What factors make a 29er bike so confidence inspiring?

PB Forum :: 29ers
What factors make a 29er bike so confidence inspiring?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 3:47 Quote
Morning all,

My new bike dilemma continues!!

Bit of history first, I ride a Lapierre Zesty 650b, brilliant machine, but it never quite gave me the confidence and speed boost I was after, despite fitting shorter stem, wider bars and long fork to help slacken the head angle a little.

Over the last weeks, I’ve had the pleasure of trying a mates Nukeproof Mega 29er, wow, what a blast!! I was instantly riding everything significantly quicker, except the climbs perhaps, it does fell a little sluggish, which brings me onto my question…. Is the instant speed gains on the downs just coming from the fact it’s a 29er vs 650b, slacker headangle (66 vs 66.7) or longer wheelbase? What's most important here?

As I mentioned, I found the Mega 290 a little sluggish which got me looking at the YT Jeffsy, which as you knows gets awesome reviews and considerably lighter, but isn’t as slack, 10mm less travel (although I’d fit a 150mm Pike fork) and has a much shorter wheelbase then the Nukeproof (1197mm vs 1154 in medium). I really wouldn’t want to lose how competent and inspiring the Nukeproof was on the way down…. But maybe it’s all in the wheels anyway? If only I could try one…

Suspect the 2018 Jeffsy will be the perfect bike… maybe 150mm travel, slacker and long wheelbase, perhaps I should wait..

Posted: Jun 13, 2017 at 15:22 Quote
I too have my eyes on a jeffsy or Primer Intense.

I shall be watching your progress of choice on this one

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 4:20 Quote
scz4 wrote:
Morning all,

Bit of history first, I ride a Lapierre Zesty 650b, brilliant machine, but it never quite gave me the confidence and speed boost I was after, despite fitting shorter stem, wider bars and long fork to help slacken the head angle a little.

Over the last weeks, I’ve had the pleasure of trying a mates Nukeproof Mega 29er, wow, what a blast!! I was instantly riding everything significantly quicker, except the climbs perhaps, it does fell a little sluggish, which brings me onto my question…. Is the instant speed gains on the downs just coming from the fact it’s a 29er vs 650b, slacker headangle (66 vs 66.7) or longer wheelbase? What's most important here?

As I mentioned, I found the Mega 290 a little sluggish which got me looking at the YT Jeffsy, which as you knows gets awesome reviews and considerably lighter, but isn’t as slack, 10mm less travel (although I’d fit a 150mm Pike fork) and has a much shorter wheelbase then the Nukeproof (1197mm vs 1154 in medium). I really wouldn’t want to lose how competent and inspiring the Nukeproof was on the way down…. But maybe it’s all in the wheels anyway? If only I could try one…

Suspect the 2018 Jeffsy will be the perfect bike… maybe 150mm travel, slacker and long wheelbase, perhaps I should wait..

I'd shoot YT an email to ask them if they'll be changing anything for the new model year. I believe they have said in the past they wont release new model years unless there is a material change in the bike.

They aren't like Trek, Specialized, etc who release a new model every year whether they've actually improved anything or not....

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 4:52 Quote
Your comparing apples and oranges - these bikes are quite different

Maybe decide what you want it for then choose

Zesty - S/T trail bike
Jeffsy - M/T Trail/All mountain - this is probably the best all rounder and the YT suspension is great IMO
Mega 290 - L/T AM/Enduro - this bike is a monster and is arguably overkill for a lot of stuff. No wonder you liked it...you can run it with confidence on DH tracks its that gnarly. Some guys run them with lighter set-ups which makes them quicker. Shock set-up important for climbing.

Posted: Jun 21, 2017 at 1:36 Quote
Travel66 wrote:

Zesty - S/T trail bike
Jeffsy - M/T Trail/All mountain - this is probably the best all rounder and the YT suspension is great IMO
Mega 290 - L/T AM/Enduro - this bike is a monster and is arguably overkill for a lot of stuff. No wonder you liked it...you can run it with confidence on DH tracks its that gnarly. Some guys run them with lighter set-ups which makes them quicker. Shock set-up important for climbing.

Thanks for your input, although the Zesty is definitely medium travel, 150mm rear and 160mm front (150mm originally), so more than the YT, same head angle too

All that said, I went for the YT Jeffsy Smile Found a bargain on their outlet store, so ordered up a nice blue CF Comp 2. Got some nice Stans Arch wheels on order too, plus a few other components. Can't wait.

Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 1:51 Quote
scz4 wrote:
Travel66 wrote:

Zesty - S/T trail bike

Thanks for your input, although the Zesty is definitely medium travel, 150mm rear and 160mm front (150mm originally), so more than the YT, same head angle too

All that said, I went for the YT Jeffsy Smile Found a bargain on their outlet store, so ordered up a nice blue CF Comp 2. Got some nice Stans Arch wheels on order too, plus a few other components. Can't wait.

Cool your sorted....Zesty has 2 versions one S/T and another M/T.
From the various bikes I have tried so far I would say that 29ers feel like they have more travel than the equivalent 650B. 140 on a Jeffsy with YT type suspension will feel pretty gnarly!

Posted: Jul 8, 2017 at 13:36 Quote
Will1848 wrote:
scz4 wrote:
Morning all,

I'd shoot YT an email to ask them if they'll be changing anything for the new model year. I believe they have said in the past they wont release new model years unless there is a material change in the bike.

They aren't like Trek, Specialized, etc who release a new model every year whether they've actually improved anything or not....

I have raised some question for YT, here is My qustions and their reply.

I'm curios if you soon will release Jeffsey and/or Capra wit boost in both end and with the new metric standard for the suspension?
If so my next bike will most likely be an YT!

Br Fredrik

Hello Fredrik,

Thank you for your mail.

Unfortunately, I don't have any informations about our 2018 model range yet.

Thank you for your understanding.
Falls du noch weitere Fragen hast, dann zögere bitte nicht, uns erneut zu kontaktieren.
If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate, to contact us again.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
best regards,

Christoph P.

Posted: Aug 4, 2017 at 10:37 Quote
I mostly agree with everything said above, the Nukeproof Mega 290 is basically DH sled, but its more than happy to be pedaled all day. I regularly do rides with 1000' of climbing on it and I wouldn't want to exchange any of the DH prowess for uphill efficiency, every bit of up is worth it on the down.

I think i have a good compromise of parts on mine that put it just a touch under 30 pounds, it tractors up the grade really well when you can sit and spin, the suspension maintains good traction and comfort and as long as i can keep the pedals turning she'll keep on going. With short technical climbs, if you can maintain some velocity its a really great bike for just bashing upwards and over anything in its path. Out in Sedona, friends referred to it as a "cheater bike". with the short punchy, but super technical climbs, as long as I could get some pedals strokes in and keep some forward velocity, she just popped out on top.

Climbing wise, the bikes downfall is low-speed tech climbing where its just too long, too squishy and then sort of out of its element. This is fine by me, low speed tech climbing is not a good way to make rapid uphill progress anyways, so jump off, get through and hop on again in a spot where I can get on the pedals and get the bike up to speed where its happy again.

its a kick ass ride, but its a bike that wants to go fast. up or down, plowing over whatever is in its path.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009321
Mobile Version of Website