Oil coming through dust seals

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Oil coming through dust seals
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 9:37 Quote
Hi,

I recently serviced my RS Lyrik and did couple of rides and everything was fine. I tend to do the zip-tie trick quite often to make sure I always have SAG of 0% when bike is not under any load. After the service, I did this trick once and it was fine but when I did it yesterday after long ride (the fork was coming back to 2-3% not 0), as the air was released, the oil came through the seals as well. It happened on both sides. Why is that happening, any ideas? I am not sure if I am not loosing some air from the chamber, need to double check the pressure but then even if thats the case, it would not have any influence on damper side?

Any ideas guys what is happening?

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 11:56 Quote
zip tie trick?

as in you periodically put a ziptie between the seal and the stanchion to equalize air pressure?

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 11:58 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
zip tie trick?

as in you periodically put a ziptie between the seal and the stanchion to equalize air pressure?

yep, correct. The air gets stuck in the seal sometimes

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 12:23 Quote
ciechan wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:
zip tie trick?

The air get stuck in the lowers, the seals just hold it in there Wink .. so when you release the seal air comes up from the lower.. there is also oil in the lower, and oil on the foam rings under your seals. Its very likely that after your ride there was just some residual oil hanging around that came out with the air.. no big deal, assuming that it's just a small amount... next time, burp them before you ride instead of after.

Air pressure can build up in the lowers a few different ways .. a leaking air chamber, changes in atmospheric pressures (elevation changes) or just from riding, air can get sucked passed the seal.

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 12:57 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
ciechan wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:
zip tie trick?

The air get stuck in the lowers, the seals just hold it in there Wink .. so when you release the seal air comes up from the lower.. there is also oil in the lower, and oil on the foam rings under your seals. Its very likely that after your ride there was just some residual oil hanging around that came out with the air.. no big deal, assuming that it's just a small amount... next time, burp them before you ride instead of after.

Air pressure can build up in the lowers a few different ways .. a leaking air chamber, changes in atmospheric pressures (elevation changes) or just from riding, air can get sucked passed the seal.

Okay then, interestingly enough my fork does not have foams but black oil seal instead. I will try burping them before the ride now, thanks

Posted: Jul 1, 2017 at 11:18 Quote
You don't need to ziptie it often. If your fork sags itself again. Release all the air let it sinks, then hold the front wheel and pull up hard until top out. It should stay on top of travel without air.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008801
Mobile Version of Website