New Enduro Fork

• Previous Page
Posted: Jun 24, 2017 at 11:53 Quote
Hi everyone!

I'm about to buy a new bike, probably a Transition Patrol (or whatever Transition rolls out for 2018 ).

But my main problem is to chose the right fork for it.

Here is what I think about each of the forks I have in mind:

Rockshox Lyrik - I think that only having LSC knob might limit this fork in some cases.

Fox 36 - Some people says that it is too hard on the hands, but has HSC and LSC knobs.

Formula Selva - Read great things about it but it only has one compression knob like the Lyrik. I like the idea of the aftermarket compression valves though.

Manitou Mattoc Pro 2 - HSC and LSC knobs to setup, but people says that it flexes a bit.

Cane Creek Helm - Awesome number of setup parameters including the negative air chamber pressure, but too new to know anything about its reliability.

DVO diamond - HSC and LSC setup knobs, but a little on the heavy side and I read that the OTT is not suited for heavy riders (I weigh 78 kg).

BOS Deville 35 - HSC and LSC setup knobs, very expensive.

That said, I want to add that i'm not a very aggressive rider, and don't have any experience on jumps, so this has to be taken on account when choosing the fork.

What do you guys think? What fork should I get??

Cheers

O+
Posted: Jun 24, 2017 at 13:46 Quote
Can't go wrong with the Pike. I run the 160mm on my Specialized Enduro and I love it.

Posted: Jun 24, 2017 at 13:53 Quote
also look at MRP Ribbon/Stage

Posted: Jun 24, 2017 at 14:15 Quote
If you're not a very aggressive rider then I doubt you'd need much of the tunability. A Pike or Lyrik should do nicely.

Posted: Jun 24, 2017 at 15:09 Quote
sash87 wrote:
If you're not a very aggressive rider then I doubt you'd need much of the tunability. A Pike or Lyrik should do nicely.

Maybe you're right. But what about the Formula Selva?

It has about the same tuning options as the pike and Lyrik, and I'm reading some fantastic feedback in various forums about it!

The main thing though is that I'm kind of a tinkerer, and love to mess up with dials. That's why I keep thinking about a fork with some more tuning options

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 9:23 Quote
RNeves wrote:
sash87 wrote:

It has about the same tuning options as the pike and Lyrik, and I'm reading some fantastic feedback in various forums about it!

The main thing though is that I'm kind of a tinkerer, and love to mess up with dials. That's why I keep thinking about a fork with some more tuning options

DVO Diamond is for you. I don't know who said it's not suited for heavier riders because that's total BS. I know several "heavier riders" who have ditched their Pikes for Diamonds because the Pike tends to either be too harsh if you want midstroke support or too wallowy if you want sensitivity so your hands don't cramp up.

I'm not a heavy rider but my new Diamond runs 10% less sag than my old Pike and is miles more plush and sensitive. Totally eliminated my hand cramps. You can configure it however you want.

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 10:20 Quote
eicca wrote:
RNeves wrote:
sash87 wrote:

DVO Diamond is for you. I don't know who said it's not suited for heavier riders because that's total BS. I know several "heavier riders" who have ditched their Pikes for Diamonds because the Pike tends to either be too harsh if you want midstroke support or too wallowy if you want sensitivity so your hands don't cramp up.

I'm not a heavy rider but my new Diamond runs 10% less sag than my old Pike and is miles more plush and sensitive. Totally eliminated my hand cramps. You can configure it however you want.

That's exactly my problem with the Pike!

But if I am to go the Rockshox way, it will always be a Lyrik.

What I read about the Diamond is that heavier guys can't find a suitable OTT setup. But anyways, I'm not a heavy guy at 78kg.

How do you have the compression dials set in your fork? How many clicks on each one?

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 15:34 Quote
RNeves wrote:
eicca wrote:
RNeves wrote:

What I read about the Diamond is that heavier guys can't find a suitable OTT setup. But anyways, I'm not a heavy guy at 78kg.

How do you have the compression dials set in your fork? How many clicks on each one?

I run my compression wiiiiiiiide open. I even had them set the shim stack to half the "potency" of the factory tune just to make sure there's no interference of the damper when things get fast and chattery. I let my air spring setup do all the work.

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 16:34 Quote
eicca wrote:
RNeves wrote:
eicca wrote:

I run my compression wiiiiiiiide open. I even had them set the shim stack to half the "potency" of the factory tune just to make sure there's no interference of the damper when things get fast and chattery. I let my air spring setup do all the work.

Both HSC and LSC wide open?!

That's a strange setup!

I'm also thinking about the Cane Creek Helm, as it also has alot of setup options and also looks cool. The only problem with that is that I can't find anyone who has one to tell me how it handles.

