close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 9:56 Quote
TOOTRIKK wrote:
whiteranger3 wrote:
TOOTRIKK wrote:

Cool thing about the RS is you can send it to a tuner like Vorsprung Tractiv if you are unhappy with the stock tune, or tune it yourself if you got the know how since RS stuff is fully serviceable by the owner

You can't tractive tune the superdeluxe if it has the new high-flow piston, which most of them do now. only the first batch sentinels didn't have them. Something about the piston ports being too big to effectively tune.

However, they are easily shim-stack tuned so you could just find a local tuner or someone like trail labs in the US to tune the shim stack for you.

Oh I thought Tractiv was merely a custom piston and valve (shim) stack, which in that case the high flow piston wouldn't matter since your are replacing it anyways. Apparently it's more than that.

I haven't talked specifically to vorsprung about it, just regurgitating what i've read online! but as far as i understand, the tractive tune doesn't work with the high-flow "hotdog" piston. Here's what i've been reading -

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/rockshox-hotdog-piston-vorsprung-tractive-not-compatible.1180688/

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 11:47 Quote
Anyone have any recommendations for getting the RS SD rebuilt? Or has anyone attempted to rebuild one themselves? Mine blew last week, had 1600 miles on it so it was probably about time. Contemplating doing it myself but having trouble finding the full rebuild kit online.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 14:10 Quote
TOOTRIKK wrote:
kjbn wrote:
TOOTRIKK wrote:

Cool thing about the RS is you can send it to a tuner like Vorsprung Tractiv if you are unhappy with the stock tune, or tune it yourself if you got the know how since RS stuff is fully serviceable by the owner. However Fox's new X2 and X look like major steps forward from their previous versions, so I am guessing the tuners will have something in the works soon, well at least for the X, as the VVC in the X2 complicates things....

Apparently Transition worked pretty closely with Fox for the X2 tune on the Spire and came up with something special, or that's the gist I get from a few shop rats who have posted on the Transition forums. Seems like RS and Fox shocks Low OEM tunes generally are still too much for Transition's leverage ratios that hover around 3 to 2.1:1 which is low! This can lead to an over damped/harsh feel so having a tuning option is nice, if you did run into that situation.

FYI I ran a Zeb at 170 and CC Link with a EXT Storia on my V2 and it was amazeballs on the descents, I mean next level!. Only negative for me was the high front end of the Zeb kinda ruined the amazing Transition climbing position, (or more less made it like most other bikes on the climb lol) so I added a Spire to the stable, put a 160mm Fox 36 back on the Senty and sold the CC link to a bud. Also figured out that the 65mm stroke X2 from the Spire works on my XL Sentinel with no clearance issues (Storia is on the Spire) so my Sentinel is closer to 160 in the rear, but I might space it back down to 150 if it ruins the character I am going for on the bike. Anyway recovering from a badly broken arm so haven't had a chance to ride either bike hard yet, so no ride reviews, Sorry about the windbag response and good luck, I am sure you'll love your Sentinel all said and done.

Thanks for your feedback! I actually have noticed the same decrease in efficiency on the climb with the higher ZEB. The whole point of changing from my DHX to an air shock would be for me to get some efficiency back on the way up. So I was thinking about switching back to a Lyrik or Fox 36 but probably keeping my CC link and 170mm travel on the fork.

Hmm not sure I am following your logic on switching out a Coil shock for an Air shock to increase climbing efficiency. The few bikes I have switched to a coil on, besides weight, I would lean to the coil better for climbing. Of course I switched to a Push in one case, and a Storia last time so maybe that's why. Definitely following your logic on the forks. 38mm forks are tall!

I'm dropping my 36 back down to 160 this week as it's a little too flexy at 170, but I'm over 200# so ymmv.

IME running both air and coil on my ripmo AF and current v1 sentinel w/ cascade link, they both climbed better with air. Still climbed fine with coils, just lost a little pep.

My super deluxe is at suspension syndicate right now for the tractive tune and I'm hoping for the first ride this Saturday despite winter showing up in northern Utah this week.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 14:28 Quote
WasatchEnduro wrote:
TOOTRIKK wrote:
kjbn wrote:

Thanks for your feedback! I actually have noticed the same decrease in efficiency on the climb with the higher ZEB. The whole point of changing from my DHX to an air shock would be for me to get some efficiency back on the way up. So I was thinking about switching back to a Lyrik or Fox 36 but probably keeping my CC link and 170mm travel on the fork.

Hmm not sure I am following your logic on switching out a Coil shock for an Air shock to increase climbing efficiency. The few bikes I have switched to a coil on, besides weight, I would lean to the coil better for climbing. Of course I switched to a Push in one case, and a Storia last time so maybe that's why. Definitely following your logic on the forks. 38mm forks are tall!

I'm dropping my 36 back down to 160 this week as it's a little too flexy at 170, but I'm over 200# so ymmv.

IME running both air and coil on my ripmo AF and current v1 sentinel w/ cascade link, they both climbed better with air. Still climbed fine with coils, just lost a little pep.

My super deluxe is at suspension syndicate right now for the tractive tune and I'm hoping for the first ride this Saturday despite winter showing up in northern Utah this week.

