2017 Slayer vs 2018 Nomad

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
2017 Slayer vs 2018 Nomad
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 18, 2017 at 16:21 Quote
Upgrading from my 2015 Rocky Mountain altitude, and trying to decide between these two more downhill aimed bikes.

SLAYER VS NOMAD 4

Any thoughts and opinions would be great!

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 7:25 Quote
I would suggest pick the Slayer because it has a lot more different caracters. It climbs quite well (PinkBike even called: "fun") in the steep setting or could be a mini downhiller in the slack setting and everything in between.
Whereas the Nomad 4 only has the caracters of more playfull or as fast as possible downhill.

Tip: Don't buy a complete Rocky Mountain Slayer, just the frame and X2 shock. Negotiate on price of the frame or on something like the renewed 2018 FOX 36. Will save you lots of money. If you're not a confident mechanic, your local bike shop will build it up for about $100 but probably less. Then it's your choice what brakes, wheels, cockpit, tires, fork, etc. you want.

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 7:33 Quote
I mean, they're both good. Pick which colour you like better.

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 7:56 Quote
Have you seen the Slayer in the flesh? My LBS has one on display, I made a funny noise the first time I laid eyes on it. By far the best looking bike I have ever seen and makes my new Slash look a bit ordinary...

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 10:12 Quote
AOshred wrote:
I would suggest pick the Slayer because it has a lot more different caracters. It climbs quite well (PinkBike even called: "fun") in the steep setting or could be a mini downhiller in the slack setting and everything in between.
Whereas the Nomad 4 only has the caracters of more playfull or as fast as possible downhill.

Tip: Don't buy a complete Rocky Mountain Slayer, just the frame and X2 shock. Negotiate on price of the frame or on something like the renewed 2018 FOX 36. Will save you lots of money. If you're not a confident mechanic, your local bike shop will build it up for about $100 but probably less. Then it's your choice what brakes, wheels, cockpit, tires, fork, etc. you want.
By the way, this last chunk is less-than-great advice, in my opinion. A manufacturer will always do a complete build for a lot cheaper than you could do it for (unless you've got a big chunk of the parts already, unlikely in this day of boost wheels and non-standard fork offsets), a shop will almost never negotiate on a frame they'll almost certainly have to order in and pay freight on (especially at this time of year), and the going shop rate for a complete build at most shops is 200-350 in Canada and the US. Not to mention, FOX' is out of their first run of '18 suspension, so another couple months at least for a 36.

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 14:09 Quote
Thanks for the input so far!

Thinking the slayer would be a good replacement for the altitude as an all mountain bike, but would excel on the downhill and maybe even park stuff.

However, the nomad looks like a fun, mini dh bike.

Hard to choose haha!

Thinking of buying either the 730 slayer or nomad 4 c s, at end of season demo prices, and upgrading them with fox shocks.

Or buying a Rocky frame, fox shocks and putting all my altitude parts on it.

The altitude is unreal, but it leaves me wanting more bike on some more aggressive trails.

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 15:28 Quote
Probably not going to get any special pricing on the Nomad, as they'll keep that colour around through next summer. Both super cool bikes though!

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 15:54 Quote
I spent a day on the Slayer (base model) in Squamish last month and was blown away how well the damn thing climbed. I had it in the slackest setting and it still made it up tech single track well enough and was fine on fire roads. Super fun bike on the descents, very capable but still fun and poppy... I would call it confidence inspiring. I imagine it would climb even better steepened up a bit.

No experience on the new Nomad other than talking to a few guys in the Whistler Bike Park running them that say it's awesome to ride there. I would try one and see how the climbing compares to the Slayer before buying it... gut feeling is the Slayer is a better all arounder!

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 17:30 Quote
I have already found the demo prices, but thinking maybe just getting a new one. I doubt the 2018 slayer will be much different, correct?

@gramboh -- did you do any bike park riding? If not, would it hold up as well as the nomad you think?

I don't do too much park, but am trying to get more into it this summer. The altitude can hold its own, but makes me think a bigger bike would be more fun and forgiving.

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 17:50 Quote
@sash87 -- I keep making that sound (I'm sure it's similar) every time I see it, which is a ton right now since I can't stop reading reviews!

If you were to get the slayer, would you buy a demo 730 sept 1st and upgrade it, or just go for the 790 asap and call it a day? (If you could somehow sell enough stuff to afford it)

Posted: Jun 20, 2017 at 6:07 Quote
twarsh wrote:
@sash87 -- I keep making that sound (I'm sure it's similar) every time I see it, which is a ton right now since I can't stop reading reviews!

If you were to get the slayer, would you buy a demo 730 sept 1st and upgrade it, or just go for the 790 asap and call it a day? (If you could somehow sell enough stuff to afford it)

It's cheaper in the long run to just pay a bit more for the better specced one. Or find a second hand one if you want to keep costs down.

Posted: Jun 20, 2017 at 11:49 Quote
I'm from Utah and I've had my Slayer 730 for a couple weeks now. I love the bike it can really well. It's a fun bike park bike riding it at Deer Valley recently. But where this bike really shines is in the steep, rough, and loose bits. That's my input on the bike so far as I haven't had it very long putting two rides on it so far. This is for sure gonna be my go to bike park bike. I have no experience on the 2018 Nomad but it looks like a sweet ride.

Posted: Jun 21, 2017 at 7:33 Quote
Both the 790 and 770 have a killer spec. Unless you have nicer gear on your altitude, just get one of the completes. If you have bits to keep, just switch them over before you sell your altitude.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017909
Mobile Version of Website