2017 Slayer vs 2018 Nomad

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
2017 Slayer vs 2018 Nomad
Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Jun 18, 2017 at 16:21 Quote
Upgrading from my 2015 Rocky Mountain altitude, and trying to decide between these two more downhill aimed bikes.

SLAYER VS NOMAD 4

Any thoughts and opinions would be great!

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 7:25 Quote
I would suggest pick the Slayer because it has a lot more different caracters. It climbs quite well (PinkBike even called: "fun") in the steep setting or could be a mini downhiller in the slack setting and everything in between.
Whereas the Nomad 4 only has the caracters of more playfull or as fast as possible downhill.

Tip: Don't buy a complete Rocky Mountain Slayer, just the frame and X2 shock. Negotiate on price of the frame or on something like the renewed 2018 FOX 36. Will save you lots of money. If you're not a confident mechanic, your local bike shop will build it up for about $100 but probably less. Then it's your choice what brakes, wheels, cockpit, tires, fork, etc. you want.

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 7:33 Quote
I mean, they're both good. Pick which colour you like better.

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 7:56 Quote
Have you seen the Slayer in the flesh? My LBS has one on display, I made a funny noise the first time I laid eyes on it. By far the best looking bike I have ever seen and makes my new Slash look a bit ordinary...

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 10:12 Quote
AOshred wrote:
I would suggest pick the Slayer because it has a lot more different caracters. It climbs quite well (PinkBike even called: "fun") in the steep setting or could be a mini downhiller in the slack setting and everything in between.
Whereas the Nomad 4 only has the caracters of more playfull or as fast as possible downhill.

Tip: Don't buy a complete Rocky Mountain Slayer, just the frame and X2 shock. Negotiate on price of the frame or on something like the renewed 2018 FOX 36. Will save you lots of money. If you're not a confident mechanic, your local bike shop will build it up for about $100 but probably less. Then it's your choice what brakes, wheels, cockpit, tires, fork, etc. you want.
By the way, this last chunk is less-than-great advice, in my opinion. A manufacturer will always do a complete build for a lot cheaper than you could do it for (unless you've got a big chunk of the parts already, unlikely in this day of boost wheels and non-standard fork offsets), a shop will almost never negotiate on a frame they'll almost certainly have to order in and pay freight on (especially at this time of year), and the going shop rate for a complete build at most shops is 200-350 in Canada and the US. Not to mention, FOX' is out of their first run of '18 suspension, so another couple months at least for a 36.

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 14:09 Quote
Thanks for the input so far!

Thinking the slayer would be a good replacement for the altitude as an all mountain bike, but would excel on the downhill and maybe even park stuff.

However, the nomad looks like a fun, mini dh bike.

Hard to choose haha!

Thinking of buying either the 730 slayer or nomad 4 c s, at end of season demo prices, and upgrading them with fox shocks.

Or buying a Rocky frame, fox shocks and putting all my altitude parts on it.

The altitude is unreal, but it leaves me wanting more bike on some more aggressive trails.

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 15:28 Quote
Probably not going to get any special pricing on the Nomad, as they'll keep that colour around through next summer. Both super cool bikes though!

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 15:54 Quote
I spent a day on the Slayer (base model) in Squamish last month and was blown away how well the damn thing climbed. I had it in the slackest setting and it still made it up tech single track well enough and was fine on fire roads. Super fun bike on the descents, very capable but still fun and poppy... I would call it confidence inspiring. I imagine it would climb even better steepened up a bit.

No experience on the new Nomad other than talking to a few guys in the Whistler Bike Park running them that say it's awesome to ride there. I would try one and see how the climbing compares to the Slayer before buying it... gut feeling is the Slayer is a better all arounder!

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 17:30 Quote
I have already found the demo prices, but thinking maybe just getting a new one. I doubt the 2018 slayer will be much different, correct?

@gramboh -- did you do any bike park riding? If not, would it hold up as well as the nomad you think?

