Sram Type 3 Clutch?

PB Forum :: SRAM
Sram Type 3 Clutch?
Author Message
Posted: Aug 5, 2019 at 4:52 Quote
I've disassembled whole clutch and there is no chance to adjust the clutch. But... you can easly replace sram derailleur with new SHIMANO SLX/XT/XTR. I've put a XTR to my trek remedy 8, and it works perfectly with sram eagle's cassette, chain, shifter etc. Shimano's clutch works great, and you can easly adjust it.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 15:57 Quote
I’ve had the T25 cover off mine tonight and if you turn the 4mm hex counter clockwise the clutch definitely has a reduced effect. And when it’s turned clockwise eventually it stops dropping out of the largest gear. Has anyone else found that?

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 at 8:48 Quote
JackJ100 wrote:
I’ve had the T25 cover off mine tonight and if you turn the 4mm hex counter clockwise the clutch definitely has a reduced effect. And when it’s turned clockwise eventually it stops dropping out of the largest gear. Has anyone else found that?
No, definitely not.

Behind the T25 cover the 4mm hex does nothing. If you pull off the cage on the other end of this axle, there is a pressed in shim over the roller clutch, and you can turn the axle with that 4mm hex without any effect.
No way to remove more parts...ok, with a drill make a small hole in the shim to extract it..?
The T25 plastic cover could work like a friction damper, if the plastic wasnt that soft.

Shimano wins on this.

Posted: Aug 31, 2019 at 11:58 Quote
It definitely made a difference. How, I’m
Not sure. I haven’t had it to bits further.

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 at 13:10 Quote
Hi all,

Is there any known fix for reduced clutch effect in the GX derailleur?

I kept dropping the chain on big hits when riding at the weekend and I can only assume the clutch is going.

Annoying as the derailleur is less than a month old.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 16:41 Quote
GX rear mechs are basically overpriced POS.
The tiniest hit will root your shifting. Ive tweeked mine after a stick penetrated my lower jockey wheel & cage. The derailleur body is twisted not the hanger so shifts get progressively more whack as it finds its way inwards...I can get it onto the 11th gear (46 tooth shimano XT cassette) but need to hold the downshift trigger & listen for the grinding shift. I'll run it until this piece of crap explodes...probably before XMAS then go buy myself some Shimano. Do yourself a favour & switch ideally to an XT rear mech & XTR shifter. SRAM really is a dissapointment.

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 3:20 Quote
Please dont try and adjust your type 3 clutch as it is not possible. I accidentally popped out the clutch spring when taking off the jockey cage to clean and it broke the clutch. Think this is pre tensioned by sram. Put it all back together and would not tension the chain. Was saggier than my grannies tits

Posted: May 24, 2020 at 1:24 Quote
SMWOZZA wrote:
Please dont try and adjust your type 3 clutch as it is not possible. I accidentally popped out the clutch spring when taking off the jockey cage to clean and it broke the clutch. Think this is pre tensioned by sram. Put it all back together and would not tension the chain. Was saggier than my grannies tits

you put it back together wrong. take off the stopper on the cage its unscrewable, put the cage on and spin it until its tensioned then screw the stopper in...while holding it together.

but yea these "clutches" are hot garbage. no different than old school mechs... i dont know who to be mad at, shimano for locking down the design, or sram for bullshitting the costumers into thinking their derailleur has a clutch.

the stopper is on the cage right under the torx "clutch" cap in the pic
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FSRAM-Eagle-12-Speed-Rear-Derailleur%2Fdp%2FB07J3TWFWF&psig=AOvVaw1HiKM0mpq8XJwhW3EB90l0&ust=1590395297993000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCNjp7KeKzOkCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAl

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 1:28 Quote
Bratanvovik wrote:
SMWOZZA wrote:
Please dont try and adjust your type 3 clutch as it is not possible. I accidentally popped out the clutch spring when taking off the jockey cage to clean and it broke the clutch. Think this is pre tensioned by sram. Put it all back together and would not tension the chain. Was saggier than my grannies tits

you put it back together wrong. take off the stopper on the cage its unscrewable, put the cage on and spin it until its tensioned then screw the stopper in...while holding it together.

but yea these "clutches" are hot garbage. no different than old school mechs... i dont know who to be mad at, shimano for locking down the design, or sram for bullshitting the costumers into thinking their derailleur has a clutch.

the stopper is on the cage right under the torx "clutch" cap in the pic
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FSRAM-Eagle-12-Speed-Rear-Derailleur%2Fdp%2FB07J3TWFWF&psig=AOvVaw1HiKM0mpq8XJwhW3EB90l0&ust=1590395297993000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCNjp7KeKzOkCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAl

you are literally the only person i found on the whole internet who, assumably, can put this piece of ... work together.

yesterday i did pretty much what the guy above did and "accidentaly" popped the cage off and now i have no idea how to make a tension on it back again, i couldnt make it out by your instructions.
do you assemble it together and then turn the "clutch" with allen key which you can access from the front, under the dust cap? or do you turn the whole back cover plate with the spring in and then screw it together from the back?

i am about the throw that piece of garbage in the bin but i would prefer not to since it costs as much as my liver.
keen on trying XT with the rest of sram setup, but still...

