Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 5:15 Quote
Finished building up an alumiunum V2 Setintinel last week. After having a pretty crappy customer service experience with my Specialized Stumpy Evo and a simple rock strike turned into down tube crack, I opted to forgo the repair/crash replacement and picked up an aluminum Sentintel frame to throw all the parts on. While its definitely heavier, it feels just as good out on the trails and can head into rock gardens with a bit more confidence that an errant rock bounce won't break the frame! After a weekend of smashing some Pennsylvania rocks, I will say that this bike soaks up the chunk with ease.

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 6:39 Quote
tbooz wrote:
Finished building up an alumiunum V2 Setintinel last week. After having a pretty crappy customer service experience with my Specialized Stumpy Evo and a simple rock strike turned into down tube crack, I opted to forgo the repair/crash replacement and picked up an aluminum Sentintel frame to throw all the parts on. While its definitely heavier, it feels just as good out on the trails and can head into rock gardens with a bit more confidence that an errant rock bounce won't break the frame! After a weekend of smashing some Pennsylvania rocks, I will say that this bike soaks up the chunk with ease.

What happened with your Stumpy Evo? Carbon model?

Thanks for reminding me about bouncing rocks. I have a V2 Sentinel carbon and ride rocky trails occasionally. Need more downtube protection to help battle rock strikes!

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 6:45 Quote
Is anyone able to confirm if a Fox Float X will work on the Carbon models? I know it works on the Aluminum models since it comes with it, but didn't know if on the Carbon Models they changed anything that would prevent me from taking out the X2 and putting in just the X

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 6:49 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:

Thanks for reminding me about bouncing rocks. I have a V2 Sentinel carbon and ride rocky trails occasionally. Need more downtube protection to help battle rock strikes!

My Stumpy Evo had a rock bounce from getting kicked up by front wheel, hit the down tube, crack the Rock Guards protector and the frame underneath. Big S was no help, said since I wasn't running stock protector it definitely was my fault, even though it seems that this has been a fairly common issue since the down tube on the Evo's is eggshell thin. No options for front triangle only, offered 35% full price frame set for crash replacement and shop said I'd have to send old frame set back. Could have carbon repaired the crack, but with how easy it cracked what's to say it won't happen again somewhere else on frame. I cut my losses and ordered the aluminium V2 Sentinel.

After a few days of solid riding on it, so far it feels as good as the Evo on the descents. Definitely a bit heavier (frame, shock, hardware on XL was 10lb), but it still pedals decent with the good traction offered as long as you can put power down. In my mind the Sentinel is pretty much an equal to the Evo, just with way way better customer service and support from the folks at Transition.

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 8:02 Quote
REL1203 wrote:
Is anyone able to confirm if a Fox Float X will work on the Carbon models? I know it works on the Aluminum models since it comes with it, but didn't know if on the Carbon Models they changed anything that would prevent me from taking out the X2 and putting in just the X

That’s totally fine you can definitely put a Fox Float X ok the carbon model. It will work just as good. But if you currently have a RS Super Deluxe on it I would rather recommend a MegNeg upgrade Smile

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 10:29 Quote
kjbn wrote:
REL1203 wrote:

That’s totally fine you can definitely put a Fox Float X ok the carbon model. It will work just as good. But if you currently have a RS Super Deluxe on it I would rather recommend a MegNeg upgrade Smile

Super deluxe rode better than float x for me. Cascade link with super deluxe was the best.

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 11:12 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
tbooz wrote:

Get a Rockguardz carbon protector...saved mine so many times...im on my second in fact since the first one was already full of knocks.
I know someone else who cracked his Stumpy Evo exactly the same way...apparently to get the SWAT box, the walls of the downtube are very thin/weak.

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 12:50 Quote
Muchogusto wrote:
kjbn wrote:
REL1203 wrote:

Super deluxe rode better than float x for me. Cascade link with super deluxe was the best.

Did you upgrade to MegNeg? And id you have a chance to compare with a coil? Smile

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 17:11 Quote
kjbn wrote:
Muchogusto wrote:
kjbn wrote:

Did you upgrade to MegNeg? And id you have a chance to compare with a coil? Smile

Didn’t ride with a megneg or compare to coil. With the link at 30% progression, there isn’t much need for a megneg, but it could be awesome if dialed in right.

Posted: Nov 26, 2021 at 1:22 Quote
In alloy frames, the lines and letters on the top tube, the top chainstay and behind the seat tube, is it painted or are they stickers?

When my frame arrives, I want to remove it...

Posted: Nov 26, 2021 at 5:28 Quote
rainbow82 wrote:
In alloy frames, the lines and letters on the top tube, the top chainstay and behind the seat tube, is it painted or are they stickers?

When my frame arrives, I want to remove it...

Painted.

Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 13:39 Quote
In case anyone is looking, I saw quite a few alloy Sentinels (including Large and a medium builds) in stock yesterday on their site. Frame sets too, but no size Medium. My frame still shows March ship, however the bikes In stock show as “Ships now.”

Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 16:49 Quote
ernn wrote:
In case anyone is looking, I saw quite a few alloy Sentinels (including Large and a medium builds) in stock yesterday on their site. Frame sets too, but no size Medium. My frame still shows March ship, however the bikes In stock show as “Ships now.”

Good catch. Lots of Spires and alloy Scouts in stock as well. Couple of patrols. No spurs though.

Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 20:18 Quote
So the 205x60 dhx will not clear on a gen 1 Sentinel with the cascade link. Will shortening the stroke to 57.5 fix this problem? The reservoir barely touches

Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 20:30 Quote
BoneZ156 wrote:
So the 205x60 dhx will not clear on a gen 1 Sentinel with the cascade link. Will shortening the stroke to 57.5 fix this problem? The reservoir barely touches

Carbon or alloy?

https://cascadecomponents.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047873431-Frame-and-Shock-Compatibility-for-the-Transition-V1-Sentinel-V3-Patrol-LT-Link-TRS-1000-

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007917
Mobile Version of Website