Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2021 at 20:34 Quote
captbennett wrote:
Just ordered my Sentinel! Won't be here until March, but have a few questions while I shop for upgrades until it gets here (already ordered some carbon bars Smile ).

1.) What water bottle / cages are you running that seem to work well? My bike before this one didn't have room for one so I'm excited to finally have one for short rides! (I've seen the Fidlocks, but I'm not sold yet)

2.) What gear accessories are ya'll running on the bottom of your downtube? I've got my eyes on the High Above ones, but would love to hear input from everyone else and what they like.

3.) Anyone running the Meg Neg and think it's worth the money to upgrade the RCT?

Thanks!

Fidlock is the real deal, haven’t dropped a bottle since I moved to it. And so clean with no huge cage.

I use the wolftooth medium strap for the top tube bolts, with a tube and a patch kit.

Haven’t run a Megneg, but if you’re anywhere near 220lbs+ you may exceed the max psi rating for the shock since you have to put more air in the megneg to achieve the same sag. I’m 240lbs and went the coil route because I wouldn’t have been able to get enough air in it

Posted: Nov 5, 2021 at 10:52 Quote
I use the zee/ emt combo too, ive been running a zee for 3 years and never lost a bottle.

Posted: Nov 5, 2021 at 11:17 Quote
I have Peaty's Fidlock on my Sentinel and the Spesh Zee II cage on the HT. By far the Spesh is the best cage you can get. Fidlock rattles a bit which is annoying. Always carry my tools, etc on the bumbag and never on the bike.

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2021 at 12:03 Quote
Thanks everyone!

Think I'm gonna get a Zee based on everyone's feedback. Probably will get the Meg Neg as well at some point so I can throw it on my bike.

Posted: Nov 8, 2021 at 17:40 Quote
Just a heads up for V2 sentinel alloy owners looking to run a cascade components link - I recently found that the seat stay bridge just barely contacts the rear of the seat tube when running a 62.5 mm stroke float x shock at full bottom out with no air in the shock. A 60 mm stroke rockshox super deluxe air shock was fitted and was found to have a few mm clearance (3-5 mm). Piggyback clearance issues weren't encountered with either shock at full bottom out. Cascade Components stated that they would update the website with this newfound information. Link felt great with the SD. Beer

Posted: Nov 10, 2021 at 9:12 Quote
Just ordered one of the Alloy frames in Blue, size M. I was told March time frame as well, super excited!

I really want to try a coil for the first time, but I'll give the float X a chance to start. If any of you guys already have the alloy Sentinel, I'd love to see some photos. It doesn't seem like there are many out there yet.

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2021 at 10:55 Quote
ernn wrote:
Just ordered one of the Alloy frames in Blue, size M. I was told March time frame as well, super excited!

I really want to try a coil for the first time, but I'll give the float X a chance to start. If any of you guys already have the alloy Sentinel, I'd love to see some photos. It doesn't seem like there are many out there yet.

photo

The supplied float x is good man. No need to change it if you are short on cash.

Posted: Nov 10, 2021 at 13:28 Quote
Anyone that has swapped from an air shock (ideally from the 2021 X2) to a coil, would love to hear your thoughts!? I keep thinkingbthat the Sentinel on coil would be even better…something like a EXT or Push…which again would be good tontear thoughts between the two…had a Push for years before and it was good albeit I found the lever between the two modes very weak and flimsy.

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2021 at 13:41 Quote
gbcarmona wrote:
Anyone that has swapped from an air shock (ideally from the 2021 X2) to a coil, would love to hear your thoughts!? I keep thinkingbthat the Sentinel on coil would be even better…something like a EXT or Push…which again would be good tontear thoughts between the two…had a Push for years before and it was good albeit I found the lever between the two modes very weak and flimsy.

