Instead of a dropper post solution...

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Instead of a dropper post solution...
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 4:15 Quote
Hi guys coming from road bike I m really weight orientated and I was trying to figure out a solution for a lighter mech that allows you to set the height of your saddle without the heavy solution of a dropper post. From my personal experience a fast dropper post gives that unpleasant kick in the nuts (I'm sure it has happened to many of us) while a slow dropper post seems like it takes ages to go to the right spot and we have to use our thighs to pull it faster. So actally my slow -almost st it's end of life dropper post that I use now gave me a brilliant idea...

Why not use a remote handlebar switch (much like the ones that remote lockout forks use) is direct, efficient, simpler and MUCH lighter (clamp, cable, remote and housing 180-200 grams max) and just use your thighs to raise it to the appropriate level? Do you guys know if anything like this exists? From a short search I did I couldn't find anything.

Greetings from Greece!

Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 4:28 Quote
Im not sure the dropper post will get dumbed down any time soon. If anything it will get more features, better adjustment and lighter.

Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 8:44 Quote
On most good posts you can have the rebound speed exactly how fast you want.

Really don't get the obsession around weight, when does the lightest bike win in any racing? Yes if you take it to the extreme you will see a difference but half a kilo has very little noticable effect.

Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 9:06 Quote
MrKermit wrote:
Hi guys coming from road bike I m really weight orientated and I was trying to figure out a solution for a lighter mech that allows you to set the height of your saddle without the heavy solution of a dropper post. From my personal experience a fast dropper post gives that unpleasant kick in the nuts (I'm sure it has happened to many of us) while a slow dropper post seems like it takes ages to go to the right spot and we have to use our thighs to pull it faster. So actally my slow -almost st it's end of life dropper post that I use now gave me a brilliant idea...

Why not use a remote handlebar switch (much like the ones that remote lockout forks use) is direct, efficient, simpler and MUCH lighter (clamp, cable, remote and housing 180-200 grams max) and just use your thighs to raise it to the appropriate level? Do you guys know if anything like this exists? From a short search I did I couldn't find anything.

Greetings from Greece!

That defeats the whole point imo. And as mentioned, extension speed can be adjusted. There are already super light droppers on the market. Btw, scratches head how do you get a proper dropper to under 200 grams when a standard carbon Easton EC90 post weighs 200 grams to begin with?

http://singletrackworld.com/2017/04/9point8-introduces-worlds-lightest-dropper-post/

Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 19:52 Quote
If your that worried about the weight go back to a normal post. Then when you get whacked in the balls(which has NEVER happened to me with a dropper) by your seat you will know why.

Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 23:44 Quote
IRD made a remote that replaced the seat qr in the late 80s/ early 90s. Usually used with a "hite-rite" spring that attached to a standard seatpost.

Never tried the remote. The hite-rite was great but you had to have a seatpost that fit perfectly in your frame and the seat wouldn't always return to the exact same height or angle.

Posted: Jun 23, 2017 at 11:26 Quote
if you got a e13 dropper post and took the spring out the lock part might still work? just a random guess.

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 9:25 Quote
Probably not quite what you're looking for, but the Orbea Digit seat post may be worth reading up on.

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 12:06 Quote
just use a regular seat post and an a quick release collar.

I am kinda confused as to why a different remote for a dropper post would be helpful (there a a pile of aftermarket remote options already available) ... I have also never had my nuts wacked by an out of control seat post (and I have huge balls).... and any post that requires the rider to move it up and down with their thighs would just be a horrible idea... you may as well just stop the bike and adjust the post by hand... the thigh pinch technique would just put you out of balance or in a weird body position, and kind of defeat the purpose of a dropper.

and as someone said before, your expectations of weight for a dropper post (or even for a regular seatpost) are not compatible with reality.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009447
Mobile Version of Website