Another gear ratio thread

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Another gear ratio thread
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 23, 2017 at 8:13 Quote
Last piece of the puzzle for my bike build is figuring out gearing - something I am preety clueless about. The bike will be abit of an all rounder but is a 4x/slopestyle specific frame, I wont be doing any XC/ Road riding or anything like that, just a general fun bike that I would also be able to ride to trails.

I'm thinking a 1x10 setup (open to other options), I have a 34t ring up front, what cassette would give me a decent range of gears? Medium or short cage derailleur?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2017 at 8:33 Quote
For a 1x10 I would get the Sunrace 11-42.
For an 11 speed either 11-46 XT or 10-42 GX depending what hub you have.
The new Eagle GX 12 speed is also looking relatively affordable.
For slopestyle the extra range might be a waste, but for trail riding it would be nice.

Posted: Jun 23, 2017 at 8:44 Quote
Hub is a Pro 2 if that changes anything, it's def not going to be a slopestyle specific bike, I just prefer that geometry over any other. Will be using it for DJ/Slope, light freeride/DH and some general trail riding.

Posted: Jun 23, 2017 at 15:17 Quote
Is there any significant difference in the more expensive cassettes when it comes to performance?

O+
Posted: Jun 26, 2017 at 17:48 Quote
carpediem200 wrote:
Is there any significant difference in the more expensive cassettes when it comes to performance?

Rotational weight on the wheel mostly.

Posted: Jun 30, 2017 at 15:51 Quote
You could most likely get by with a 11-32 standard cassette if your not going to do any seriously steep climbing and havent got completely crap stamina. 11-42 is for serious XC all day epics when you need to have a backup plan to bail you out when your knackered.

Gearing is very much dependent on where you ride, for how long and how strong you are.

Posted: Jul 2, 2017 at 12:39 Quote
@ the OP - check which Pro2 hub you have before you decide on 11 or 10 speed, the older Pro 2 Evo can't take an 11 speed freehub.

http://www.hopetech.com/11-speed-compatibility/

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009611
Mobile Version of Website