say I’m substantially heavier.

I wasn’t getting any squirming on mine set at my pressures and yes other factors such as where its getting ridden sure...

I have *heard* schwalbe have substantially more robust sidewalls than the maxxis plus tires. Maybe so, maybe not.... But it would make sense that you could run them at a lower psi on rough terrain.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010933
Mobile Version of Website