Sweet, please share your feedback once you've put some miles on that new setup! I'm wondering how it would feel to have the fork travel set at 160mm and the rear at 165mm (with CC link). I was thinking about bringing the travel back to 160mm as well.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 15:03 Quote
kjbn wrote:
WasatchEnduro wrote:
TOOTRIKK wrote:

Sweet, please share your feedback once you've put some miles on that new setup! I'm wondering how it would feel to have the fork travel set at 160mm and the rear at 165mm (with CC link). I was thinking about bringing the travel back to 160mm as well.

i'm doing just this right now with my zeb. it's at 170 but with longer axle to crown + travel it's just too floppy and twitchy at 63.15 head angle. that being said, i'm actually having an EXT e-Storia sent in a 60 stroke to take my rear to 160mm with the cascade link so i'll be sitting at 160/160 zeb out front with ext coil out back. should be pretty bomber!

EDIT: buddy of mine runs his 160 lyrik up front with cc link super deluxe out back and loves it. stock geo is legit, the more i've been messing with it the more i've realized I didn't need to.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 17:52 Quote
I’m at 60mm + cascade on a v1 so 152mm out back @kjbn. The leverage rate beginning/end and overall curve is very close to the stock v2 so should still be a good gauge of how the vorsprung tractive tune would do on a v2. Of course it’ll be better but at least I’ve got some time on a Float X this fall as another reference point to compare against.

The only caveat is that with temps dropping and snow coming rideable trails will become more scarce real quick here and suspension never feels amazing in 30 degree temps.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 19:53 Quote
mustclime wrote:
s3ntin3l wrote:
I have a dpx2 @ 60mm working on my V1 sentinel. I am using a cascade link though. 62.5mm won’t work on my frame. The seat stay bridge would hit the frame.

Carbon or alloy? What size frame?

Carbon, size large.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 5:17 Quote
s3ntin3l wrote:
mustclime wrote:
s3ntin3l wrote:
I have a dpx2 @ 60mm working on my V1 sentinel. I am using a cascade link though. 62.5mm won’t work on my frame. The seat stay bridge would hit the frame.

Carbon or alloy? What size frame?

Carbon, size large.
Thanks, I have a medium alloy and debating on removing a spacer

Posted: Dec 9, 2021 at 7:34 Quote
After 2 months of waiting my e-Storia has arrived. Fitment on a medium v2 frame for anyone interested. Cannot wait to get this on trail… looks badass next to the nickel plated cc link! Next thing to solve is preventing shock and bottle from colliding.

Posted: Dec 9, 2021 at 7:43 Quote
That nickel-plated link looks great! Do you know if there are any plans to make another run of those as neither the black nor the purple is particularly appealing to me.

Posted: Dec 9, 2021 at 7:47 Quote
Dragonfly- wrote:
That nickel-plated link looks great! Do you know if there are any plans to make another run of those as neither the black nor the purple is particularly appealing to me.

I don’t and it’s doesn’t sound like soon. I’ve got a few small chips in the finish and my options were black or purple for warranty replacement. Opted to continue to run this one and see if chipping gets worse

Posted: Dec 9, 2021 at 8:54 Quote
SquattiePippen wrote:
After 2 months of waiting my e-Storia has arrived. Fitment on a medium v2 frame for anyone interested. Cannot wait to get this on trail… looks badass next to the nickel plated cc link! Next thing to solve is preventing shock and bottle from colliding.

I admire your patience. It's going to be worth it!

Posted: Dec 9, 2021 at 9:56 Quote
SquattiePippen wrote:

i wonder if the size/shape of the reservoir has any affect on how the shock feels. did syndicate or ext say anything about it?

Posted: Dec 9, 2021 at 10:56 Quote
[Quote="whiteranger3"]
SquattiePippen wrote:

i wonder if the size/shape of the reservoir has any affect on how the shock feels. did syndicate or ext say anything about it?

originally I was going to stick with the storia v3 and have their shorter reservoir mounted (5mm shorter) but all the guys at syndicate suggested I go with the e-storia and said it's superior in every way to the storia, so that's the direction I went. other coil shocks on the market have similar reservoir design, and I can't imagine EXT would release something inferior to the storia v3 especially when they claim it's newer/better/increased capabilities. I'm sure some engineering folks on here can help answer though or tear this one down because I am curious :-)

Posted: Dec 9, 2021 at 13:04 Quote
[Quote="SquattiePippen"]
whiteranger3 wrote:
SquattiePippen wrote:

originally I was going to stick with the storia v3 and have their shorter reservoir mounted (5mm shorter) but all the guys at syndicate suggested I go with the e-storia and said it's superior in every way to the storia, so that's the direction I went. other coil shocks on the market have similar reservoir design, and I can't imagine EXT would release something inferior to the storia v3 especially when they claim it's newer/better/increased capabilities. I'm sure some engineering folks on here can help answer though or tear this one down because I am curious :-)

Looking sharp! Can't wait to hear your riding feeback after all these adventures! Good luck man.

Also let me know how the fork feels. Still debating whether or not I should swap out back to a 36 or just decrease travel from 170mm to 160mm on the Zeb for better climbing efficiency.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009283
Mobile Version of Website