Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 8:30 Quote
I love seeing all the Sentinels in SD. I just moved down a few months ago from Seattle and didn't expect to see so many Transitions.

That said, I'm downsizing from my 170/160 bike to an alloy Sentinel that should be here in 3 weeks. I pedal for all my rides right now and the Sentinel seemed like a perfect choice with a little less travel, but slacker HT, etc. compared to what I have right now. Having the option for a link and increasing travel if I ever desire helped my choice as well.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 9:53 Quote
DJVanMeter wrote:
gbcarmona wrote:
DJVanMeter wrote:
will be picking up a carbon frame of one of these 2 bikes. i feel like i change my mind hourly on which one is the one.

2021 Sentinel or 2021 RM instinct for San Diego and so cal riding. We are getting a new downhill park this summer in northern San Diego county so i will have 3-4 parks to ride within 2 hours, and all the other trails southern cal offers. I still pedal a decent amount mon - friday to earn my downhills but i hear great things about both bikes ability to pedal. The ability to change the instinct to an altitude seems interesting for bike park weekends, if it would even be necessary.

Would love to hear any and all input

if you were talking RM Altitude, It would make me think, but not Instinct. What I can say to you is that the Sentinel rides well, both dow and up, and its a good bike for full days. One thing that puts me off the RM is the press fit BB's...in the UK its not ideal but it might not be the case for you. Only downside of the Sentinel is the paint is fragile, shall we say.

with the instinct at 140R/160F (setup im lookin at) and the altitude at 160R/170F it seems like the instinct would be the closer comparison no? i get the transition is much slacker and looks like an enduro sled on paper, but everything im seeing from reviewers say its a super aggressively slack all mountain bike.

Yes you are correct...I was I trying to say is that I think the Altitude might be superior to the Sentinel whilst the Instinct to me is inferior, so why consider something inferior?
Im also going to run my sentinel now with a Push and 38's at the front...still same geo and travel but I hope these changes will make the bike better in many ways, closer to the feel of an enduro bike.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 9:58 Quote
ernn wrote:
I love seeing all the Sentinels in SD. I just moved down a few months ago from Seattle and didn't expect to see so many Transitions.

That said, I'm downsizing from my 170/160 bike to an alloy Sentinel that should be here in 3 weeks. I pedal for all my rides right now and the Sentinel seemed like a perfect choice with a little less travel, but slacker HT, etc. compared to what I have right now. Having the option for a link and increasing travel if I ever desire helped my choice as well.

Haha San Diego represent!
I don't have a sentinel, but you might see me around on a Scout or Patrol.
Speaking of, the shop I work at has a handful of alloy sentinels in stock, and a spire, if anyone in town is looking... Wink
(Mjs Cyclery)

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 10:01 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
ernn wrote:

Haha San Diego represent!
I don't have a sentinel, but you might see me around on a Scout or Patrol.
Speaking of, the shop I work at has a handful of alloy sentinels in stock, and a spire, if anyone in town is looking... Wink
(Mjs Cyclery)

I may have spoken to you on the phone over the last few months haha. I was looking for framesets locally when I first moved down. Still looking for a new LBS, I'll have to stop in!

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 22:53 Quote
Didzy2009 wrote:
just a quick one - i got my alloy sentinel last week - really pleased with it just waiting for a daytime ride to get some pics Big Grin

but quick one im pretty sure i have a knock/klunk on the supplied Float X shock, has anyone else had this on theirs?

basically pushing down on the saddle, the very first bit of travel (around sag point) i get a knock once its deep in its travel its silent and if i push through all the travel its fine, but just if i almost lightly fast push down on the saddle it will do it every time?

so picture riding over small roots, chatter etc, thats about where the noise comes in, almost feel it through the frame and hear it a bit on such things like roots/small chatter

ive had this on a RS super deluxe ultimate, but my cure was to always go and buy a fox shock!

any one else with similar, i know they are newish shocks and not too many alloy sentinels out there

Happening on x2 shocks supplied on other transition completes, but this the first I’ve read of it happening with float X. Send it back to Fox to see if they can fix it.

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 1:57 Quote
Muchogusto wrote:
Didzy2009 wrote:
just a quick one - i got my alloy sentinel last week - really pleased with it just waiting for a daytime ride to get some pics Big Grin

but quick one im pretty sure i have a knock/klunk on the supplied Float X shock, has anyone else had this on theirs?

basically pushing down on the saddle, the very first bit of travel (around sag point) i get a knock once its deep in its travel its silent and if i push through all the travel its fine, but just if i almost lightly fast push down on the saddle it will do it every time?

so picture riding over small roots, chatter etc, thats about where the noise comes in, almost feel it through the frame and hear it a bit on such things like roots/small chatter

ive had this on a RS super deluxe ultimate, but my cure was to always go and buy a fox shock!

any one else with similar, i know they are newish shocks and not too many alloy sentinels out there

Happening on x2 shocks supplied on other transition completes, but this the first I’ve read of it happening with float X. Send it back to Fox to see if they can fix it.

Interesting thanks i did have a read through pretty much all this thread and couldnt spot anything obvious with issues with the X2? i read a few reviews of the bike with the same issue with rockshox super deluxe ultimate shock but not the x2?