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 2:48 Quote
Bratanvovik wrote:
SMWOZZA wrote:
Please dont try and adjust your type 3 clutch as it is not possible. I accidentally popped out the clutch spring when taking off the jockey cage to clean and it broke the clutch. Think this is pre tensioned by sram. Put it all back together and would not tension the chain. Was saggier than my grannies tits

you put it back together wrong. take off the stopper on the cage its unscrewable, put the cage on and spin it until its tensioned then screw the stopper in...while holding it together.

but yea these "clutches" are hot garbage. no different than old school mechs... i dont know who to be mad at, shimano for locking down the design, or sram for bullshitting the costumers into thinking their derailleur has a clutch.

the stopper is on the cage right under the torx "clutch" cap in the pic
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FSRAM-Eagle-12-Speed-Rear-Derailleur%2Fdp%2FB07J3TWFWF&psig=AOvVaw1HiKM0mpq8XJwhW3EB90l0&ust=1590395297993000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCNjp7KeKzOkCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAl




Tried this aswell took the torx screw off the cage turned it about 180 degrees clockwise and put the screw back in. Thought I had fixed it but the tension was way to high! Nearly ripped my chain off when I changed gear. In the end I got fed up of trying to adjust it to get it perfect and wanted to ride. Just bought a replacement, mech works well aslong as you dont touch it! I've still got the old one I'll try sort it when I've got the patience haha

Posted: Sep 11, 2020 at 23:24 Quote
Installed sram AXS xx1 on my XTR 9100 grouppo. Don't ask why lol.
The clutch totally sucks, super noisy, non adjustable, wicked amounts of chainslap. I've tried everything on my Megatower. Trust me I'm crazy with sound deadening; extra padding, pulley lower guide (no sprocket slap) extra padding on seatstay, STFU silencer.... Nope.
Took a slo-mo video and saw the insane chain slap just on flat ground.
Santa Cruz VPP chain growth combined with poopy sram type 3 clutch... Ugg so annoying

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 19:57 Quote
collintimmermans wrote:
Installed sram AXS xx1 on my XTR 9100 grouppo. Don't ask why lol.
The clutch totally sucks, super noisy, non adjustable, wicked amounts of chainslap. I've tried everything on my Megatower. Trust me I'm crazy with sound deadening; extra padding, pulley lower guide (no sprocket slap) extra padding on seatstay, STFU silencer.... Nope.
Took a slo-mo video and saw the insane chain slap just on flat ground.
Santa Cruz VPP chain growth combined with poopy sram type 3 clutch... Ugg so annoying

same issue! sram gx mech with srams chainring, recently overhauled the clutch (type 3) to no avail.
this is a good video, and it is the same on all 12speed mechs. anyone got any ideas? i think it might just be the spring. i gave it one turn of preload, don't know what else to do...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnU7vGzUNlY&t=318s

Posted: Oct 29, 2020 at 3:54 Quote
Has anybody tried a rd-m 7100 slx derailleur on a 10-52 cassette? Theoretically it is one tooth short in range.
I have a new gx 520 at home, but without clutch adjustment it is kinda useless and I could still switch to shimano...

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 6:44 Quote
SMWOZZA wrote:
Bratanvovik wrote:
SMWOZZA wrote:
Please dont try and adjust your type 3 clutch as it is not possible. I accidentally popped out the clutch spring when taking off the jockey cage to clean and it broke the clutch. Think this is pre tensioned by sram. Put it all back together and would not tension the chain. Was saggier than my grannies tits

you put it back together wrong. take off the stopper on the cage its unscrewable, put the cage on and spin it until its tensioned then screw the stopper in...while holding it together.

but yea these "clutches" are hot garbage. no different than old school mechs... i dont know who to be mad at, shimano for locking down the design, or sram for bullshitting the costumers into thinking their derailleur has a clutch.

the stopper is on the cage right under the torx "clutch" cap in the pic
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FSRAM-Eagle-12-Speed-Rear-Derailleur%2Fdp%2FB07J3TWFWF&psig=AOvVaw1HiKM0mpq8XJwhW3EB90l0&ust=1590395297993000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCNjp7KeKzOkCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAl




Tried this aswell took the torx screw off the cage turned it about 180 degrees clockwise and put the screw back in. Thought I had fixed it but the tension was way to high! Nearly ripped my chain off when I changed gear. In the end I got fed up of trying to adjust it to get it perfect and wanted to ride. Just bought a replacement, mech works well aslong as you dont touch it! I've still got the old one I'll try sort it when I've got the patience haha


Hi guys!
I had to change the back of my Sram Gx eagle rear derailleur arm and when I took the arm of the cage, everything became loose.

Hopefully, your tip helped on this quest of putting the arm back to the body of my GX mech.

It's very simple, actually.

1° - unscrew the stopper bolt on the arm with a Allen 3 key.

2° - Screw the arm back to the cage.

3° - Turn the arm one full turn (360°) so the cluch will be tensioned. Them lock the arm with the standard arm locker, screw the stopper bolt back and it's done.


Took me a while to figure out, but everything is running smoothly now.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006244
Mobile Version of Website