TOP DH rims options ??

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
TOP DH rims options ??
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 2, 2017 at 8:03 Quote
i just finished up building my new DH bike. and have decided to run the Spank spike 33 race rim.

i ran spank spike 28 race on my previous bike. and did not have much problems. only a few dings. no serious damage. and lasted me a full season. so i figured i would stay with Spank.

i went out to a local track. and on day one i dented the rear pretty bad. one side of the rim has a good flat spot. but only on the left side. the right is fine. i still got it to true. so i can still ride it. but im not going to lie. it is a soft rim.

looking at maybe other options to try out. i noticed that DT Swiss EX471 or FR570 are the top pick from DT. how ever i hear and read that they are too soft. some say not much better then Spank. not to mention the FR is 90grams more each rim.

a local shop is recommending i try the Stan Flow mk3. "aka the new EX flow replacement" but i see that these are mainly used in Enduro. and dont see alot of DH guys using them. it maybe because they are a newer rim??

what is your opinion between these? maybe a another good alternative? or should i just stay with Spank??
-DT Swiss ex471
-DT Swiss fr570
-Stans FLOW MK3
-Spank Spike 33RACE

what im really looking for out of a rim. would like to stay reasonably light. and stronger, not as soft.
prefer wider like 32-34 outer width. pretty much the best of all worlds rim??

Posted: Jun 3, 2017 at 0:46 Quote
The Flow MK3 is definitely NOT a DH rim. Some (not a lot) DH pro riders use them, but you'll have to bear in mind they go through wheels like butter (and not only them, most of them, even those riding carbon rims). And some reports even say they're not as strong as the Flow EX they replace. Lighter and wider than the previous ones, that would be expected. I would still pick these for AM/Enduro riding I guess.

The 471 again is not DH rated, but has proven to be pretty tough (although not as wide as you'd like). The 570, when you can get it, as availability was very scarse when I wanted a set last year, is tougher, but as you mentionned heavier.

Now the Spike33 would probably be the rim I would recommend, with the FR570. I've ran Spike35 for almost 3 years now (in 26 and now 650b) and even if I had a few dings including 2 big ones on the 26" ones, they always remained true and held tubeless just fine. Keep in mind that a rim with an extra stiff alloy would be stronger on most impacts, but will break when it just gets too hard. Where as a softer rim would ding, and may let you ride the rest of the season with it.

(and another thing to consider, you may have gotten faster over time, and a rim that would have survived you a year ago, may not hold as well now Smile )

Posted: Jun 7, 2017 at 15:59 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
The Flow MK3 is definitely NOT a DH rim. Some (not a lot) DH pro riders use them, but you'll have to bear in mind they go through wheels like butter (and not only them, most of them, even those riding carbon rims). And some reports even say they're not as strong as the Flow EX they replace. Lighter and wider than the previous ones, that would be expected. I would still pick these for AM/Enduro riding I guess.

The 471 again is not DH rated, but has proven to be pretty tough (although not as wide as you'd like). The 570, when you can get it, as availability was very scarse when I wanted a set last year, is tougher, but as you mentionned heavier.

Now the Spike33 would probably be the rim I would recommend, with the FR570. I've ran Spike35 for almost 3 years now (in 26 and now 650b) and even if I had a few dings including 2 big ones on the 26" ones, they always remained true and held tubeless just fine. Keep in mind that a rim with an extra stiff alloy would be stronger on most impacts, but will break when it just gets too hard. Where as a softer rim would ding, and may let you ride the rest of the season with it.

(and another thing to consider, you may have gotten faster over time, and a rim that would have survived you a year ago, may not hold as well now Smile )

thank you. this pretty much answers my question and confirms everything else i have heard from everyone i have asked so far.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012302
Mobile Version of Website