Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 7:42 Quote
My buddy has a float X that came on his scout alloy, bike was creaky as a mfer, serviced all the pivots and everything thinking it had to be that....
The air can was a full turn loose on the shock from the factory, that is what was creaking. Rolleyes

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 10:52 Quote
mustclime wrote:
Wow, I could not disagree more on the factory assembly job. My bike has been great for 2 hard years. As for the bearings, blasting water past the water seals is not your friend.

Yeah I know how to wash a bike thank you, that said I pretty much never wash my bikes with water unless I ride in mud/rain (rare in Cali)

Factory assembly jobs vary a ton with most brands. I worked at a TR dealer for years and my frame was far from the only one with a dry assembly and quick-wearing bearings but I wouldn't say the TR's were any worse than the other "reputable" brands we had

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 12:52 Quote
https://youtube.com/shorts/n298EU1Z14g?feature=share

Well for future reference for anyone else

Fitted a coil as a friend kindly lent it me to test/rule out the shock knocking

And boom the coil is silent no knock at all

Tbh I stripped the rear end completely back took it apart everything seemed good, gave it a good layer of grease and retorqued without shock in place and the linkage was smooth no noise no nothing … put the float x back on and knock there again … took it off put coil back on and boom silence again

So defo the shock for me on this instance! Hopefully I can get it sorted and they don’t just send it back and say there’s nothing up with it Frown

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 16:22 Quote
Didzy2009 wrote:
https://youtube.com/shorts/n298EU1Z14g?feature=share

Well for future reference for anyone else

Fitted a coil as a friend kindly lent it me to test/rule out the shock knocking

And boom the coil is silent no knock at all

Tbh I stripped the rear end completely back took it apart everything seemed good, gave it a good layer of grease and retorqued without shock in place and the linkage was smooth no noise no nothing … put the float x back on and knock there again … took it off put coil back on and boom silence again

So defo the shock for me on this instance! Hopefully I can get it sorted and they don’t just send it back and say there’s nothing up with it Frown

Fox turn to rule out a doa shock.

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 7:16 Quote
What forks are everyone running? Currently have a DVO Onyx and am semi Lyrik curious since I could knock a pound off the total bike weight (no joke). Would then probably run a super deluxe ultimate to replace the Topaz as well because mixing suspension brands is a no-go in my book lol

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 12:26 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
What forks are everyone running? Currently have a DVO Onyx and am semi Lyrik curious since I could knock a pound off the total bike weight (no joke). Would then probably run a super deluxe ultimate to replace the Topaz as well because mixing suspension brands is a no-go in my book lol

Lyrik is probably the fork you (and everyone) ever needs…it’s very good! Simple to setup, great performance!

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 13:57 Quote
I’m running a lyrik ultimate on my sentinel, got an ohlins coil on the rear. Could care less about mixing suspension brands!
Lyrik has been on my last 3 bikes. It just works, set and forget!

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 21:48 Quote
lyrik is a fantastic fork. I got Zeb curious after running a lyrik ultimate on my V2 for 2 years and i'm very happy. Can't go wrong with many modern forks these days.

Lyrik
Zeb
mezzer
Helm
onyx
bomber

there's a good fork that fits everyone's budget and fancy!

Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 8:57 Quote
I’ll be running my Zeb on mine. I haven’t ridden a 36 or a 38 but would like to try eventually.

I did really like the Mezzer and would like to go back to it at some point as well (now that I’m more competent in setup/tuning).

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 6:17 Quote
Factory assembly on my sentinel was decent. Rear brake was a little soft but rideable. I eventually re-bled it myself. And the cranks almost fell off a month or so in. Every bike previous the cranks were over torqued and a bitch to get off so I didn’t mind that. But the pivots never came loose. Bearings were rock solid the whole time. Just don’t wash your bike after every damn ride. Give it a wipe down if you must. Save the blasting water at it for when you ride through some cow patties.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 6:48 Quote
i know all shocks vary etc - but what sort of coil spring weight for a 75kg rider kitted? with it being a progressive design can you go lighter or just stick around normal?

fwiw ive used a 400 and 425 previously is there any reason to change if i go down the coil route?

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 10:15 Quote
Didzy2009 wrote:
i know all shocks vary etc - but what sort of coil spring weight for a 75kg rider kitted? with it being a progressive design can you go lighter or just stick around normal?

fwiw ive used a 400 and 425 previously is there any reason to change if i go down the coil route?

i've found the calculator to always be spot on for me across different shocks, bikes, etc.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 10:22 Quote
Didzy2009 wrote:

You’ll want to go lighter on the Sentinel I think, I’m on a 435 lbs coil and I weigh 83kg kitted.

The tftuned calculator suggests 380lbs for your weight.
https://www.tftuned.com/spring-calculator

It’s more about the leverage ratio than the progression and the sentinel has a lowish ratio with 150mm travel from a 62.5mm stroke (versus say a Jeffsy which gets 150mm from a 55mm stroke).

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 10:39 Quote
SquattiePippen wrote:
Didzy2009 wrote:

i've found the calculator to always be spot on for me across different shocks, bikes, etc

https://www.tftuned.com/spring-calculator.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 10:59 Quote
appltn wrote:
Didzy2009 wrote:

You’ll want to go lighter on the Sentinel I think, I’m on a 435 lbs coil and I weigh 83kg kitted.

The tftuned calculator suggests 380lbs for your weight.
https://www.tftuned.com/spring-calculator

It’s more about the leverage ratio than the progression and the sentinel has a lowish ratio with 150mm travel from a 62.5mm stroke (versus say a Jeffsy which gets 150mm from a 55mm stroke).

Thanks bud this doesn’t change anything ref air shock haha just musing as I might get a coil later in the year too when I can afford it

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006577
Mobile Version of Website