"Sensitive" trails and privacy settings - can we edit route data?

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
"Sensitive" trails and privacy settings - can we edit route data?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 15, 2017 at 5:34 Quote
So I have finally gotten around to tracking some of my rides. I leave from home, ride the road for a minute, then drop into some public trails (city park land) and ride out to trailhead for a rip.

Trailforks is giving me the "sensitive trails detected" warning when I upload my ridelogs.

Now, it would be really nice if I could delete the first and last kilometer of route mapping since that contains data of me leaving my house.

And, it would be nice if Trailforks would show the route as individual segments based on the trails you're on, and allow you to select and hide/delete segments. So if you really are riding a secret trail you can just hide/delete that portion of the route map and now it's safe to share publicly. And, you can at least see what parts Trailforks thinks are Sensitive.

Cheers.

Mod Plus
Posted: Jun 15, 2017 at 23:45 Quote
You can edit a ridelog on the website and crop it.

The trail that was flagging your rides as sensitive was not actually an illegal trail. Just a duplicate trail, someone decided to mark it hidden rather than deleting or unpublished it. Your rides in that area should be fine now.

Posted: Jun 16, 2017 at 6:00 Quote
Thanks! I'm looking through the Edit Ridelog page and I can see how to remove an entire section of known trail. But all I want to do is alter the start and end locations so it's not referencing my front door lol. Is that possible? Or should I just start tracking on Trailforks once I hit the trail head?

Mod Plus
Posted: Jun 16, 2017 at 21:17 Quote
Under the map when you edit your ridelog is a "crop" button.

Which reveals a slider bar where you can crop the start or end of your ride.

I will at some point this year implement a TF privacy zone feature, where it will auto crop your rides around a radius you create around your home.

Posted: Jun 17, 2017 at 7:25 Quote
Oh geez... How did I miss that, I must be blind! Thanks very much for your patience to explain this.

Cheers to all the hard work that goes into Trailforks and its improvements! Beer Beer

Posted: Aug 9, 2017 at 1:22 Quote
canadaka wrote:
I will at some point this year implement a TF privacy zone feature, where it will auto crop your rides around a radius you create around your home.

+1. I would also opt for a possibility of drawing a polygon instead of a circle with predefined radius. In Strava I draw multiple circles to avoid my tracks ending concentrically around my home/work/hotel etc. (yes I know I'm a freak!).

Secondly, I would really appreciate all tracks imported from Strava being cropped according to Strava hidden locations. Whilst having huge respect to the trailforks project, lack of this feature prevents me in most cases from adding Strava activities since I have to crop them manually (or am I missing something?).

My first post here btw, hello to everyone Smile

Posted: Sep 8, 2017 at 14:04 Quote
lazyjerry wrote:
Secondly, I would really appreciate all tracks imported from Strava being cropped according to Strava hidden locations.
I'd like a feature like that too. I just started using Trailforks, and probably won't use it for every ride, but then I don't want to manually crop every ride according to my Strava privacy zones.

There are more privacy isues connected with automatic copying of logs from Strava:
1) on Strava only my followers can see my logs, but when auto-imported to Trailforks, they are just public
2) even if Trailforks profile is private/hidden, the imported rides appear publicly on my Pinkbike profile in the "recent" pane on the left
3) even if a log has map/GPS data made private on Trailforks, it still has a public minimap in the same "recent" pane on Pinkbike profile
4) as already mentioned, the imported rides are not cropped according to Strava privacy zones, even though this guide says they should be (it's about bulk import, but why does auto import have different rules?)

Optimally, I'd like a third privacy setting, between "public" and "private", like Strava has -- only my friends/followers should be able to view my ridelogs.

Posted: Sep 8, 2017 at 16:24 Quote
quezak wrote:
lazyjerry wrote:
Secondly, I would really appreciate all tracks imported from Strava being cropped according to Strava hidden locations.
I'd like a feature like that too. I just started using Trailforks, and probably won't use it for every ride, but then I don't want to manually crop every ride according to my Strava privacy zones.

If you dont want to use it for every ride, why not set it so that it doesnt auto-import. That way you can choose which logs to upload and crop.

Mod Plus
Posted: Sep 8, 2017 at 19:02 Quote
You can set the default for the auto-import to uncheck "public" so each Strava activity imported to Trailforks by default will by "private".

But I will for sure be working on the ridelog privacy settings and a privacy zone this fall.

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 at 1:57 Quote
GavinStorie wrote:
If you dont want to use it for every ride, why not set it so that it doesnt auto-import. That way you can choose which logs to upload and crop.

I meant I won't use the Trailforks app itself for every ride, normally I record with Strava or my bike computer. But I want them all to be imported to Trailforks, without the need to adjust privacy or crop every one separately Smile

canadaka wrote:
But I will for sure be working on the ridelog privacy settings and a privacy zone this fall.

Thanks, great to hear that!

Mod Plus
Posted: 1 hours ago Quote
lazyjerry wrote:
canadaka wrote:

Secondly, I would really appreciate all tracks imported from Strava being cropped according to Strava hidden locations. Whilst having huge respect to the trailforks project, lack of this feature prevents me in most cases from adding Strava activities since I have to crop them manually (or am I missing something?).

So at first Trailforks did not request "view_private" permission and it seems when that is NOT requested then the activities are cropped.

[Quoten]Privacy Zones Stream requests made using a public access_token will be cropped with the user’s privacy zones, regardless if the requesting athlete owns the requested activity. To fetch the complete stream data use an access_token with view_private permissions.[/Quoten]

However Trailforks has been asking for the "view_private" permission as many users want to import their private rides to Trailforks as well, myself included. When a private Strava ride is imported it remains private on Trailforks. However as per the Strava documentation above, the privacy zone cropping is ignored.

So until Trailforks can implement our own privacy zone feature I've given the option when connecting your Strava to Trailforks to uncheck the "view_private" permission. So your rides will then be cropped based on your Strava privacy zones, however your private rides will not be imported.

If this is something you're interested in doing, you will have to goto your Trailforks settings and disconnect Strava then re-connect here: https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/stravaautoimport/

Mod Plus
Posted: 1 hours ago Quote
[Quoten]2) even if Trailforks profile is private/hidden, the imported rides appear publicly on my Pinkbike profile in the "recent" pane on the left
3) even if a log has map/GPS data made private on Trailforks, it still has a public minimap in the same "recent" pane on Pinkbike profile[/Quoten]

If a ridelog is added as "private" then no Pinkbike dashboard event is created. However if the event is first added as public then edited to by private, the PB dashboard even is not removed. I think this what was happening in your situation.

Also #2, your profile setting is not currently effecting the creation of activity/dashboard events for ridelogs. I will change this, so if your profile is private, ridelogs will not generate a dashboard event, even if the ridelog is public.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020166
Mobile Version of Website