My experience with air shocks and coils are generally the same on all bikes I had the opportunity to try out (3 in which I owned personally) – the coil has much greater traction in all occurrences, the Sentinel is no different. I rented a V2 Sentinel in Oaxaca about a month ago (with a RS Superdeluxe) and it was fun, but my V2 Sentinel with a (Push) coil is just so much better for the riding I do. Still poppy like an air can, but has much better composure in root gardens / uneven surfaces – I don’t see ever going back to an air can. Everyone is different using different settings – if set up correctly, you can have fun on either but a coil wins (to me) every time.

About the lever between modes (on a Push on the Sentinel): I found for whatever reason that the “open” circuit is much better up and down, unless I am grinding up long fire roads and even then, I usually leave it open.

Posted: Nov 10, 2021 at 19:35 Quote
The supplied float x is good man. No need to change it if you are short on cash.[/Quote]

Oh man, the blue looks great. I'll be coming from a DPS that I've had problems with from the start (came stock on my Vitus Sommet), so any upgrade at all will be appreciated. I've just never tried running a coil and would like to test the hype one of these days!

Posted: Nov 11, 2021 at 7:28 Quote
gbcarmona wrote:

That new Float X shock looks really promising to me. Maybe stick with it and see if you like it. The cool thing about that shock is that it is a more traditional design which should lead to a bunch of custom tuning options in the future.

That being said I had a Push on my V1 and it was mind blowing,,,,, until bottomed out. However its kinda of an apples to oranges comparo since the V2 Sentinel has a more progressive curve and the new 11-6 is position sensitive with HBC (hydraulic bottom out).

Last year I upgraded to one of first V2 Sentinel's, and my plan was to get the Push from the V1 retuned and up-stroked to work on the V2. After calling Push I found out that they would not do that. Honestly I was a little irked by this and didn't feel like ponying up for a new $1300 shock so I went with the $1000 Storia. After doing a little research though I understand Push's reasoning. Their tunes are more that just a shim shuffle, they tune every shock very specifically to the bike that it is going on, and then to the riders ability, weight, and preferences, going so far as to having specific machining for the main pistons and needles and such.

The Storia has been a really good shock, no complaints besides its a little noisy, it is very confidence inspiring on the downs ,more traction, more hold up but not harsh, never bottoms etc etc. I just sent it in to get it rebuilt and up-stroked for the Spire, which was $200, and can't wait to try it out (waiting on a rear derailleur and a broken arm to heal) Overall without comparing the Push directly, it's hard to say which is better between the two but I think Push's package on paper with it's next level level tuning and two independent damping circuits would Trump the EXT for all out performance, but plan on selling the Push you change bikes.

Posted: Nov 11, 2021 at 8:16 Quote
TOOTRIKK wrote:
gbcarmona wrote:

That new Float X shock looks really promising to me. Maybe stick with it and see if you like it. The cool thing about that shock is that it is a more traditional design which should lead to a bunch of custom tuning options in the future.

That being said I had a Push on my V1 and it was mind blowing,,,,, until bottomed out. However its kinda of an apples to oranges comparo since the V2 Sentinel has a more progressive curve and the new 11-6 is position sensitive with HBC (hydraulic bottom out).

Last year I upgraded to one of first V2 Sentinel's, and my plan was to get the Push from the V1 retuned and up-stroked to work on the V2. After calling Push I found out that they not due that. Honestly I was a little irked by this and didn't feel like ponying up for a new $1300 shock so I went with the $1000 Storia. After doing a little research though I understand Push's reasoning. Their tunes are more that just a shim shuffle, they tune every shock very specifically to the chassis that it is going on to, and then to the riders ability, weight, and preferences, going so far as to having specific machining for the main pistons and needles and such.

The Storia has been a really good shock, no complaints besides its a little noisy, it is very confidence inspiring on the downs ,more traction, more hold up but not harsh, never bottoms etc etc. I just sent it in to get it rebuilt and up-stroked for the Spire, which was $200, and can't wait to try it out (waiting on a rear derailleur and a broken arm to heal) Overall without comparing the Push directly, it's hard to say which is better between the two but I think Push's package on paper with it's next level level tuning and two independent damping circuits would Trump the EXT for all out performance, but plan on selling it the Push you change bikes.

