Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 21:22 Quote
Anyone ridden other bikes that stacked up to the sentinel? I have been super stoked on it and was thinking about bikes today but was drawing blanks of what other bike I would want. This thing is just so sweet!

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 10:18 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
Anyone ridden other bikes that stacked up to the sentinel? I have been super stoked on it and was thinking about bikes today but was drawing blanks of what other bike I would want. This thing is just so sweet!
My other bike is a hardtail. lol

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 21:32 Quote
bike2850 wrote:

Kona Process 153: Similar reach and leverage curve, but steeper head angle and less anti-squat.
Bird Aeris AM9: With a 160 mm fork, the geometry is pretty similar, but the frame is less stiff. AM9 leverage curve is a lot more progressive and the anti-squat is a touch higher.
Last Glen: More progressive leverage curve; otherwise similar.
Fezzari La Sal: Pretty similar. Slightly steeper head angle. Steeper seat tube angle, so slide the seat back on the rails to replicate the Sentinel's seating position.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 15:29 Quote
The Yeti SB150 would be one bike that might surpass the Sentinel.
got to be a dentist to afford one Beer

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 17:39 Quote
bike2850 wrote:

My shortlist is Sentinel, Ripmo, La Sal and the new Hightower. I’ve ridden all except the HT but a friend has one on order. He’ll prob go 160 up front. A Ripmo with an X2 and angleset might get close to the Sentinel on the dh but will still climb better.

I didn’t care for the Process 153 29 (carbon) or the Stumpy EVO (alu) when I demoed them. Haven’t ridden an sb150 yet but that’s a whole other beast. The 130 is rad tho and I think the lunch ride setup (136r/160f) is a great idea.

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 13:55 Quote
All, might be able to score a good deal on a 2019 carbon frame.
I’d be swapping everything over from my Jeffsy.
The thing is the pike I have is 140mm. So a Sentinel with 140/140 front and rear.
So, smart idea or bad idea. I would enjoy the the not as slack angle from a shorter axle to crown height.

You all are smarter than me.
Help.

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 13:58 Quote
slayersxc17 wrote:
The thing is the pike I have is 140mm. So a Sentinel with 140/140 front and rear.
So, smart idea or bad idea. I would enjoy the the not as slack angle from a shorter axle to crown height.

Help.

only concern might be the lower than low BB coupled with the cranks from the Jeffsy (I believe sentinels come with 170 arm length stock) and of course the fork offset (which I don't know for the Jeffsy). Might be worth selling the fork and buying a used lyrik RC with the right offset for the SBG (that is Transition's trademark). (did I use enough brackets? (yeah I think I did.))

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 14:04 Quote
slayersxc17 wrote:

Help.

What appeals to you about the Sentinel that makes you still want it when it has different travel and geometry? Long reach? Steep seat-tube angle? Something else?

A clearer picture of your priorities will help us to give focused advice.

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 15:33 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
slayersxc17 wrote:

Help.

What appeals to you about the Sentinel that makes you still want it when it has different travel and geometry? Long reach? Steep seat-tube angle? Something else?

Yeah pretty the steeper seat angle. Which is steeper on the Sentinel. My pike has a 44 offset already, so I would love to try the SBG. Heard so many great things. I want to try carbon, and I had a dirtbag years ago, and wish I never sold it. I rode with the transition guys years ago, I have wanted to be apart of the Transition family again ever since.

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 16:32 Quote
slayersxc17 wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
slayersxc17 wrote:

Help.

Yeah pretty the steeper seat angle. Which is steeper on the Sentinel. My pike has a 44 offset already, so I would love to try the SBG. Heard so many great things. I want to try carbon, and I had a dirtbag years ago, and wish I never sold it. I rode with the transition guys years ago, I have wanted to be apart of the Transition family again ever since.

The offset is not important to SBG - well, not exactly. SBG is just an unnecessary marketing term to say they increased the trail via reduced offset, rather than standard (51 mm, at the time) offset and a slacker head angle. There's nothing magic about 44 mm. They probably would've taken it a step further with 40 mm, 35 mm - who knows! - if those offsets were available to them at the time.

Let me reiterate for clarity: the intended handling is not a result of a 44 mm offset; it's a result of, among other things, the trail created by a 44 mm offset and the original head angle. You cannot retain the intended handling by changing the head angle (via a shorter fork) and simply using a 44 mm offset.

That's fine, though, as there's nothing to say the original handling was perfect. Designers in 1998 thought their bikes had perfect handling, too. So feel free to experiment - that's what the Transition designers did and they came up with something they liked better. Maybe you will, too.

Back to the situation at hand ...