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 8:58 Quote
Didzy2009 wrote:
Muchogusto wrote:
Didzy2009 wrote:

Interesting thanks i did have a read through pretty much all this thread and couldnt spot anything obvious with issues with the X2? i read a few reviews of the bike with the same issue with rockshox super deluxe ultimate shock but not the x2?

Fox doesn’t tell you what is wrong with them specifically but the shock is pretty much non functional from the factory then they do a quick fix under warranty and then it falls apart again from what I’ve been told by those experiencing the quality issues.

Maybe try the warranty process once or twice... if you keep having the issues like some others, it can likely be addressed properly by sending it off to an independent like butter suspension, the shock howse, suspension syndicate, etc

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 12:00 Quote
Muchogusto wrote:
Maybe try the warranty process once or twice... if you keep having the issues like some others, it can likely be addressed properly by sending it off to an independent like butter suspension, the shock howse, suspension syndicate, etc

but better hurry if you want to use it twice, the warranty is only good for a year (mine broke for the first time after 11 months tup ). Are independent places able to permanently fix the X2? One told me it was basically a design flaw (stanchion/eyelet separation)

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 12:24 Quote
olslash wrote:
Muchogusto wrote:

but better hurry if you want to use it twice, the warranty is only good for a year (mine broke for the first time after 11 months tup ). Are independent places able to permanently fix the X2? One told me it was basically a design flaw (stanchion/eyelet separation)

Buddy had it come back and fail immediately. So the 2x was well within warranty period. I guess it depends on the issue as to whether or not it can be fixed. I ride ext and ohlins these days, but have a bomber z1 fork. So far so good

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 15:17 Quote
Didzy2009 wrote:
Thanks guys

This is a video of the knock in question I’ve been liasing with a few folk who have the alloy with the same shock and there’s don’t make this noise

What you think? Sounds like a clear knock to me and not something I’ve experienced on any other shock

youtu.be/4v3jfReZDw0

Also any reason a cane creek kitsuma coil shock won’t fit????? Can anyone confirm it looks likely a friends kindly lending me one in the right size so I’ll be able to confirm if it is the shock making the knock or not

Not trying to "Knock" anyone, but does it impact how the bike rides? or is it just the sound and people chasing waterfalls

If it doesnt impact the ride- Just ride away

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 17:08 Quote
Didzy2009 wrote:
Thanks guys

This is a video of the knock in question I’ve been liasing with a few folk who have the alloy with the same shock and there’s don’t make this noise

What you think? Sounds like a clear knock to me and not something I’ve experienced on any other shock

youtu.be/4v3jfReZDw0

Also any reason a cane creek kitsuma coil shock won’t fit????? Can anyone confirm it looks likely a friends kindly lending me one in the right size so I’ll be able to confirm if it is the shock making the knock or not

Float X on my Stumpy has been fine, no knocks or weird noises

Are all of the adjustments on the shock effective and working properly? Have you gone through and pulled apart the shock mounting hardware and all of the pivots to make sure they are tight and right? My V1 alloy Sentinel made all kinds of noises after the first few rides as the factory assembly job was pretty crap as were the stock pivot bearings

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 0:52 Quote
ehfour wrote:
Didzy2009 wrote:
Thanks guys

youtu.be/4v3jfReZDw0

Not trying to "Knock" anyone, but does it impact how the bike rides? or is it just the sound and people chasing waterfalls

i know what you mean and if it wasnt noticeable other than pushing down on it id agree - but you can hear this knock over roots and small chatter - because the knock occurs right in or about the sag point so every time your riding mellower trails with little trail chatter / roots you can hear the knock/rattle over the back end which is pretty damn annoying

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 0:54 Quote
Didzy2009 wrote:
ehfour wrote:
Didzy2009 wrote:
Thanks guys

i know what you mean and if it wasnt noticeable other than pushing down on it id agree - but you can hear this knock over roots and small chatter - because the knock occurs right in or about the sag point so every time your riding mellower trails with little trail chatter / roots you can hear the knock/rattle over the back end which is pretty damn annoying

this is the interesting thing ref the adjustments - ive tried the shock fully open lsc, fully open rebound, vice versa, and each one oppoisite ends, i cant say as i feel they do anything entirely different! usually on a brand new shock the rebound full slowest setting is usually damn damn slow to return, i dont think this feel noticeable different at either end, certainly not like what i was expecting, and the same for the LSC, it doesn feel any firmer to push down on the fully open, unless of course its not supposed to be as apparent on the new float x??

does your float x on stumpy go really slow when you wind the reboud all the way in? i guess this could prove theres something not right with the shock for me

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 6:36 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
Didzy2009 wrote:
Thanks guys

youtu.be/4v3jfReZDw0

Float X on my Stumpy has been fine, no knocks or weird noises

Are all of the adjustments on the shock effective and working properly? Have you gone through and pulled apart the shock mounting hardware and all of the pivots to make sure they are tight and right? My V1 alloy Sentinel made all kinds of noises after the first few rides as the factory assembly job was pretty crap as were the stock pivot bearings

Wow, I could not disagree more on the factory assembly job. My bike has been great for 2 hard years. As for the bearings, blasting water past the water seals is not your friend.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006428
Mobile Version of Website