2008 Meta 55 flexin'

PB Forum :: Commencal
2008 Meta 55 flexin'
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 2, 2017 at 21:50 Quote
Howdy folks,
I got this bike used and have been slowly upgrading it (well, making it functional), and this has been one of the many problems I have run into.
Lateral flex: I can never adjust the rear brake calipers enough to where it does not rub the disk while coasting and pedaling. Yes I might need new pads and a bleed, but just holding the bike still and moving the wheel side to side, the disk will hit either sides brake pads. Yes it is a QR rear end. Apparently in 2008 they were all the rage, but I'm guessing it didn't flex enough to cause brake rub.
I'm rambling now.
I really don't want to give up on this bike (even though it's kinda a pos atm), but this is giving me too much of a headache.
I did find that it came new in the box with a rear thru axle and matching dropouts, but I am not the first owner and the only places that have been mentioned to buy them are several years out of existence.

Do I continue my struggle?

I can also upload a video of the flex if requested.

Thanks,
W

Posted: Jun 3, 2017 at 1:20 Quote
Check the hub to make sure that it doesn't have play in it... If the hub has adjustable cones, make sure they are tight... then clean and grease your QR axle. Put it all back together, making certain that the hub is seated fully into the dropouts, and close the QR, make it tight.

Its not a problem with your pads or your brakes. Yes, the through axle set up would be stiffer, but you are right, you shouldn't be experiencing this level of flex, with that little force.

The Through axles are easy to find ( I actually have one from a similar gen commencal) but you are right, the drop outs are a nightmare to source.

Posted: Jun 3, 2017 at 22:54 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
Check the hub to make sure that it doesn't have play in it... If the hub has adjustable cones, make sure they are tight... then clean and grease your QR axle. Put it all back together, making certain that the hub is seated fully into the dropouts, and close the QR, make it tight.

Its not a problem with your pads or your brakes. Yes, the through axle set up would be stiffer, but you are right, you shouldn't be experiencing this level of flex, with that little force.

The Through axles are easy to find ( I actually have one from a similar gen commencal) but you are right, the drop outs are a nightmare to source.

Thanks for the reply.
I have one of those awful shimano hubs with the terrible engagement points and the loose bearings... Hub needs to be serviced anyway; by hand the axle barely rotates.
Upon further inspection by removing the QR axle, the dropouts have to compress around 6mm to come into contact with the hub surface - so i'm guessing I need to adjust the hub somehow (or just get it serviced) or something is funky with the dropouts...
Coincidentally my friend is trying to sell me a 2013 giant trance frame with fork and shock. Tempting.

Posted: Jun 3, 2017 at 23:23 Quote
Samoset wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:

Thanks for the reply.
I have one of those awful shimano hubs with the terrible engagement points and the loose bearings... Hub needs to be serviced anyway; by hand the axle barely rotates.
Upon further inspection by removing the QR axle, the dropouts have to compress around 6mm to come into contact with the hub surface - so i'm guessing I need to adjust the hub somehow (or just get it serviced) or something is funky with the dropouts...
Coincidentally my friend is trying to sell me a 2013 giant trance frame with fork and shock. Tempting.

as far as used bikes go, I am big fan of the trance.

But, it sounds like a simple hub service maybe all you need. find a friend with a pair of cone wrenches.. alternatively, it should be a simple/cheap fix for the LBS.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.067201
Mobile Version of Website