I don't do too much park, but am trying to get more into it this summer. The altitude can hold its own, but makes me think a bigger bike would be more fun and forgiving.

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 17:50 Quote
@sash87 -- I keep making that sound (I'm sure it's similar) every time I see it, which is a ton right now since I can't stop reading reviews!

If you were to get the slayer, would you buy a demo 730 sept 1st and upgrade it, or just go for the 790 asap and call it a day? (If you could somehow sell enough stuff to afford it)

Posted: Jun 20, 2017 at 6:07 Quote
twarsh wrote:
@sash87 -- I keep making that sound (I'm sure it's similar) every time I see it, which is a ton right now since I can't stop reading reviews!

If you were to get the slayer, would you buy a demo 730 sept 1st and upgrade it, or just go for the 790 asap and call it a day? (If you could somehow sell enough stuff to afford it)

It's cheaper in the long run to just pay a bit more for the better specced one. Or find a second hand one if you want to keep costs down.

Posted: Jun 20, 2017 at 11:49 Quote
I'm from Utah and I've had my Slayer 730 for a couple weeks now. I love the bike it can really well. It's a fun bike park bike riding it at Deer Valley recently. But where this bike really shines is in the steep, rough, and loose bits. That's my input on the bike so far as I haven't had it very long putting two rides on it so far. This is for sure gonna be my go to bike park bike. I have no experience on the 2018 Nomad but it looks like a sweet ride.

Posted: Jun 21, 2017 at 7:33 Quote
Both the 790 and 770 have a killer spec. Unless you have nicer gear on your altitude, just get one of the completes. If you have bits to keep, just switch them over before you sell your altitude.

Posted: Jun 29, 2017 at 13:22 Quote
The higher builds are really nicely spec'd, especially the 790. I'm settling for the 730, mostly due to the fact that the other models are out of my price range, but even if I could afford them I'd still be switching out most of the components. I'd be changing the stock brakes for Hope v4's on all the builds, stock Race Face and RM cockpit for Chromag/Renthal/Deity, WTB Volt saddle for something sleeker and comfier (I'd keep the Silverado of the higher end builds though), and too be honest the wheels on the higher end builds are pretty good, but I'd still prefer Hope hubs laced to ZTR Flow's or Spank Spike Race rims though.

Yari fork might not have the fancy Charger Damper but it's still a hell of a good fork. The Rockshox Super Deluxe RC3 isn't a huge upgrade in performance over the Deluxe RT, so I'd try to switch over to a better air shock like the Fox x2 once money allows. For me, as long as the drivetrain works well and has a nice range of gears it's fine enough, so the SRAM nx ticks all those boxes.

My previous bike was a Santa Cruz Nomad CC 2015 and has been my favorite bike ever so far, and I was blown away with the new one in the dark blue/green with golden accents. It's sexy AF. The basic C R model is very similarly spec'd to the 730, but has a Super Deluxe R instead of a Deluxe RT, and features a lesser quality carbon material whereas RM uses the exact same frame for all of its range, and MSRP price is $6049 CAD versus the $5199 CAD of the Slayer 730. With all that in consideration, I'd (am in fact) personally go with the Slayer.

Posted: Jun 29, 2017 at 18:08 Quote
twarsh wrote:
I have already found the demo prices, but thinking maybe just getting a new one. I doubt the 2018 slayer will be much different, correct?

@gramboh -- did you do any bike park riding? If not, would it hold up as well as the nomad you think?

I don't do too much park, but am trying to get more into it this summer. The altitude can hold its own, but makes me think a bigger bike would be more fun and forgiving.

I only tried a Slayer for one day of trail riding in Squamish. I do see a lot of people ripping on them in the bike park. Like any non-DH bike, it's more the wear and tear on the bike you have to worry about... a Slayer is capable of hitting anything in Whistler.

Previous Page |

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025614
Mobile Version of Website