Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Author Message
Posted: Jan 12, 2022 at 14:05 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
mustclime wrote:
padenw24 wrote:
Does anyone have a weight for the alloy GX build?

32.5 lbs tubeless and no peddles size medium v1.
Went to 33.2 lbs with a CC link and no volume reducers in the shock. No peddles

Hope that helps… fyi…the stock bars and stem are really heavy. the stock cranks on the 2019 are 175mm drilled for 170mm..

I think the new ones are a fair bit heavier than that.
We have a couple in the shop, I'll try to remember to weigh one tomorrow.

Medium Alloy Sentinel GX with some cheapie test ride pedals weighs 35.9lbs

Posted: Jan 12, 2022 at 17:56 Quote
Yea, the v2 has longer chain stays, longer top tube and there is a lot more mass around the bb/ lower shock mount.

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 7:46 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:
mustclime wrote:


32.5 lbs tubeless and no peddles size medium v1.
Went to 33.2 lbs with a CC link and no volume reducers in the shock. No peddles

Hope that helps… fyi…the stock bars and stem are really heavy. the stock cranks on the 2019 are 175mm drilled for 170mm..

I think the new ones are a fair bit heavier than that.
We have a couple in the shop, I'll try to remember to weigh one tomorrow.

Medium Alloy Sentinel GX with some cheapie test ride pedals weighs 35.9lbs

Awesome thank you.

Posted: Jan 14, 2022 at 12:52 Quote
Thinking about picking up a Sentinel to replace my stumpy Evo. Anybody ridden both? I cracked my downtube on my stumpy and apparently it's a fairly common problem so I'm thinking about getting something different for this season. Anybody ridden both bikes? Have there been many reports of these carbon frames cracking?

Posted: Jan 14, 2022 at 12:57 Quote
cmarwood wrote:
Thinking about picking up a Sentinel to replace my stumpy Evo. Anybody ridden both? I cracked my downtube on my stumpy and apparently it's a fairly common problem so I'm thinking about getting something different for this season. Anybody ridden both bikes? Have there been many reports of these carbon frames cracking?

I borrowed an alloy evo waiting for my sentinel to come in. This was the 2019 evo so maybe not a direct comparison. Front end felt really low on the evo. I eventually got used to it but I prefer something a little higher at 6'1", mostly for climbing. Felt like I had a ton of weight on my hands. I could never get the rear shock dialed in. It either would feel good off the top and bottom out all the time or I'd have to run a ton of pressure to avoid bottoming out but then it wouldn't track well.

So I was pretty happy when my sentinel finally came in as I didn't really enjoy the evo that much besides the geometry.

Posted: Jan 14, 2022 at 13:08 Quote
duffman1976 wrote:
cmarwood wrote:
Thinking about picking up a Sentinel to replace my stumpy Evo. Anybody ridden both? I cracked my downtube on my stumpy and apparently it's a fairly common problem so I'm thinking about getting something different for this season. Anybody ridden both bikes? Have there been many reports of these carbon frames cracking?

I borrowed an alloy evo waiting for my sentinel to come in. This was the 2019 evo so maybe not a direct comparison. Front end felt really low on the evo. I eventually got used to it but I prefer something a little higher at 6'1", mostly for climbing. Felt like I had a ton of weight on my hands. I could never get the rear shock dialed in. It either would feel good off the top and bottom out all the time or I'd have to run a ton of pressure to avoid bottoming out but then it wouldn't track well.

So I was pretty happy when my sentinel finally came in as I didn't really enjoy the evo that much besides the geometry.
good to know, thanks. I definitely know what you mean with the rear shock. I got the cascade link and that did help a lot but still haven't been able to dial it in perfect. What size Sentinel did you get? I'm about the same height as you.

Posted: Jan 14, 2022 at 14:02 Quote
cmarwood wrote:
duffman1976 wrote:
cmarwood wrote:
Thinking about picking up a Sentinel to replace my stumpy Evo. Anybody ridden both? I cracked my downtube on my stumpy and apparently it's a fairly common problem so I'm thinking about getting something different for this season. Anybody ridden both bikes? Have there been many reports of these carbon frames cracking?

I borrowed an alloy evo waiting for my sentinel to come in. This was the 2019 evo so maybe not a direct comparison. Front end felt really low on the evo. I eventually got used to it but I prefer something a little higher at 6'1", mostly for climbing. Felt like I had a ton of weight on my hands. I could never get the rear shock dialed in. It either would feel good off the top and bottom out all the time or I'd have to run a ton of pressure to avoid bottoming out but then it wouldn't track well.

So I was pretty happy when my sentinel finally came in as I didn't really enjoy the evo that much besides the geometry.
good to know, thanks. I definitely know what you mean with the rear shock. I got the cascade link and that did help a lot but still haven't been able to dial it in perfect. What size Sentinel did you get? I'm about the same height as you.

Large, and glad I did. Fits really well.

Posted: Jan 14, 2022 at 14:42 Quote
cmarwood wrote:
Thinking about picking up a Sentinel to replace my stumpy Evo. Anybody ridden both? I cracked my downtube on my stumpy and apparently it's a fairly common problem so I'm thinking about getting something different for this season. Anybody ridden both bikes? Have there been many reports of these carbon frames cracking?

Tranny builds their carbon frames stronger than the Big S, so +1 for a Sentinel if you're after carbon. If you're after alu, then I say just pick up an alu stumpy evo frame in s4. Tranny's alu frames are quite portly.

My friends and I ride stumpy evos, sentinels, and ripmos. Only the sentinels haven't cracked (yet).