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 18:08 Quote
Another vote for the diamond. Iv ridden the fox 36, fox 34, pile, lyric, and mattoc. And none of those had the same plushness and composure that the diamond has. It also has a great tuning range, and unrivaled customer service. Call up the company anytime and they can supply tuning advice.

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 19:58 Quote
Giladgu wrote:
Another vote for the diamond. Iv ridden the fox 36, fox 34, pile, lyric, and mattoc. And none of those had the same plushness and composure that the diamond has. It also has a great tuning range, and unrivaled customer service. Call up the company anytime and they can supply tuning advice.

Cool, nice to have the opinion of someone that has ridden all those forks.

BTW, were the forks you tried all from aproximately the same year?

I ask this because a Lyrik or a 36 from 2012 will be really different from those of 2016 or 2017.

Also, I read on some forums that the 2018 Fox 36 is much more plusher that its predecessor.

Posted: Jun 26, 2017 at 12:09 Quote
RNeves wrote:
Hi everyone!

I'm about to buy a new bike, probably a Transition Patrol (or whatever Transition rolls out for 2018 ).

Rockshox Lyrik - I think that only having LSC knob might limit this fork in some cases.

Fox 36 - Some people says that it is too hard on the hands, but has HSC and LSC knobs.

Formula Selva - Read great things about it but it only has one compression knob like the Lyrik. I like the idea of the aftermarket compression valves though.

Manitou Mattoc Pro 2 - HSC and LSC knobs to setup, but people says that it flexes a bit.

Cane Creek Helm - Awesome number of setup parameters including the negative air chamber pressure, but too new to know anything about its reliability.

DVO diamond - HSC and LSC setup knobs, but a little on the heavy side and I read that the OTT is not suited for heavy riders (I weigh 78 kg).

That said, I want to add that i'm not a very aggressive rider, and don't have any experience on jumps, so this has to be taken on account when choosing the fork.

Cheers

If you're not riding aggressively then I would think you want something that is superior in the "small bump" compliance department correct? I'd say you will be fine with the Pike/Lyrik + Vorsprung Luftkappe to improve small bumps (if needed, if you want to tinker haha)

Fox 36 is nice but is a bit overkill if you won't be riding aggressively, even with all the HSC & LSC knobs to tinker with, the only one you would really "feel" would be the LSC. On regular trail riding, the Fox 36 could feel a bit "harsh" on the trai, but that is how it is supposed to feel since it was designed to be ridden fast. When it was on my trail bike, I was opening up the LSC for light trail DH, and closing off the LSC for climbs.

Now when the Fox 36 is at the bike park, holy cow this thing is alive. Sending it off jumps, rough steep DH, high speed braking, you feel the difference in LSC/HSC and how "plushed" and compliant it is at high speeds Drool

I guess it all comes down what you are trying to do with your fork... the 2015 Pike w/ Avalanche damper + MRP ramp control is on my trail bike. 2016 Fox 36 is on my park bike.

Posted: Jun 26, 2017 at 13:47 Quote
sdken wrote:
RNeves wrote:
Hi everyone!

Cheers

If you're not riding aggressively then I would think you want something that is superior in the "small bump" compliance department correct? I'd say you will be fine with the Pike/Lyrik + Vorsprung Luftkappe to improve small bumps (if needed, if you want to tinker haha)

Fox 36 is nice but is a bit overkill if you won't be riding aggressively, even with all the HSC & LSC knobs to tinker with, the only one you would really "feel" would be the LSC. On regular trail riding, the Fox 36 could feel a bit "harsh" on the trai, but that is how it is supposed to feel since it was designed to be ridden fast. When it was on my trail bike, I was opening up the LSC for light trail DH, and closing off the LSC for climbs.

Now when the Fox 36 is at the bike park, holy cow this thing is alive. Sending it off jumps, rough steep DH, high speed braking, you feel the difference in LSC/HSC and how "plushed" and compliant it is at high speeds Drool

I guess it all comes down what you are trying to do with your fork... the 2015 Pike w/ Avalanche damper + MRP ramp control is on my trail bike. 2016 Fox 36 is on my park bike.

Guess you're probably right about the HSC not being of much use to me...

And the Lyrik is clearly the cheapest option here in Portugal, as I can find it at 700 euros. And all others are at the 1000 euro range and above...

People also raves about the DVO diamond, that its HSC damping can replace the need of tokens.

Too bad that DVO are not very popular here in Portugal, so the only way of trying one is to buy one. The same aplies to the Formula Selva

Posted: Jun 26, 2017 at 14:49 Quote
You can replace tokens by adding more air pressure and cranking up the OTT too.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 26, 2017 at 15:40 Quote
OP: Either DVO Diamond or the 2018 Fox 36 with the RC2 damper.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011259
Mobile Version of Website