close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 20:00 Quote
I have a 2021 Transition sentinel x01 build that is 4 months old and has 200-250 miles on it. My LBS installed an upgraded 54 ratchet system after two months of ownership. After the upgrade I noticed creaking while in the three lowest gears (3 largest) of the cassette while under torque. I originally thought it was the spokes creaking so I attempted tightening them. Not good since I screwed up the true of the wheel. Since my sorry attempt of tightening the spokes the creak seems to be more noticeable; especially when I hold rear brake and push on the pedal causing torque on cassette. It creaks on push of pedal then again when I release pressure from pedal. My only concern is the creak seems to stem from the cassette where I think I can feel and hear it. Just to be clear, it is not coming from bottom bracket or the chainring; both have been checked. Besides the spokes could the issue be from within the upgraded 54t ratchet hub?

Frustrating with new, awesome bike. Please anyone with advice or suggestions.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 21:12 Quote
cgaches wrote:
I have a 2021 Transition sentinel x01 build that is 4 months old and has 200-250 miles on it. My LBS installed an upgraded 54 ratchet system after two months of ownership. After the upgrade I noticed creaking while in the three lowest gears (3 largest) of the cassette while under torque. I originally thought it was the spokes creaking so I attempted tightening them. Not good since I screwed up the true of the wheel. Since my sorry attempt of tightening the spokes the creak seems to be more noticeable; especially when I hold rear brake and push on the pedal causing torque on cassette. It creaks on push of pedal then again when I release pressure from pedal. My only concern is the creak seems to stem from the cassette where I think I can feel and hear it. Just to be clear, it is not coming from bottom bracket or the chainring; both have been checked. Besides the spokes could the issue be from within the upgraded 54t ratchet hub?

Make sure your rear wheel isn't loose, they may not have tightened it when they put the rear wheel back in. If that's not it, start removing, cleaning, greasing everything. I had an annoying creak on my last bike and it was the clutch on the derailleur needing to be rebuilt.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 23:36 Quote
cgaches wrote:

Creaks are a minefield and often don't come from where you think, based on your approach I'd take it to a shop and have a decent mechanic ride it

If you are sure it's coming from the cassette:

Remove the cassette, clean and re-grease the interface between the cassette and free hub. This pretty normal for a pre-built bike with 250mi on it. Also make sure the cassette is on tight

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 7:46 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
cgaches wrote:

Make sure your rear wheel isn't loose, they may not have tightened it when they put the rear wheel back in. If that's not it, start removing, cleaning, greasing everything. I had an annoying creak on my last bike and it was the clutch on the derailleur needing to be rebuilt.

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 7:51 Quote
Wheel is tight….15nm. I hope it’s not the rear derailleur. I’m going to pull wheel and put torque on cassette with chain whip to see if it creates same creak. Then I can rule out derailleur. Thank you for the advice. I’ll report back.

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 7:51 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
cgaches wrote:

Creaks are a minefield and often don't come from where you think, based on your approach I'd take it to a shop and have a decent mechanic ride it

If you are sure it's coming from the cassette:

Remove the cassette, clean and re-grease the interface between the cassette and free hub. This pretty normal for a pre-built bike with 250mi on it. Also make sure the cassette is on tight

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 8:01 Quote
Good to hear creaks can be normal in pre-built bikes. I am going to deal with cassette. I only pulled half the hub apart since it’s the DT swiss 350 where you can pull cassette off by hand and the other half is still in cassette. I think if I pull wheel off and put torque on cassette with chain whip I can pinpoint the creak….maybe. Also could be spokes? I have DT swiss xm1700 wheels.

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 15:09 Quote
Has anyone put a 62.5 mm stroke shock on a V1 sentinel?
Thanks

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 19:09 Quote
Which shock? A 60mm dhx hits my downtube

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 19:38 Quote
I have a dpx2 @ 60mm working on my V1 sentinel. I am using a cascade link though. 62.5mm won’t work on my frame. The seat stay bridge would hit the frame.

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 20:21 Quote
Cool thanks for the info

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 13:35 Quote
Hey guys, thanks for posting some pics of your new shred machines!
The colourways of these two bikes aren`t quite the same, which certainly is a matter of camera adjustment.
Which one fits the real coulorway?
I found several pics on the internet with that babyblueish colourway of the first picture and the bit darker/dryer and more shiny blue of the second and 3rd picture....?

xetal wrote:
Here is the built up version. 34Lbs total.

2022 Transition Sentinel Alloy

tbooz wrote:
Finished building up an alumiunum V2 Setintinel last week. After having a pretty crappy customer service experience with my Specialized Stumpy Evo and a simple rock strike turned into down tube crack, I opted to forgo the repair/crash replacement and picked up an aluminum Sentintel frame to throw all the parts on. While its definitely heavier, it feels just as good out on the trails and can head into rock gardens with a bit more confidence that an errant rock bounce won't break the frame! After a weekend of smashing some Pennsylvania rocks, I will say that this bike soaks up the chunk with ease.

Thanks!

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 15:46 Quote
s3ntin3l wrote:
I have a dpx2 @ 60mm working on my V1 sentinel. I am using a cascade link though. 62.5mm won’t work on my frame. The seat stay bridge would hit the frame.

Carbon or alloy? What size frame?

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 20:47 Quote
RolliRolltRund wrote:
Hey guys, thanks for posting some pics of your new shred machines!
The colourways of these two bikes aren`t quite the same, which certainly is a matter of camera adjustment.
Which one fits the real coulorway?
I found several pics on the internet with that babyblueish colourway of the first picture and the bit darker/dryer and more shiny blue of the second and 3rd picture....?

xetal wrote:
Here is the built up version. 34Lbs total.

2022 Transition Sentinel Alloy

tbooz wrote:
Finished building up an alumiunum V2 Setintinel last week. After having a pretty crappy customer service experience with my Specialized Stumpy Evo and a simple rock strike turned into down tube crack, I opted to forgo the repair/crash replacement and picked up an aluminum Sentintel frame to throw all the parts on. While its definitely heavier, it feels just as good out on the trails and can head into rock gardens with a bit more confidence that an errant rock bounce won't break the frame! After a weekend of smashing some Pennsylvania rocks, I will say that this bike soaks up the chunk with ease.

Thanks!
In the sun it is bright blue. It turns out a bit darker as in pic 2-3 when there us no direct light.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009846
Mobile Version of Website