Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2022 at 5:54 Quote
Didzy2009 wrote:
any one got a alloy transition sentinel with a orange 36 fork on at all?

also ive got a strange rattle thats suddenly come out of nowhere on my sentinel

ive got foam all over the cables (and its been silent for months), my forks have a bit of play in the bushing and when im descending rough stuff im getting a constant what sounds like cable rattle (which it isnt) continuously for the period of the descent - really off putting - its not from the rear end as i can hear it very audibly at the front - doesnt do it on anything flow or tame - just when its really rough? any ideas? surely has to be the forks

I got it in my Lyrik, I get it on my Zeb. It’s always headset needs tightening. I’m convinced these slack HT angles are headset killers.

Posted: Apr 22, 2022 at 7:56 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Didzy2009 wrote:

ive got foam all over the cables (and its been silent for months), my forks have a bit of play in the bushing and when im descending rough stuff im getting a constant what sounds like cable rattle (which it isnt) continuously for the period of the descent - really off putting - its not from the rear end as i can hear it very audibly at the front - doesnt do it on anything flow or tame - just when its really rough? any ideas? surely has to be the forks

Could be the dreaded CSU creak? Or headset needs a rebuild/replace?

headset ive slackened off/tightened, but not actually taken apart - so will try that next as its a easy check

yep am starting to wonder if its the CSU to be honest, because of the nature of the noise (when its rough and rocky and forks compressing loads and deep into travel etc) i wonder if the rattle is indeed just a constant little creak from the csu and it sounds like a rattle

Posted: Apr 22, 2022 at 7:58 Quote
SquattiePippen wrote:
Didzy2009 wrote:

I got it in my Lyrik, I get it on my Zeb. It’s always headset needs tightening. I’m convinced these slack HT angles are headset killers.

defo will strip headset apart and start again, worth a shot - it doesnt feel loose at the front per se, but it does feel like hollow knock along with the rattle - either CSU or bushings shot im starting to think if its not the any of the usual suspects

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2022 at 10:45 Quote
Didzy2009 wrote:
SquattiePippen wrote:
Didzy2009 wrote:

defo will strip headset apart and start again, worth a shot - it doesnt feel loose at the front per se, but it does feel like hollow knock along with the rattle - either CSU or bushings shot im starting to think if its not the any of the usual suspects

the dreaded CSU creak. ya it's sounding like more CSU vs low hanging fruit.

Posted: Apr 22, 2022 at 15:07 Quote
Didzy2009 wrote:
SquattiePippen wrote:
Didzy2009 wrote:

On mine I inserted a bit of moto foam between the cable and the frame on the cable entry ports…stops some cable rattling. Defo they should have a better system like other bikes with a screw to make it tighter!

O+
Posted: Apr 24, 2022 at 12:07 Quote
JoeBristol wrote:
Mtl1076 wrote:
Any thoughts on sizing for a 5’8” woman? Looking to get an alloy frame for my wife and of course didn’t pull the trigger before they sold out online this week. Trying to convince myself she could fit a small. Maybe go with 50mm stem?

She’s on a large 2018 stump jumper right now and constantly says it feels too big.

I’m 5’9 on a medium sentinel - I’m about a 32” leg and have short arms / torso so can’t ride really long frames. 50mm stem.

great thanks. Another question; anyone know minimum fork steerer length on a medium sentinal? Trying to buy up parts for a build and don't want to short myself.

O+
Posted: Apr 24, 2022 at 12:14 Quote
Mtl1076 wrote:
JoeBristol wrote:
Mtl1076 wrote:
Any thoughts on sizing for a 5’8” woman? Looking to get an alloy frame for my wife and of course didn’t pull the trigger before they sold out online this week. Trying to convince myself she could fit a small. Maybe go with 50mm stem?

She’s on a large 2018 stump jumper right now and constantly says it feels too big.

I’m 5’9 on a medium sentinel - I’m about a 32” leg and have short arms / torso so can’t ride really long frames. 50mm stem.

great thanks. Another question; anyone know minimum fork steerer length on a medium sentinal? Trying to buy up parts for a build and don't want to short myself.

Hmm Minimum, not sure...guess it depends on how much stack she/you want??

7" steerer gives you around 15mm to play with on the bottom

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2022 at 12:33 Quote
Anyone sporting an RS Super Deluxe Coil in the 2022 Sentinel? I was wondering whats the correct tune (2018 sentinel seems to be L/L) and maybe how it compares to other coil shocks.

The stock Float X went back to Fox because it was knocking also. Fyi: the 2022 works nicely with the DPX2 140mm option from the 2020 Sentinel frame I am still keeping. A bit snappier and easier on the climbs.

Posted: Apr 29, 2022 at 13:17 Quote
fntms wrote:
The stock Float X went back to Fox because it was knocking also. Fyi: the 2022 works nicely with the DPX2 140mm option from the 2020 Sentinel frame I am still keeping. A bit snappier and easier on the climbs.

I've noticed a clicking sound coming from the rear of my Sentinel that I'm going to keep an eye on. Did you work with Transition or go straight to Fox about the issue?

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2022 at 13:46 Quote
Straight to fox, since it’s still inside the warranty claim timeframe. Try to check the rear axle also alternatively

Posted: Apr 29, 2022 at 13:55 Quote
I kept getting a bad click that got worse and worse. Almost sounded like the BB or pivot bearing but ended up being the UDH oddly enough. Could be worth checking and giving a wipe down.

Posted: Apr 29, 2022 at 15:42 Quote
fntms wrote:
Straight to fox, since it’s still inside the warranty claim timeframe. Try to check the rear axle also alternatively

Got it. This is my first bike purchased direct-to-consumer so I'm unfamiliar with what level of support to expect post-purchase from Transition themselves.

Posted: Apr 29, 2022 at 15:52 Quote
ernn wrote:
I kept getting a bad click that got worse and worse. Almost sounded like the BB or pivot bearing but ended up being the UDH oddly enough. Could be worth checking and giving a wipe down.

Interesting. Just checked the UDH and it was nice and tight. The sound really does seem to be more forward near the front triangle somewhere. I'll keep listening for patterns as time goes on.

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2022 at 1:16 Quote
brev-ity wrote:
ernn wrote:

Interesting. Just checked the UDH and it was nice and tight. The sound really does seem to be more forward near the front triangle somewhere. I'll keep listening for patterns as time goes on.

Second that odd UDH thingy: I snapped two just installing them 20nm and when I re-installed the axle once, some noise also disappeared. Btw, my Fox warranty claim was in Germany, but should be the same on such a new shock in other places

Posted: Apr 30, 2022 at 2:46 Quote
Didzy2009 wrote:
SquattiePippen wrote:
Didzy2009 wrote:

Did you get to the bottom of this? i have a brand new 36 perf elite and it sounds like it has knocking in the air side.
the easy way to notice it is like checking headset, pull front brake and you can fell it. (my headset is good, did it up super tight to check)
If i hold the lower leg i can feel it, its like the stanction is rocking inside the lower on that side

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010425
Mobile Version of Website