Effects of the shorter fork:

- Less trail. Less stability, but also more agility.
- Same head angle at bottom-out, so not necessary more likely to get squirrely when under big impacts.
- Lower front end. You may want to increase your bar height. Or not, as the stack was already higher than average.
- Steeper seat-tube angle. It was already steeper than most, but I'd be the last person to say this is a bad thing.
- Slightly lower BB. Not much. Barely worth considering.

One of the metrics I track is [seat-tube angle] - [head-tube angle]; it's a great indicator of "modern" geometry. There are roughly 70 models with values similar or higher than that of the Sentinel, so it's not your only option.

The Sentinel also has very high anti-squat, which I like. If I include a filter for high anti-squat, we're suddenly left with 17 options.

Now let's filter for max. 160 mm of travel to avoid things getting weird with a short fork: 13 options.

Eliminate anything with more than 140 mm of rear travel: 6 options (7 if you include the RipMo at 145 mm), and one of them is a prototype.

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol
Last Glen
Nicolai Saturn 14
Stanton Switch9er FS
Terrain Control (prototype)
Transition Sentinel

If I was you, I'd over-fork a Trail Pistol, rather than under-fork a Sentinel. Actually, if I was you, I'd just sell the damn fork, buy a used 160 mm fork for the same price, and stop basing the purchase of a new bike around an easily-replaced part you have on hand!

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 16:48 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
slayersxc17 wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

The offset is not important to SBG - well, not exactly. SBG is just an unnecessary marketing term to say they increased the trail via reduced offset, rather than standard (51 mm, at the time) offset and a slacker head angle. There's nothing magic about 44 mm. They probably would've taken it a step further with 40 mm, 35 mm - who knows! - if those offsets were available to them at the time.

Let me reiterate for clarity: the intended handling is not a result of a 44 mm offset; it's a result of, among other things, the trail created by a 44 mm offset and the original head angle. You cannot retain the intended handling by changing the head angle (via a shorter fork) and simply using a 44 mm offset.

That's fine, though, as there's nothing to say the original handling was perfect. Designers in 1998 thought their bikes had perfect handling, too. So feel free to experiment - that's what the Transition designers did and they came up with something they liked better. Maybe you will, too.

Back to the situation at hand ...

Effects of the shorter fork:

- Less trail. Less stability, but also more agility.
- Same head angle at bottom-out, so not necessary more likely to get squirrely when under big impacts.
- Lower front end. You may want to increase your bar height. Or not, as the stack was already higher than average.
- Steeper seat-tube angle. It was already steeper than most, but I'd be the last person to say this is a bad thing.
- Slightly lower BB. Not much. Barely worth considering.

One of the metrics I track is [seat-tube angle] - [head-tube angle]; it's a great indicator of "modern" geometry. There are roughly 70 models with values similar or higher than that of the Sentinel, so it's not your only option.

The Sentinel also has very high anti-squat, which I like. If I include a filter for high anti-squat, we're suddenly left with 17 options.

Now let's filter for max. 160 mm of travel to avoid things getting weird with a short fork: 13 options.

Eliminate anything with more than 140 mm of rear travel: 6 options (7 if you include the RipMo at 145 mm), and one of them is a prototype.

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol
Last Glen
Nicolai Saturn 14
Stanton Switch9er FS
Terrain Control (prototype)
Transition Sentinel

If I was you, I'd over-fork a Trail Pistol, rather than under-fork a Sentinel. Actually, if I was you, I'd just sell the damn fork, buy a used 160 mm fork for the same price, and stop basing the purchase of a new bike around an easily-replaced part you have on hand!

Hmm, well I’m glad I asked. Might need to think this a bit more.
Thanks

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 14:42 Quote
If any one wants a DVO Jade coil shock for there bike let me know. I have one to sell.
Thanks

Posted: Sep 14, 2019 at 13:47 Quote
Ive got a push 11.6 shock i pulled off my sentinel when i sold the bike. Message me if anyone wants a good deal on the best shock out there. Sentinel felt amazing with the 11.6

Posted: Sep 14, 2019 at 19:59 Quote
Anyone heard any news on the 2020 sentinel? I read on another forum that they’re waiting to release it for a little while buy it will have more travel, different geo - still in SBG but something like 63.5 head angle. Thoughts?

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 7:40 Quote
gofastdrinkbeer wrote:
Anyone heard any news on the 2020 sentinel? I read on another forum that they’re waiting to release it for a little while buy it will have more travel, different geo - still in SBG but something like 63.5 head angle. Thoughts?

Interesting all the rumors I have heard say no changes for the sentinel besides some components

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.094736
Mobile Version of Website