Test riding T-130 S

PB Forum :: Whyte Bikes
Test riding T-130 S
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 2, 2017 at 1:57 Quote
I had some very nice impressions after initial 1 hour testing ride. So nice that I started to consider seeling my 150/160 enduro and change it for Whyte T-130. It felt so energetic and it amazed me with how agressive and fast I could be in profiled turns. 2 weeks later I got a chance to test it for two days, so I took it to my favourite trails.
Now I have some mixed feelings. Still the bike looks really great and seems it is built very solid. I really love such orange look and feel!
While climbing less technical trails it goes easily and effectively (with blocked suspension) – here it shines in comparison to my 150/160mm but relatively short enduro machine. I had a feeling that I could climb faster and survive even long climbs without fatigue. On rough terrain with tight turns thru some boulders and with steeper sections I felt less comfortable. Few times I hit the stones with the cranks and after that I felt bit unsteadily. Also it was harder for me to smoothly pass switchbacks with some stones or roots. That could be because of quite low cadence with 30 teeth chainring. I am used to 28t. Anyway I climbed all my very well-known sections without stopping.
On slower descends the bike was giving me lots of confidence with its long geo. I could pass quite high drops and stones or steeper rough sections without anxiety or any “OTB dangers”. I would say it salvages the rider from lots of mistakes and it kind of masks lack of skill. On faster sections with some rolls, profiled but bumpy turns and fast jumps it felt too nervous for me. I couldn’t feel secure and landings were a bit nervous. I had to use my brakes quite a lot more than usual and also I felt more fatigued both with my legs and arms. This was mainly on the second day when I was generally a bit tired. Nevertheless I wouldn’t like my bike to give me such uncomfortable feedback I think. It improved a bit after I set the suspension to be softer with less pressure – to about 30% of sag.
I am not able to judge how much Yari is worse than my Pike (or Debonair than DBInline) but I am afraid that I got used to 160mm in front so much that riding with less suspension travel could be not for me. I will look for another opportunity to try maybe RS version with Fox Float or C RS with Pike.

Posted: Jun 5, 2017 at 11:26 Quote
mzachacz wrote:
I had some very nice impressions after initial 1 hour testing ride. So nice that I started to consider seeling my 150/160 enduro and change it for Whyte T-130. It felt so energetic and it amazed me with how agressive and fast I could be in profiled turns. 2 weeks later I got a chance to test it for two days, so I took it to my favourite trails.
Now I have some mixed feelings. Still the bike looks really great and seems it is built very solid. I really love such orange look and feel!
While climbing less technical trails it goes easily and effectively (with blocked suspension) – here it shines in comparison to my 150/160mm but relatively short enduro machine. I had a feeling that I could climb faster and survive even long climbs without fatigue. On rough terrain with tight turns thru some boulders and with steeper sections I felt less comfortable. Few times I hit the stones with the cranks and after that I felt bit unsteadily. Also it was harder for me to smoothly pass switchbacks with some stones or roots. That could be because of quite low cadence with 30 teeth chainring. I am used to 28t. Anyway I climbed all my very well-known sections without stopping.
On slower descends the bike was giving me lots of confidence with its long geo. I could pass quite high drops and stones or steeper rough sections without anxiety or any “OTB dangers”. I would say it salvages the rider from lots of mistakes and it kind of masks lack of skill. On faster sections with some rolls, profiled but bumpy turns and fast jumps it felt too nervous for me. I couldn’t feel secure and landings were a bit nervous. I had to use my brakes quite a lot more than usual and also I felt more fatigued both with my legs and arms. This was mainly on the second day when I was generally a bit tired. Nevertheless I wouldn’t like my bike to give me such uncomfortable feedback I think. It improved a bit after I set the suspension to be softer with less pressure – to about 30% of sag.
I am not able to judge how much Yari is worse than my Pike (or Debonair than DBInline) but I am afraid that I got used to 160mm in front so much that riding with less suspension travel could be not for me. I will look for another opportunity to try maybe RS version with Fox Float or C RS with Pike.

How much time did you spend on the bike at 30% sag?
I wouldn't ride this bike at 25% sag in the rear.

I felt a world of difference from 25 to 30 percent. Also I have 4 volume reducers in the Yari at 25% sag with my weight forward on the bars.

I'm afraid long and slack bikes are always going to struggle on tight switchbacks and low BB's will always compromise pedal clearance for stability in turns. Also I think the head angle is a little slacker than they publish.

I can't imagine climbing up slow switch backs in the biggest cog so I'm not sure I understand the problem with 30 vs 28 chainring.

Edit: I also have all of the spacers under the stem to raise the bar height as much as possible. I might even get some bars with more rise.

The grips are terrible by the way.

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 14:34 Quote
Hiya I brought the whyte g160rs and I love it I tried the 130rs but just wanted the extra travel 3 months in and I am 100% happy with my choice

Posted: Oct 14, 2017 at 9:07 Quote
In the UK a number of riders up the fork travel to 140mm, makes a big difference with pedal strikes and no difference with climbing.

Posted: Feb 7, 2018 at 12:27 Quote
abrooks wrote:
In the UK a number of riders up the fork travel to 140mm, makes a big difference with pedal strikes and no difference with climbing.

I didn’t know this could be done. I have a t130 CRS and love it, can’t fault it in any way, but have this nagging feeling I should have got a longer travel bike like all my friends.
(Having said that, I’m faster than them downhill anyway!)

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 at 2:31 Quote
abrooks wrote:

I have raised my T130's Yari to 140mm, £35 for a travel rod and fitted myself easily enough.

I cant tell any difference when climbing, the extra bit of travel is nice on the downhills though ( although i have come from 180mm freeride bike so 130mm travel was a shock to me!)

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008343
Mobile Version of Website