Oh yeah, and the old stumpy evo was just ass. I demoed it after several demos on the sentinel v1 (which I now own) and it was a poor copy of a sentinel. The new evo looks to have fixed the kinematic and geo issues with the old one but as you and many others have experienced they went too light on the downtube and it's cracking (my friend cracked his too). I do like the mullet link option tho so I think the alu evo is still a good option.

Posted: Jan 14, 2022 at 15:04 Quote
Hi all ! I have this for sale if any one is interested: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3242212/

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 22:42 Quote
will be picking up a carbon frame of one of these 2 bikes. i feel like i change my mind hourly on which one is the one.

2021 Sentinel or 2021 RM instinct for San Diego and so cal riding. We are getting a new downhill park this summer in northern San Diego county so i will have 3-4 parks to ride within 2 hours, and all the other trails southern cal offers. I still pedal a decent amount mon - friday to earn my downhills but i hear great things about both bikes ability to pedal. The ability to change the instinct to an altitude seems interesting for bike park weekends, if it would even be necessary.

Would love to hear any and all input

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 2:03 Quote
DJVanMeter wrote:
will be picking up a carbon frame of one of these 2 bikes. i feel like i change my mind hourly on which one is the one.

2021 Sentinel or 2021 RM instinct for San Diego and so cal riding. We are getting a new downhill park this summer in northern San Diego county so i will have 3-4 parks to ride within 2 hours, and all the other trails southern cal offers. I still pedal a decent amount mon - friday to earn my downhills but i hear great things about both bikes ability to pedal. The ability to change the instinct to an altitude seems interesting for bike park weekends, if it would even be necessary.

Would love to hear any and all input

Sentinel with cascade link and a high end shock is pretty hard to beat for a race-ready enduro bike that can mix it up in the park all day. Beyond the frame quality and geometry, you're getting the best customer service in the industry with transition. That being said, I have no experience with Rocky ownership, nor have I ever ridden one.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 2:50 Quote
DJVanMeter wrote:
will be picking up a carbon frame of one of these 2 bikes. i feel like i change my mind hourly on which one is the one.

2021 Sentinel or 2021 RM instinct for San Diego and so cal riding. We are getting a new downhill park this summer in northern San Diego county so i will have 3-4 parks to ride within 2 hours, and all the other trails southern cal offers. I still pedal a decent amount mon - friday to earn my downhills but i hear great things about both bikes ability to pedal. The ability to change the instinct to an altitude seems interesting for bike park weekends, if it would even be necessary.

Would love to hear any and all input

if you were talking RM Altitude, It would make me think, but not Instinct. What I can say to you is that the Sentinel rides well, both dow and up, and its a good bike for full days. One thing that puts me off the RM is the press fit BB's...in the UK its not ideal but it might not be the case for you. Only downside of the Sentinel is the paint is fragile, shall we say.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 3:35 Quote
just a quick one - i got my alloy sentinel last week - really pleased with it just waiting for a daytime ride to get some pics Big Grin

but quick one im pretty sure i have a knock/klunk on the supplied Float X shock, has anyone else had this on theirs?

basically pushing down on the saddle, the very first bit of travel (around sag point) i get a knock once its deep in its travel its silent and if i push through all the travel its fine, but just if i almost lightly fast push down on the saddle it will do it every time?

so picture riding over small roots, chatter etc, thats about where the noise comes in, almost feel it through the frame and hear it a bit on such things like roots/small chatter

ive had this on a RS super deluxe ultimate, but my cure was to always go and buy a fox shock!

any one else with similar, i know they are newish shocks and not too many alloy sentinels out there

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 8:12 Quote
DJVanMeter wrote:
will be picking up a carbon frame of one of these 2 bikes. i feel like i change my mind hourly on which one is the one.

2021 Sentinel or 2021 RM instinct for San Diego and so cal riding. We are getting a new downhill park this summer in northern San Diego county so i will have 3-4 parks to ride within 2 hours, and all the other trails southern cal offers. I still pedal a decent amount mon - friday to earn my downhills but i hear great things about both bikes ability to pedal. The ability to change the instinct to an altitude seems interesting for bike park weekends, if it would even be necessary.

Would love to hear any and all input

I'm in san diego and ride a sentinel with a 170 fox 38 and a coil shock. had a chance to ride an altitude at mammoth bike park. i much preferred my sentinel. if you're worried about the rear travel, get a cascade link

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 8:12 Quote
gbcarmona wrote:
DJVanMeter wrote:
will be picking up a carbon frame of one of these 2 bikes. i feel like i change my mind hourly on which one is the one.

2021 Sentinel or 2021 RM instinct for San Diego and so cal riding. We are getting a new downhill park this summer in northern San Diego county so i will have 3-4 parks to ride within 2 hours, and all the other trails southern cal offers. I still pedal a decent amount mon - friday to earn my downhills but i hear great things about both bikes ability to pedal. The ability to change the instinct to an altitude seems interesting for bike park weekends, if it would even be necessary.

Would love to hear any and all input

if you were talking RM Altitude, It would make me think, but not Instinct. What I can say to you is that the Sentinel rides well, both dow and up, and its a good bike for full days. One thing that puts me off the RM is the press fit BB's...in the UK its not ideal but it might not be the case for you. Only downside of the Sentinel is the paint is fragile, shall we say.

with the instinct at 140R/160F (setup im lookin at) and the altitude at 160R/170F it seems like the instinct would be the closer comparison no? i get the transition is much slacker and looks like an enduro sled on paper, but everything im seeing from reviewers say its a super aggressively slack all mountain bike.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006141
Mobile Version of Website