Sram Type 3 Clutch?

PB Forum :: SRAM
Sram Type 3 Clutch?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 11, 2017 at 19:19 Quote
I've recently noticed that Sram now has a type 3 clutch on their 11, 12 speed derailleurs. Does anybody know what differences there are from the type 2.1 clutch compared to the type 3?

Posted: Jul 12, 2017 at 2:51 Quote
Hey dude. Did you fond out anything? Im curious as well..

Posted: Jul 12, 2017 at 11:36 Quote
Nope! Maybe nobody knows? Perhaps there's no difference.

Posted: Aug 24, 2017 at 9:54 Quote
Should be some differences, as said by SRAM: "Our new, Type-3 ROLLER BEARING CLUTCH™ features a smoother torque curve for a quieter, more consistent operation and feel". I've searched for images and videos of disassembly or maintenance but I found nothing....maybe is too soon for that. Did you guys found out something new?

Posted: Aug 24, 2017 at 14:04 Quote
All I know is that mine doesn´t have any clutch effect and there is no way of adjusting it, very nice Madder

Posted: Aug 24, 2017 at 20:02 Quote
auzb wrote:
All I know is that mine doesn´t have any clutch effect and there is no way of adjusting it, very nice Madder
I kinda have the same complaint. I bought a brand new GX 10 speed short cage derailleur that has a type 2.1 clutch and it has about the same amount of chain control over my old x7 short cage, which didn't have a clutch.

Posted: Sep 1, 2017 at 23:57 Quote
I give you two tricks for you guys, so read carefully:

Trick nr.1: put your sram shifter+mech on ebay, sell it and buy equivalent speed shimano XT or above. Smile if that doesnt work, keep reading.

Trick nr.2: remove the small round cover from your 2.1 clutch with a sharp thin object. Locate on the side of the clutch body the end of the small pin which doesnt let you to tighten or loosen the clutch (shimano raised legal complain against sram, they had to make thems clutchs unadjustable, as shimano came up first with the ideea). Get your matching (T25 I think) torx key, and try to wigle gently the clutch, try to pull on that small pin until you manage to get it out, try to grab it with precision pliers, or very strong magnet.
Once you have that pin out, there you go, you can adjust your clutch. If you try to adjust it with that pin still in, you will damage the threads and the body.
Another tip, as the clutch will get loose pretty quickly, I would try to unwide that bolt as far as I can, and drip some loctite on the threads and then tighten it up.

I never tried this as I use Shimano system, didnt convert to Sram. Some people tried it, the second part with locktite is because they have been complaining about loose clutch pretty soon after tightening. I did hold 2.1 clutch mech in my hand, and I found the pin, its there.
Apparently its the same cluch as before, but they had to put this pin in for legal purposes.

Anyway, search on google, there is loads of post about this, research before commencing.

Posted: Sep 2, 2017 at 9:21 Quote
I may have to give that a try. After one of you guys successfully does it that is...:P

Posted: Mar 31, 2018 at 15:23 Quote
Type 3 doesn't have any ajdustment

Posted: Aug 8, 2018 at 1:59 Quote
An update on this if anyone is interested. My GX 11 speed with the 2.1 clutch is knackered, and came across the type 3 online (actually cheaper than 2.1 variant). I spoke to the distributor this morning for clarification. The type 3 clutch is still none adjustable. This is because of a patent issue with Shimano. SRAM are not aloud to have adjustable clutches anymore. The type 3 does have some minor improvements elsewhere, hence the new model number.

Posted: Aug 8, 2018 at 2:50 Quote
SebaTN wrote:
Should be some differences, as said by SRAM: "Our new, Type-3 ROLLER BEARING CLUTCH™ features a smoother torque curve for a quieter, more consistent operation and feel". I've searched for images and videos of disassembly or maintenance but I found nothing....maybe is too soon for that. Did you guys found out something new?

Wouldn't recommend to disassemble Type 2.1/3 RD. It's like a Pandora box.

type 3 has better spring retention consistency and durability than 2.1. Since clutch is a Shimano patent, SRAM has to find a way for the spring to clutch on a consistent manner without the need to adjust the tension.
You can notice the difference 2.1 / 3 / Shimano Clutch stickiness overtime.

Posted: Aug 9, 2018 at 0:39 Quote
About 6 months and the clutch effect are non existent. Just noticed this pressrelease about Sunrace new resr deraliures with ''stabilizer '' system.
https://www.ridewill.it/en/news-and-promotions/revolution-comes-sunrace-12v-group/501/
Sounds good to me, but nothing about if it's adjustable, cervicable or replaceable?
Tempted to try one on my Tantrumcycles but need to know more before taking the plunge

Posted: Dec 31, 2018 at 9:15 Quote
I get a massive amount of chain slap with the NEW GX EAGLE 12 speed (Type 3 non-existent clutch) compared to the XX1 11-speed (Type 2 adjustable clutch).

Clearly this is a problem now with EAGLE now that they can't use Shimano's patented clutch system. .

Be warned on massive chain noise on EAGLE. SRAM is trying to sell the Type 3 roller clutch as an improvement, but it sucks so bad. I'm pissed no one reviewing EAGLE has pointed this out. What a POS!

Can't wait for NEW Shimano 12 speed to come out once they deliver..

Posted: Dec 31, 2018 at 16:36 Quote
will-burr wrote:
I get a massive amount of chain slap with the NEW GX EAGLE 12 speed (Type 3 non-existent clutch) compared to the XX1 11-speed (Type 2 adjustable clutch).

Clearly this is a problem now with EAGLE now that they can't use Shimano's patented clutch system. .

Be warned on massive chain noise on EAGLE. SRAM is trying to sell the Type 3 roller clutch as an improvement, but it sucks so bad. I'm pissed no one reviewing EAGLE has pointed this out. What a POS!

Can't wait for NEW Shimano 12 speed to come out once they deliver..
Interesting, this is probably the first bad thing that I've heard about the Eagle clutch. Have you tried removing the plastic T25 clutch cover then using 2, 3mm allen keys to check if the clutch is still tight?

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 19:40 Quote
I also have a very near new XO rear mech that was initially delightfully quiet but after only a few rides has developed noisy chainslap.
Searched all I can for overhauls/tear downs/parts diagrams etc with no luck.
I can remove the dust cap with T25 then there's a 4mm hex that seems tight..I tightened it maybe 1/10th of a turn with no obvious effect. Doesn't seem to be any other bolts or anything for adjustment. I dare not disassemble my new XO rear mech for fear of not being able to put it back together. Perhaps someone has a busted one out there that can take it apart and report back for us?

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015100
Mobile Version of Website