That's interesting because I remember before, Push being willing to reconfigure and retune your shock to different bikes was a huge selling point. But if that is no longer the case, it is much harder to justify the price tag.

Posted: Nov 11, 2021 at 8:51 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
TOOTRIKK wrote:
gbcarmona wrote:

Last year I upgraded to one of first V2 Sentinel's, and my plan was to get the Push from the V1 retuned and up-stroked to work on the V2. After calling Push I found out that they not due that. Honestly I was a little irked by this and didn't feel like ponying up for a new $1300 shock so I went with the $1000 Storia. After doing a little research though I understand Push's reasoning. Their tunes are more that just a shim shuffle, they tune every shock very specifically to the chassis that it is going on to, and then to the riders ability, weight, and preferences, going so far as to having specific machining for the main pistons and needles and such.

The Storia has been a really good shock, no complaints besides its a little noisy, it is very confidence inspiring on the downs ,more traction, more hold up but not harsh, never bottoms etc etc. I just sent it in to get it rebuilt and up-stroked for the Spire, which was $200, and can't wait to try it out (waiting on a rear derailleur and a broken arm to heal) Overall without comparing the Push directly, it's hard to say which is better between the two but I think Push's package on paper with it's next level level tuning and two independent damping circuits would Trump the EXT for all out performance, but plan on selling it the Push you change bikes.

That's interesting because I remember before, Push being willing to reconfigure and retune your shock to different bikes was a huge selling point. But if that is no longer the case, it is much harder to justify the price tag.

Actually I think they will reconfigure if they have done the tuning for the bike and shock that you request. To be more clear since Push doesn't have a V2 Sentinel setting/tune for the first gen 11-6 they won't reconfigure since it will not be up to their standards.

Posted: Nov 11, 2021 at 10:35 Quote
TOOTRIKK wrote:
gbcarmona wrote:

Last year I upgraded to one of first V2 Sentinel's, and my plan was to get the Push from the V1 retuned and up-stroked to work on the V2. After calling Push I found out that they would not do that. Honestly I was a little irked by this and didn't feel like ponying up for a new $1300 shock so I went with the $1000 Storia. After doing a little research though I understand Push's reasoning. Their tunes are more that just a shim shuffle, they tune every shock very specifically to the bike that it is going on, and then to the riders ability, weight, and preferences, going so far as to having specific machining for the main pistons and needles and such.

The Storia has been a really good shock, no complaints besides its a little noisy, it is very confidence inspiring on the downs ,more traction, more hold up but not harsh, never bottoms etc etc. I just sent it in to get it rebuilt and up-stroked for the Spire, which was $200, and can't wait to try it out (waiting on a rear derailleur and a broken arm to heal) Overall without comparing the Push directly, it's hard to say which is better between the two but I think Push's package on paper with it's next level level tuning and two independent damping circuits would Trump the EXT for all out performance, but plan on selling the Push you change bikes.

Thank you for your time writing this and your honest un-biased opinion. Really annoying that Push decided not to change and setup the older shock to the newer frame...which is one of their selling points and ive just watched a clip of Darren saying just that...even if the newer frame has different e2e or mount type...
ive read about the noise issue of the EXT many times...that is the only thing that puts me off a bit...I like a silent bike as much as possible. I had a Push for year, and besides a couple of issues (from new one of the valves wouldn't click so you never really knew exactly how many clicks to tune it...and the lever used to be a bit flimsy and lose "feel"...it has been changed now anyway).

Posted: Nov 11, 2021 at 14:04 Quote
If you can hear an ext at full boogie, you aren’t going fast enough.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015480
Mobile Version of Website